Rivelin Valley Road

Rivelin Valley Road is a great road, a few pot holes maybe ,but still a nice road if people just took time to look at the entire valley instead of razzing up and down on a regular basis.How I wish they would stick to 40 mph and that would make me a very happy man.Sadly I have seen too much carnage by speeding vehicles ,especially when you can hear them winding their machines up just after the first "s" bend ( that is when you are coming up)and you feel an accident coming.

Regarding the white lines, they are intermitant throughout Rivelin Valley and are used by both cyclists and joggers .I think vehicles who travel up or down are aware of the lines and that they are used .You may or may not know that there is only a path as far as the paddling pool area and so it is difficult for both walkers and cyclists.

As a footnote ,SCC do on a regular basis clean the gullies on both sides of the road but they fill back up just as quickly

Rivillin Road doesn't have many pot holes avin a laugh there,this road should be put on the the hit list to be resurface , its a disgrace many folk who come to mine , say they know they in Sheffield when they hit Rivellin Road .

No, wrong again. Smog opened by writing that a cyclist could use the cycle path. You responded by embarrassing yourself. I suggest you read, stop and think before firing off thousands of rude missives.

You're the one who's changed my "could" into a "should"... I'm not the one with a red face.

If I passed a cyclist doing a tap dance I'd pull over and watch! Maybe even throw some change at them.

I think they're more accurately described as a tapDancerIst at that point.

I'm off now to be a pedestranist for a while and later a motorian. Unfortunately I can't tap dance.

You're the one who's changed my "could" into a "should"... I'm not the one with a red face.

You're the one who changed the OP's could into a should (post #26).

I parodied you.

That was parody was it. Came a bit late, after the whole should/could issue had been resolved...

Do you think adding a dedicated cycle lane, slightly wider than the current markings and highlighted in red could have dual the effect of keeping the numerous cyclists that use the road safer and slow down the motor vehicles?

The difficulty there is the number of trees.

Debris falls onto the road quickly, passing traffic has the effect of blowing or clipping leaves and twigs into the edge, but that means that the section of tarmac to the side will still be full of hazards. No matter what the colour of the tarmac below.

I've never considered Rivelin Valley Road to be particularly dangerous. Traffic generally passes wide and safe whenever I'm cycling along it, I've only ever had one idiot shouting and bawling to get in the "bike lane". Okay he was a big idiot which meant driving alongside and swerving in, braking in front and all that nonsense. But the idiots are a minority IMO

It doesn't hurt to pull into the "off the road" bit when it's obviously clear the allow traffic to pass, that's common courtesy. As is waiting behind when it's not safe to pass or for the cyclist to move over. Which is how roads like that should work.

Edited by Squiggs

Do you think adding a dedicated cycle lane, slightly wider than the current markings and highlighted in red could have dual the effect of keeping the numerous cyclists that use the road safer and slow down the motor vehicles?

No because most of the year it will be filled with tree debris.

---------- Post added 23-07-2015 at 21:53 ----------

It doesn't hurt to pull into the "off the road" bit when it's obviously clear the allow traffic to pass, that's common courtesy. As is waiting behind when it's not safe to pass or for the cyclist to move over. Which is how roads like that should work.

Most of it is pretty wide, and not particularly busy. I've never had a problem passing a cyclist there.

I think the biggest problem on RVR is its a road of two halves. From Malin Bridge to the first S bend is made up of a 30 MPH speed limit past the paddling pool area ,then it has a couple of speed cameras approaching the first S bend which seem to have the desired effect.

However after that till Manchester Road is reached there is a 40 MPH speed limit and that`s it.You can dedicate a cycle lane,widen it and colour it what ever colour that you want,but it does not make it any safer for cyclists or anyone.

Any fatalities over the last few years have been from the second S bend to Manchester Road.

Joggers,walkers,cyclists and horse riders use the top of RVR on a regular basis,as well as the odd farmyard motor.Last evening at least 6+ motorbikes came down from Manchester Road rather quickly then coming out of the bend accelerated to 60MPH + before they had passed the houses.I think had I been a cyclist when these idiots passed ,my lycra would have been soiled.

Whilst I have never seen any close call involving cyclists etc,it just takes to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and there could be real carnage.

Cameras are a must be cameras , ideally a dedicated area for cyclists to ride and a tree bark path at the side of the road fro joggers ,walkers and horse riders.

I think the biggest problem on RVR is its a road of two halves. From Malin Bridge to the first S bend is made up of a 30 MPH speed limit past the paddling pool area ,then it has a couple of speed cameras approaching the first S bend which seem to have the desired effect.

It's a 40 limit before the cameras.

having ridden the road now around 4 times per week in both directions for the last 4 months, I must say even after high winds and heavy rain the edges of the road are rideable and the debris in most places minimal. The problem at present is that the bases of the trees are sprouting into the roadway leading to me having to move out into the main carriageway, which presumably is where I should be anyway, but it does feel safer on the inside of the rumble strip.

I admit once you get onto Manchester road out towards Hollow meadows I do feel a lot more vulnerable, with the speed of traffic and some inconsiderate drivers. the debris from recent crashes scattered on the kerb does highlight your fragility on a bike.