Tyre sizes.

1 hour ago, Kidorry said:

The space saver is a brand new tyre because the car is only 18 month old. I would not dream of using it, only in an emergency.

You're saying it's a space saver now? 

9 hours ago, RootsBooster said:

You're saying it's a space saver now? 

Sorry about that I did say it was a space saver, but it is supposed to be a  spare tyre and the same size as the others, according to the owners manual.

9 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

Sorry about that I did say it was a space saver, but it is supposed to be a  spare tyre and the same size as the others, according to the owners manual.

Well a 185 is too big to save any space, it's likely just a steel rim supplied in order to save on cost, while I'm guessing your road wheels will be alloys (?)

Edited by RootsBooster

12 hours ago, Kidorry said:

The space saver is a brand new tyre because the car is only 18 month old. I would not dream of using it, only in an emergency.

I think you clarified that it is not a spacesaver, but just seems to be the wrong wheel.

If it IS a spacesaver it will have yellow stickers on saying that you can't drive it above 50mph/80kph.

Edited by Cyclone

Ignore the manual, what is written on the tyres? They give you the width, profile and diameter.

Never use a space saver for anything but getting the car to a garage to get the actual wheel/tyre sorted.

Reading through the thread I still can't quite work out what you're trying to do? If a tyre needs replacing then it needs replacing.

1 minute ago, probedb said:

Ignore the manual, what is written on the tyres? They give you the width, profile and diameter.

Never use a space saver for anything but getting the car to a garage to get the actual wheel/tyre sorted.

Reading through the thread I still can't quite work out what you're trying to do? If a tyre needs replacing then it needs replacing.

He's got uneven wear on a pair and was hoping to change both, but reuse the better one.

4 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

He's got uneven wear on a pair and was hoping to change both, but reuse the better one.

Thank you :)

18 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Yes, they are allowed in law as long as the intention is that its use is temporary and 50mph is the maximum speed driven.

Despite what people are saying it will NOT pass an MOT even if the wheel size and tyres are identical to the other three.

As I recall this is a new part of the MOT that came in last May, and as you say, if you present with a spacesaver fitted that will be a fail (Although not a dangerous fail)

There is only one circumstance when you can have different tyre sizes fitted, and that is when you have one witha  profile of 70 and the other with a profile of 72 - however this probably means you are fitting crossplys which is not likely to occur on modern cars.

13 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Not enough people do this.

Decent tyres can be expensive and although a spare tyre doesn't have to be road legal, on a couple of occasions I have knocked the price of a replacement spare (new or good part worh) of the purchase price.

That's the right way to do the deal. 

Angel1.