Ubuntu 18.04 now worse than M$ Windows

Let's face it Ubuntu is very conceited - at boot up in the old days you would see the old GNU/Linux boot screen, now it's Ubuntu with Linux (Oh no it's not! - in case you didn't know it's the start of the GNU/Linux Panto Season! LOL!) There was a time when GNU/Linux per se would state "Breathe life into old machines" - It would appear that M$ has grabbed hold of that ethos with Windows 10. My aging noVideo GT620 gets stuck at the loading Display drivers part of the boot script. This is a VGA connection. The card has HDMI but I wanted to see if VGA would work - seems I would need to buy a new graphics card, if nVidia then looking at minimum of nearly £200 - that's £16 more than it would cost to buy Windows 10 Pro 64-bit edition OEM. Guess it's time to migrate to BSD - at least I can put Gnome DE on that! :hihi: Have found my new rig doesn't play nice with sound in 18.04 either - the chipset is pants for GNU/Linux and so having read Audigy RX works with 18.04 and derivatives, got that - shows up, but no sound either! Tried blacklisting the HD Intel Audio (and this is an AMD mobo!) and can't demote the HD Intel Audio.

Looks like I'll need to start saving for some serious Entroware kit.

Never been fond of the Ubuntu .... In most of earlier versions failed to setup...

Me neither its just a real shame that the next release of Zorin is based on that. If anyone knows of 64-bit GNU/Linux distro that is compatible with soundblaster Audigy Rx would love to hear (no pun intended) 

Since when is W10 x64 £180? 

I paid about £20 for mine....

42 minutes ago, Ghozer said:

Since when is W10 x64 £180? 

I paid about £20 for mine....

He might be getting mixed up between Retail and OEM. I paid under a fiver for my last couple of Ebay specials

As for Ubuntu, could it just be a case of the drivers will follow?  Depending on what you do on the PC,  an upgrade to the GPU could be money well spent. 

Didn't you take advantage of the Free Offer from M$ upgrading from Win earlier version like 

M$ Win 7, 8, 8.1 to Win 10?

Sadly not all my previous machines were Win10 compatible :(

Think the offers expired Now!

Well now the Zorin Beta is out this thread can be closed - I'm just going to live with HDMI for now as far as sound goes and use Audigy Rx in Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

On 22/03/2019 at 21:38, ez8004 said:

I was referring to OEM licencing/discs. Yes I am tech savvy - that is why I won't be using Win 10 come 2020 - I'm more than happy triple-booting into Zorin 15 Beta, Feren OS and Makulu Lindoz 15 ;)

Edited by swarfendor437
typo

3 hours ago, swarfendor437 said:

I was referring to OEM licencing/discs. Yes I am tech savvy - that is why I won't be using Win 10 come 2020 - I'm more than happy triple-booting into Zorin 15 Beta, Feren OS and Makulu Lindoz 15 ;)

If you were 'tech savvy' you'd be booting up Windows 10, macOS and some (other) form of *nix.

You learn nothing from three flavours of Linux. You're literally better building from scratch than trying three distros.

7 hours ago, swarfendor437 said:

Chances are they are OEM. Retail cost a lot more. 

Quick question. Why will you be tech savvy by not using Windows come 2020? Genuine question as I don't read up on what's new or coming up with operating systems.