Rivelin Valley Road

Can anyone help, along much of Rivelin Valley road there is a solid white line raised in some areas and about 30 inches from the original curb and white line of which remnants can be seen, does this denote a cycle path, there are no signs to say it does denote a cycle path.

There is a cycle path along Rivelin Valley road yes.

I thought it was just a rumble strip

That's interesting. I was having a debate with the other half whilst going along there the other day. I thought it was a cycle path, he says it isn't as those are red and don't have a solid white line. It would be most helpful if it is a cycle path if people used it. I was stuck behind a cyclist in the middle of this road in the 40 mph section - where you can't overtake. I'm normally patient with cyclists, as I am one, but I felt this was just rude if that bit is a cycle path.

It isn't a designated cycle path. Some cycle lanes do have solid white lines, and not all lanes are painted red so it can be confusing. Either way the width of the lane on Rivelin Valley Rd is not wide enough to be a cycle lane. It is also full of tree debris and other rubbish.

Cheap way of making the road feel narrower to get people to drive slower. Also keeps people out of the gutter and tree debris.

That's interesting. I was having a debate with the other half whilst going along there the other day. I thought it was a cycle path, he says it isn't as those are red and don't have a solid white line. It would be most helpful if it is a cycle path if people used it. I was stuck behind a cyclist in the middle of this road in the 40 mph section - where you can't overtake. I'm normally patient with cyclists, as I am one, but I felt this was just rude if that bit is a cycle path.

It isn't a designated cycle path. Some cycle lanes do have solid white lines, and not all lanes are painted red so it can be confusing. Either way the width of the lane on Rivelin Valley Rd is not wide enough to be a cycle lane. It is also full of tree debris and other rubbish.

Oh, I always thought that was a cycle lane.

GAHHHH. You're on the wind up right. You realise as a motorist familiar with the highway code that cyclists are not obliged to use cycle paths, and if they aren't doing it's probably for good reason.

And you also realise that if you were delayed at all, it was probably for 10s of seconds, which you subsequently made up after passing the cyclist, and then lost when you hit traffic anyway.

Presumably smog couldn't see the tree debris, or thought that the cyclist should have to cycle through it anyway, lord knows that motorists are more important and can't possibly be delayed by a few seconds.

GAHHHH. You're on the wind up right. You realise as a motorist familiar with the highway code that cyclists are not obliged to use cycle paths, and if they aren't doing it's probably for good reason.

And you also realise that if you were delayed at all, it was probably for 10s of seconds, which you subsequently made up after passing the cyclist, and then lost when you hit traffic anyway.

Presumably smog couldn't see the tree debris, or thought that the cyclist should have to cycle through it anyway, lord knows that motorists are more important and can't possibly be delayed by a few seconds.

They will not get it, get a pint and leave them to it.

Edited by dutch

Can anyone help, along much of Rivelin Valley road there is a solid white line raised in some areas and about 30 inches from the original curb and white line of which remnants can be seen, does this denote a cycle path, there are no signs to say it does denote a cycle path.

Its not a cyclepath although I see many people cycling along it which puts you at risk from the large amount of tree debris that gathers down there.

My driving instructor many many years ago told me it was some kind of experimental rumble strip designed to let you know if you were wandering off carriageway. He even made me drive with two wheels on it to feel the effect through the steering.

Ive no idea when it dates from but this was back in the 1980s

Its not a cyclepath although I see many people cycling along it which puts you at risk from the large amount of tree debris that gathers down there.

My driving instructor many many years ago told me it was some kind of experimental rumble strip designed to let you know if you were wandering off carriageway. He even made me drive with two wheels on it to feel the effect through the steering.

Certainly if you start wandering out of lane a rumble is much better than hitting one of the trees along there.

Thats interesting. The other reason its not a cycle path is that its not really possible to cycle on it due to the amount of debris.