Rivelin Valley Road

Am I right in assuming you mean the A57 up Moscar, as opposed to Rivelin Valley Road?

RVR, which the thread is about runs from the old post office down to Malin Bridge and while you get the odd idiot, is in my opinion, generally driven quite carefully.

You are right its after the old Rivelin post office just after the White Rose Retirement home bend,its very dodgy up there alright and very noisy due to the high powered motorcycles,I would not live there if you paid me to!.

Wow, what a kind and thoughtful human you are! I would not normally have had an issue with it, as I stated. I merely thought that perhaps the cyclist in question could have used the "cycle path" (which was clear actually) if there was one. It was much more than a few seconds too. Gosh, I had forgotten how rude people could be on here.

So, to repeat. You think that if there is a cycle path, a cyclist should automatically use it so as not to inconvenience you.

I merely thought that perhaps the cyclist in question could have used the "cycle path"

So, to repeat. You think that if there is a cycle path, a cyclist should automatically use it so as not to inconvenience you.

Repeated wrongly. Could is not should.

Moving to the side to allow faster vehicles to pass where you're reasonably able to do so is simple courtesy.

That S bend is a notorious ice trap even after gritting.

Is that why the ice warning sign is there all year round just in case? or have they just forgot that its there? :hihi:

how do you mean "room to fall off"?

Falling off isn't normally part of cycling

Its like saying give other cars room to avoid their crashes

So do you not leave a safe gap from the vehicle in front then?

Indeed! I take it you do too?

But I'm not expecting them to crash.

I also leave cyclists room, but not because I'm expecting them to fall off

# all assuming normal weather conditions, not snow, ice or a force 10 gale.

You should expect cyclists to swerve and wobble more than cars, at least according to the highway code.

---------- Post added 21-07-2015 at 15:31 ----------

Repeated wrongly. Could is not should.

Moving to the side to allow faster vehicles to pass where you're reasonably able to do so is simple courtesy.

They COULD do lots of things. They COULD be doing a tap dance, but you wouldn't expect that. You shouldn't expect lots of other things as well.

Moving to the side to allow a faster vehicle to pass is dangerous. If the faster vehicle can't overtake safely, then the faster vehicle should stay behind until it can overtake.

Although if a cycle was causing a big tailback I'd expect them to move out of courtesy (which is what I'd do).

---------- Post added 21-07-2015 at 15:44 ----------

It would be most helpful if it is a cycle path if people used it. I was stuck behind a cyclist in the middle of this road in the 40 mph section - where you can't overtake. I'm normally patient with cyclists, as I am one, but I felt this was just rude if that bit is a cycle path.

Just to remind you. You thought it was rude that the cyclist was using the road and that you had to wait.

And you say it was more than a few seconds... If you had to estimate, how much longer was your entire journey made than if the cyclist hadn't been there?

You know that you can pass a cyclist if they are doing <10mph even if you have to cross the solid white lines?

They COULD be doing a tap dance

To repeat, you say that cyclists should do a tap dance. Whilst on the bike?

Despite the song lyric "coulda woulda shoulda" the words are not synonyms

Despite the song lyric "coulda woulda shoulda" the words are not synonyms

Get together with Cyclone and come back with a joint decision on that.

Didn't you just point out to me that you said "Could" and not "Should"?

And to do a tap dance they'd have to stop obviously, so they wouldn't be getting in your way, using the road, they could do the tap dance at the side.

Of course they'd probably be late to wherever they were going.

Didn't you just point out to me that you said "Could" and not "Should"?

No, wrong again. Smog opened by writing that a cyclist could use the cycle path. You responded by embarrassing yourself. I suggest you read, stop and think before firing off thousands of rude missives.