Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I do 25k miles a year for work. More at the moment than in the past. I have driven for 25 years. Along with 7 years driving in the US. No at fault accidents, no points. Speeding in the UK is entirely optional, when you drive with an awareness of whats going on around you!

 

I have a Cheetah to let me know where fixed cameras are and Waze which highlights both fixed and mobile, as highlighted by other users. In between that you can pretty much do whatever you like within reason. I drove this week to Portsmouth and back, roughly 8 hours and 500 miles, not one police car (marked) at least. Rarely do I see Police enforcing speed on motorways, and local police have no time to do it other than mobile vans. You would have to be driving like you stole it to get stopped. Of my 500 mile a week average I see the odd van, occasionally leaving Sheffield on the Parkway (always the same spot) and near Ladybower in the lay bay at the end of the straight heading on to Snake. Very rarely at Norton heading towards Chesterfield past Morrisons and also just off the roundabout near the Hilton. 

 

On average the fixed camera coming in to Sheffield on the Parkway catches 15 people a day! 550k a year. How, I do not know, it has been there years and often you are lucky to pass it doing 5mph never mind over 40! It is the HADECS 3 that you now have to watch for, these are the fixed Gantry cameras that active when the variable speed limits are in force on motorways, I do see loads of these flashing, but people seem to ignore them!

 

On the other hand in America it is enforced within about 3mph. Local and Highway police will happily stop people all day long. Many times I got stopped there (but got let go due to international licence). They don't tend to use cameras at all as they have much firmer enforcement from actual police. If we enforced like they do it would be a different story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, redbig said:

I don't know it, was that bit not clear? But I've checked just for you, less than 6k last year.

 

I don't think you're a car geek as you've not bigged up your driving skills but there are plenty in this thread who have. 

So... now you do know.  You've become a "car geek", by your own definition.

 

Obviously I consider my driving to be above average, but most people do and we can't all be right :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cyclone said:

So... now you do know.  You've become a "car geek", by your own definition.

 

Obviously I consider my driving to be above average, but most people do and we can't all be right :D

Yeah I know because I've looked like you said. And I'll be sure to round it down by 328 miles.

 

Car geek - Someone who nerds it up with car magazines and knows all about the latest Z33 model s class, and thinks they own the road and limits don't apply

 

Just found that in the dictionary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/03/2019 at 13:58, redbig said:

Someone who says the limit is artificially low as if it's fact 

 

And knows exactly how many miles they've driven. You sound like a classic car geek, sort of person who undertakes and swerves all over just to shave 5 seconds off the journey

If you disagree with any speed limit anywhere, you are now a car geek by your own definition...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/04/2019 at 13:50, redbig said:

Never had an insurance policy yet where you're required to know to any accuracy. Just a guess surely 

So to sum up, you think you'd be good at something that's dangerous, if in fact it wasn't illegal. Sure that's what I said in the first place

 

And you'd be good at it as you rate your driving above all others. (Some call such folk "car geeks").

 

 

Not a guess if you are my son who had an insurance-governed black box in his car and a stated mileage limit per year against his insurance policy - once he’d gone over that maximum, they came knocking for a higher premium. 

Not a guess if you, like me and many other drivers, drive a car on a PCP or PCH deal that specifies annual mileage and, if you go over, have to pay up 7p per mile.  

 

Edited by DT Ralge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Cyclone said:

If you disagree with any speed limit anywhere, you are now a car geek by your own definition...

Yep, the limits are set by folk who know. 

6 hours ago, DT Ralge said:

Not a guess if you are my son who had an insurance-governed black box in his car and a stated mileage limit per year against his insurance policy - once he’d gone over that maximum, they came knocking for a higher premium. 

Not a guess if you, like me and many other drivers, drive a car on a PCP or PCH deal that specifies annual mileage and, if you go over, have to pay up 7p per mile.  

 

No idea what PCP or PCH is. Told you, I'm not a car geek 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, redbig said:

Yep, the limits are set by folk who know. 

No idea what PCP or PCH is. Told you, I'm not a car geek 

Personal contract purchase/hire. Not a lot to do with geekiness, more to do with life experience and knowledge. 

Very useful to have this before taking a view, I find, but you can’t know what you don’t know ...

 

Edited by DT Ralge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DT Ralge said:

Personal contract purchase/hire. Not a lot to do with geekiness, more to do with life experience and knowledge. 

Very useful to have this before taking a view, I find, but you can’t know what you don’t know ...

 

Exactly, especially when it's about cars. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, redbig said:

Yep, the limits are set by folk who know. 

No idea what PCP or PCH is. Told you, I'm not a car geek 

You don't know about personal finance and think that it's something to do with car geekery.  Lol.

 

The limits are demonstrably set in opposition to what the "folks who know" advise by SCC.  For example, the A57 to the ladybower.  SCC commissioned a report to determine whether the speed limit should be lowered to 50.  The conclusion was no.  Categorically there was no good reason to lower it.  So they lowered it anyway.  Speed limits have become political and politics means that common sense and expert opinion are often disregarded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

You don't know about personal finance and think that it's something to do with car geekery.  Lol.

 

The limits are demonstrably set in opposition to what the "folks who know" advise by SCC.  For example, the A57 to the ladybower.  SCC commissioned a report to determine whether the speed limit should be lowered to 50.  The conclusion was no.  Categorically there was no good reason to lower it.  So they lowered it anyway.  Speed limits have become political and politics means that common sense and expert opinion are often disregarded.

No idea what you just said. I don't speak car geek. Why would a speed limit be political?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/04/2019 at 13:50, redbig said:

Never had an insurance policy yet where you're required to know to any accuracy. Just a guess surely 

So to sum up, you think you'd be good at something that's dangerous, if in fact it wasn't illegal. Sure that's what I said in the first place

 

And you'd be good at it as you rate your driving above all others. (Some call such folk "car geeks").

 

 

No, to sum it up (again, because you're not the sharpest knife), then if your assertion were true and I was a dangerous driver, then I made the flippant comment that I'd at least be good at it, given I've never caused an accident or clocked up any penalty points. However, the more likely case, and the truth as it happens, is that your assertion is wrong, and that I'm just a careful driver who also happens to disagree with some speed limits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, redbig said:

No idea what you just said. I don't speak car geek. Why would a speed limit be political?

You're now apparently claiming not to understand basic english.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.