Rivelin Valley Road

40mph limit starts at the first bend past the entrance to the park , from Malin Bridge up past the fire station to the park it's 30mph

Yes, which is not what this said

#From Malin Bridge to the first S bend is made up of a 30 MPH

It isn't the the S bend. The 40 limit is earlier than that.

It isn't the the S bend. The 40 limit is earlier than that.

Coming down RVR there is a rather large circle on the road depicting 30 MPH as you approach the bend.

Coming out of the bend ascending RVR there is a sign stating 40 MPH approx 30ft away from Hagg Hill

just been driving along Rivelin Valley road, Fox Hagg, etc, been dismayed how many impromtu new memorials aboutt people killed along it and environs, , including a large banner saying 'murdered by this road'

I am not surprised though, the standard of driving in the semi rural/rural areas, country roads, etc,  is appalling , we have had many very near misses, drivers seem to consider it an opportunity to test their cars acceleration, etc,

RIP the victims,

Edited by gamezone07

Very few dangerous roads if used correctly, but there are many dangerous drivers out there.

Angel1.

I live near one of the main road out of Sheffield into Derbyshire(not Rivelin) and every sunny evening and Sunday morning there is a drone of very expensive motorcycles accelerating in the 30mph zone to excessive speeds.

On of the saddest sounds is that of the emergency vehicles following them. They usually come back slowly and quietly.

That "flick of the wrist" feeling is just too tempting for this species of middle aged bikers with machines they cannot handle.

Are the memorials for mostly bikers then? I see appalling driving by motorists

I think the speed cameras near  between the bridge and Hagg hill are no longer operating  . That dog leg over the bridge is notorious for black ice and the sight views at Rails Road are not good.  either. Judging by the noise when Im walking the dog the bikers are going quicker now but I've also been overtaken by cars when Im sticking to 40 mph. 

My mate used to be a paramedic regularly working on that stretch. Plenty of horrible stories but not for this forum  . 

Crash data  on here https://www.crashmap.co.uk/Search

The road itself isn't dangerous - I remember that I had my first ever driving lesson on there and was allowed to drive on it with absolutely zero driving experience.

People driving / riding in a reckless manner is dangerous though.

Edited by John_S6
typo

The junction with Rails Road is the prime location for accidents.  For eastbound traffic on Rivelin Valley Road there is no restriction on crossing the centre line even at this junction, and this may compromise the sight lines for traffic pulling out of Rails Road.  Eastbound traffic turning onto Rivelin Valley Road from Manchester Road does not always respect the lower speed limit, hence the temporary speed cameras that sometimes pop up there.

This is nothing new, there have always been fatal accidents on that road due to a combination of dangerous bends and relatively light traffic leading to speeding and careless driving. Over 50 years ago when I was a teenager  every young man did the ‘rat race’ along Rivelyn Valley Rd as soon as he got his first car

I have to agree it is the drivers that are dangerous.  The other day I was driving down near the s bend where a car had pulled over and was indicating to pull out.

I let them out to be amaized that they proceeded to do a 3point turn in the road

if anything had come round the bend it would have been messy.

Once I get onto Rivelin Valley Road at Malin Bridge  I usually check how soon a car  catches me up after turning off Holme Lane onto RVR,its usually just seconds. Whilst writing this on a Saturday afternoon in the confines of my lounge ,one motor bike and one car has just come out of the bend where Tofts Lane joins RVR that sounded very much like the speed limit had been exceeded by a large amount. From the sound of the bike  coming off the bend  and breaking at the next bend took about 5 seconds. The Farm plant and Artics that use this road will very soon get busier which always fills me with dread when the weather is good.