New coal mine approved

6 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

What, do  decent job and not rip off old ladies like the British builders do?

I don't think we're short of ex-miners if any are needed....

This coking coal will not be used in power stations!

Nimby environmentalists muddy the water again. I wonder if they are just thick or deliberately misinform the public.

There are global shortages of certain types of coal.

High quality coking coal used in steel making is one.

The coal will go by train to Redcar which will handle the 80,000 t bulk carrier  ships.

The coalfield is below the sea bed and the surface operation will be on a former chemical works site.

1 hour ago, woodview said:

I don't think we're short of ex-miners if any are needed....

Well as long as those mines are wheelchair friendly.

Post Brexit this country should mine coal on a grand scale again. Give the currently stagnating working class masses their noble purpose back and boost the economy.

10 minutes ago, Hots on said:

Post Brexit this country should mine coal on a grand scale again. Give the currently stagnating working class masses their noble purpose back and boost the economy.

I'd love to see tubby Francois, Bojo the clown, and the truly repulsive Gove on their hands and knees digging for coal. That'd give me a great deal of joy post Brexit.

I'd like to see any working class Brit down the pit again.

You can guarantee the universal response would be "You ain't getting me down there pal"

Spot on and not only that this coal will be very expensive to mine as well.

Here is what it was like when I worked down one: full of dirt, shale and coal dust, dark, damp, no facilities such as places to eat or toilets, no females, dangerous equipment, lethal and explosive gasses and at that time not even the minimum wage was paid.

4 hours ago, Hots on said:

Have you worked down a mine?

No, me neither, but I'm guessing there's nothing noble about it.

Are you suggesting that their is something more noble about working yourself into an early grave?

23 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Have you worked down a mine?

No, me neither, but I'm guessing there's nothing noble about it.

Are you suggesting that their is something more noble about working yourself into an early grave?

Working conditions in modern mines are better than they were previously.

On 19/03/2019 at 16:23, tinfoilhat said:

If it wasn't for brexit, I'd bet diamonds the vast majority of those new miners would be polish.

Or Bulgarian. They've a few deep mines too as I recall.

7 minutes ago, Hots on said:

Working conditions in modern mines are better than they were previously.

Which modern mines does the UK have? The working conditions by default are appalling by any modern standards and making them anywhere near decent for the workers costs money and makes them unviable in our modern society.

1 hour ago, apelike said:

Which modern mines does the UK have? The working conditions by default are appalling by any modern standards and making them anywhere near decent for the workers costs money and makes them unviable in our modern society.

The new one being applied for will have to comply with all current h+s standards obviously. So if it can operate cleanly and safely at a profit, why not?