New coal mine approved

7 hours ago, Hots on said:

Post Brexit this country should mine coal on a grand scale again. Give the currently stagnating working class masses their noble purpose back and boost the economy.

What a load of rubbish, so much so in fact it's beyond parody.

12 hours ago, Hots on said:

Post Brexit this country should mine coal on a grand scale again. Give the currently stagnating working class masses their noble purpose back and boost the economy.

That is a bizzard statement.  First of all coal mining and hence power generation from  coal nowadays is considered environmentally very damaging.  There is no practical carbon capture scheme that can make it remotely feasible.  Renewable and nuclear are the only options for meeting our future energy requirements.

We need to up skill our population, not regress into manual labour monkeys.  We need to be developing and exploiting new technologies to advance our economy.

Edited by ez8004

3 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

What a load of rubbish, so much so in fact it's beyond parody.

The new avatar gives away a very poor wind up merchant.

6 hours ago, woodview said:

The new one being applied for will have to comply with all current h+s standards obviously. So if it can operate cleanly and safely at a profit, why not?

No problems with that but its basically impossible to have mines working to current H&S standards and also have them work at a profit unless the mines are automated, and that is not very cost effective. 

9 hours ago, apelike said:

No problems with that but its basically impossible to have mines working to current H&S standards and also have them work at a profit unless the mines are automated, and that is not very cost effective. 

You need to have a word with the firm spending £160m building it , quick!

On 23/03/2019 at 00:52, apelike said:

The UK operates quite alot of mines though?  So why would it not be feasible?

Just because the last deep coal mine closed doesn't mean mines of other type are not in operation, they too must operate under the relevant H&S regulations so it's not as if it's an alien concept over here.

On 19/03/2019 at 16:05, m0nkey said:

We stopped coal for economic reasons not environmental, always the same / nothing will change until the availability and cost of extracting fossils is more than renewables or other cleaner alternatives. 

Not really, some Pits were actually making brass. Maggie Thatcher closed the mines. Don't you remember the 6 Mar 1984 – 3 Mar 1985 strike.

Angel1.

Alot of pits needed work though, especially on H&S grounds which meant improved equipment and such.

Pits were still making money, but given the investment needed and the remaining extractable coal it didn't make sense to throw a load of money at them.

On 19/03/2019 at 16:05, m0nkey said:

We stopped coal for economic reasons not environmental, always the same / nothing will change until the availability and cost of extracting fossils is more than renewables or other cleaner alternatives. 

I remember long ago listening to "Rony Robinson",on his talk show was a man who had been at a seminar in the USA in the 50's where Churchill was speaking..he said to quote "the only way forward in Britain is to destroy the unions,and the first one has to be the strongest,the NUM,once that goes the rest will follow,it will never happen in my lifetime..but it will happen"..and he was right,they were intent of getting rid of the miners too...they never forgave them for the strikes of 1972/74 and the collapse of the Heath government

On 22/03/2019 at 14:02, geared said:

I'd like to see any working class Brit down the pit again.

You can guarantee the universal response would be "You ain't getting me down there pal"

Don't be so sure of that..a lot of ex/new-miners would probably be happy to have a job again...i have lived in mining area's all my life and have seen the devastation caused by pits closing 

On 22/03/2019 at 14:15, apelike said:

Spot on and not only that this coal will be very expensive to mine as well.

Here is what it was like when I worked down one: full of dirt, shale and coal dust, dark, damp, no facilities such as places to eat or toilets, no females, dangerous equipment, lethal and explosive gasses and at that time not even the minimum wage was paid.

What did you expect??..the cheapest way to aquire coal is and always will be to "opencast"..but nobody wants this either....I worked in "opencast mining " for95%  of my working life...the other 5% spent on motorways/roads etc....no facilities there either, i ate wherever i was working,as well as "the call's of nature"..,no facilities for washing hands unless there was a puddle nearby,..if you got wet..you stayed wet for the next 12-16 hours..........Have you ever watched the 1941 film..."How Green Was My Valley"..i watched it again a few weeks ago..this is how it was...

On 22/03/2019 at 21:26, ez8004 said:

That is a bizzard statement.  First of all coal mining and hence power generation from  coal nowadays is considered environmentally very damaging.  There is no practical carbon capture scheme that can make it remotely feasible.  Renewable and nuclear are the only options for meeting our future energy requirements.

I would just like to quote you something you may be interested in.....from the Doncaster Free Press...."AROUND 500 new jobs are to be created when the world's largest power station of its type is built in Doncaster. The Government has given the go-ahead for a massive 900 mega-watt station to be built by mining company Powerfuel at Hatfield Colliery which will power a million homes. Powerfuel plans to build a low emission gas burning station at the site before converting it into an even more environmentally friendly coal gasification power station. Development of the station is due to begin in June and end in 2012. It is expected to create 500 temporary construction jobs.The clean coal station will see coal converted into carbon monoxide and hydrogen which will be mixed at high temperatures with oxygen to create a gas mixture called synthesis gas. It is hoped work to covert the station into a clean coal unit will start in 2014 but is dependent on Government approval.Richard Budge, boss at Powerfuel, said: "This consent allows Powerfuel to implement our plans for the large-scale production of low carbon electricity in the north of England from a secure source based here in the UK. "I am confident we will successfully convert the combined cycle gas turbine power station into an even more environmentally friendly integrated coal gasification combined cycle station which will be constructed by 2014."

