Does anyone know of an optician in Sheffield who would let me purchase a pair of glasses with no prescription  lenses in them.   I have rang around quite a few but they are all asking for a prescription.

24 minutes ago, whitemary328 said:

Does anyone know of an optician in Sheffield who would let me purchase a pair of glasses with no prescription  lenses in them.   I have rang around quite a few but they are all asking for a prescription.

Just tell them you want a set of frames off the display rack, they all have plain glass in them. Alternatively, go online, tons of options. Walmart has lots of them with free delivery, I know you don't have Walmart but you do have similar stores like Asda.

Depending on what you want them for, could you consider a pair of very weak reading glasses, say +0.5?

Lots of supermarkets, chemists and even Pound shops sell them

Thanks.  I did tell them I wanted some from the display but they refused to let me have them.  As for online I wanted to be able to try on several pairs to see which looked best.  I  have been using reading specs but not as weak as that and they  make my sight very blurred, I will definitely try a weaker pair if I can get them cheap.  It's my partner that wants me to wear glasses and he  buys a new pair of reading specs for me each week but he just chooses a frame he likes regardless of the strength.  A weaker pair would be great.

26 minutes ago, whitemary328 said:

Thanks.  I did tell them I wanted some from the display but they refused to let me have them.  As for online I wanted to be able to try on several pairs to see which looked best.  I  have been using reading specs but not as weak as that and they  make my sight very blurred, I will definitely try a weaker pair if I can get them cheap.  It's my partner that wants me to wear glasses and he  buys a new pair of reading specs for me each week but he just chooses a frame he likes regardless of the strength.  A weaker pair would be great.

Why does your partner want you to wear glasses when you don’t need them?

Axis Optical, not Opticians (but they manufacture glasses) for others on prescriptions

@Carlisle St East, S4 7QN

Thanks for the info.  In response to Happ, my partner just likes the way I look with glasses on and I don't mind wearing them but it helps if I can see through them.  Some men take their partners some flowers after work but mine brings a new pair of specs.  I never know what the frames are going to be like so it's a surprise for me.  They often perch right at the end of my nose as I can't see with them but I can look over the top of them fine.  The opticians in Sheffield are not very helpful though.  It's weird though because if anyone wants me to look at something I reach for my glasses even though I can see absolutely fine.  It's just out of habit.  I always have them on  when watching tv aswell, I just look over the top of them.

Edited by whitemary328

Thanks for the info on the virtual mirror, it's really good.  My partner's ordering specs right now.  Looks like I'm having rimless this time.

Edited by whitemary328

Sorry but I personally find the whole concept totally bizarre. 

Glasses are supposed to be medically prescribed aid for people with a visual impairment.     Whilst there is some degree or styling and looks due to them being on ones face for significant amounts of time.   They are not supposed to be a fashion accessory. 

This seemingly hipster led trend of people wearing glasses when they have absolutely no need for them just baffles me.    People dont wear dental braces or hearing aids or push themslves around in wheelchairs just because it "looks attractive".   

Edited by ECCOnoob

Is this a joke?

Please don't wear reading glasses if you don't need them, you can damage your sight. If your partner insists on this he's being a ****.