New coal mine approved

Well, it is more fossil fuel, but we aren't stopping pumping oil out of the North Sea, so I can understand the approval and probably would back it too.

We stopped coal for economic reasons not environmental, always the same / nothing will change until the availability and cost of extracting fossils is more than renewables or other cleaner alternatives. 

Edited by m0nkey

28 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I must admit this caught me by surprise given what we know about the impact of fossil fuel

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/cumbria-coal-mine-woodhouse-colliery-climate-change-a8830046.html

But it's just a news item about planning permission. The coalmine might never be constructed.

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

28 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I must admit this caught me by surprise given what we know about the impact of fossil fuel

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/cumbria-coal-mine-woodhouse-colliery-climate-change-a8830046.html

If it wasn't for brexit, I'd bet diamonds the vast majority of those new miners would be polish.

2 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

But it's just a news item about planning permission. The coalmine might never be constructed.

You'd presume they acquired the site and bothered applying for permission, in order to actually construct the mine wouldn't you??

22 minutes ago, woodview said:

You'd presume they acquired the site and bothered applying for permission, in order to actually construct the mine wouldn't you??

They might need to arrange to borrow £165 million to pay for the construction yet..not a done deal

Edited by lil-minx92

and whatever they might need to fend off the inevitable court case that an environmental group will end up bringing against the place.

5 minutes ago, lil-minx92 said:

They might need to arrange to borrow £165 million to pay for the construction yet..not a done deal

sure, it's a process. But the fact they havn't built it doesn't change the theme of the thread. The poster previous seemed dismissive of the story, because it was 'just' for planning permission.

Just now, woodview said:

sure, it's a process. But the fact they havn't built it doesn't change the theme of the thread. The poster previous seemed dismissive of the story, because it was 'just' for planning permission.

I see your point

42 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

If it wasn't for brexit, I'd bet diamonds the vast majority of those new miners would be polish.

yea and we saw what they did to the building industry :wink: thank god for brexit :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, ricgem2002 said:

yea and we saw what they did to the building industry :wink: thank god for brexit :thumbsup:

What, do  decent job and not rip off old ladies like the British builders do?