On 23/03/2019 at 00:52, apelike said:

Lets face it H&S were welcome..at first...but they just became ridiculous...my father..ex miner..always said the best thing that was ever done for them was...building "PIT BATHS"...I can still remember him and the other miners walking down the streets ..as "black as coal" with just their eyes/mouths showing,most still wearing their helmet's and knee pad's...As i said previously "Opencasting"..is profitable..

15 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Not really, some Pits were actually making brass. Maggie Thatcher closed the mines. Don't you remember the 6 Mar 1984 – 3 Mar 1985 strike.

Angel1.

I remember it well..i used to pass "High Moor Colliery" on my way to work at an "opencast site"..,..well before it started there were lorries queued for  miles in  each direction waiting to fill up with coal for the Power Stations....when they had more than enough on stock..she led  Scargill straight into it... I got stopped more than once by the police and asked where i was bound..they would then radio ahead and tell me if it was alright to proceed..when i arrived at work there was always police there.....just to say the Miners never bothered us....but they did bother the lorries...

46 minutes ago, euclid said:

Don't be so sure of that..a lot of ex/new-miners would probably be happy to have a job again...

Somehow I very much doubt that ex miners would want to go down as they would be too old. As for new-miners I think the conditions would certainly put most off.

What did you expect??..the cheapest way to aquire coal is and always will be to "opencast"..but nobody wants this either....

At that time I expected what I discovered but as pointed out above how many young people would now be willing to put up with those conditions. Opencast is profitable and that what the other mines operating in the UK are but this new proposed pit it seems would be a deep mine.

I would just like to quote you something you may be interested in.....from the Doncaster Free Press...."AROUND 500 new jobs are to be created when the world's largest power station of its type is built in Doncaster. The Government has given the go-ahead for a massive 900 mega-watt station to be built by mining company Powerfuel at Hatfield Colliery which will power a million homes. 

And did that one ever get built?

1 hour ago, euclid said:

I remember long ago listening to "Rony Robinson",on his talk show was a man who had been at a seminar in the USA in the 50's where Churchill was speaking..he said to quote "the only way forward in Britain is to destroy the unions,and the first one has to be the strongest,the NUM,once that goes the rest will follow,it will never happen in my lifetime..but it will happen"..and he was right,they were intent of getting rid of the miners too...they never forgave them for the strikes of 1972/74 and the collapse of the Heath government

Don't be so sure of that..a lot of ex/new-miners would probably be happy to have a job again...i have lived in mining area's all my life and have seen the devastation caused by pits closing 

What did you expect??..the cheapest way to aquire coal is and always will be to "opencast"..but nobody wants this either....I worked in "opencast mining " for95%  of my working life...the other 5% spent on motorways/roads etc....no facilities there either, i ate wherever i was working,as well as "the call's of nature"..,no facilities for washing hands unless there was a puddle nearby,..if you got wet..you stayed wet for the next 12-16 hours..........Have you ever watched the 1941 film..."How Green Was My Valley"..i watched it again a few weeks ago..this is how it was...

I would just like to quote you something you may be interested in.....from the Doncaster Free Press...."AROUND 500 new jobs are to be created when the world's largest power station of its type is built in Doncaster. The Government has given the go-ahead for a massive 900 mega-watt station to be built by mining company Powerfuel at Hatfield Colliery which will power a million homes. Powerfuel plans to build a low emission gas burning station at the site before converting it into an even more environmentally friendly coal gasification power station. Development of the station is due to begin in June and end in 2012. It is expected to create 500 temporary construction jobs.The clean coal station will see coal converted into carbon monoxide and hydrogen which will be mixed at high temperatures with oxygen to create a gas mixture called synthesis gas. It is hoped work to covert the station into a clean coal unit will start in 2014 but is dependent on Government approval.Richard Budge, boss at Powerfuel, said: "This consent allows Powerfuel to implement our plans for the large-scale production of low carbon electricity in the north of England from a secure source based here in the UK. "I am confident we will successfully convert the combined cycle gas turbine power station into an even more environmentally friendly integrated coal gasification combined cycle station which will be constructed by 2014."

Lets face it H&S were welcome..at first...but they just became ridiculous...my father..ex miner..always said the best thing that was ever done for them was...building "PIT BATHS"...I can still remember him and the other miners walking down the streets ..as "black as coal" with just their eyes/mouths showing,most still wearing their helmet's and knee pad's...As i said previously "Opencasting"..is profitable..

I remember it well..i used to pass "High Moor Colliery" on my way to work at an "opencast site"..,..well before it started there were lorries queued for  miles in  each direction waiting to fill up with coal for the Power Stations....when they had more than enough on stock..she led  Scargill straight into it... I got stopped more than once by the police and asked where i was bound..they would then radio ahead and tell me if it was alright to proceed..when i arrived at work there was always police there.....just to say the Miners never bothered us....but they did bother the lorries...

The Doncaster power station you quote was never built. Do you know why? Because there is no such thing as a clean coal power station. Anyone who believes otherwise is either deluded or doesn’t understand the reality of the science behind it. 

3 hours ago, ez8004 said:

The Doncaster power station you quote was never built. Do you know why? Because there is no such thing as a clean coal power station. Anyone who believes otherwise is either deluded or doesn’t understand the reality of the science behind it. 

Powerfuel went into administration after failing to raise £635 million needed to build the clean coal power station and £30 million to upgrade the mine plus the powers that be didn't want coal anymore..full stop..Richard Budge..(died 2016).. had Russian backers which did not go down very well either...i think you are the one that is either deluded or naive..have a nice day...;)