Jump to content


Recommended Posts

If you just make up your annual mileage then you're probably at risk of having your insurance cancelled if you ever have to make a claim and they investigate.

You'll also find that your annual MOT gives you the mileage, so actually checking it is really very easy, unless you have a new car of course or change them >once a year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

If you just make up your annual mileage then you're probably at risk of having your insurance cancelled if you ever have to make a claim and they investigate.

You'll also find that your annual MOT gives you the mileage, so actually checking it is really very easy, unless you have a new car of course or change them >once a year.

Never heard that before, just put the average, goes up no more than 6k a year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Cyclone said:

If you just make up your annual mileage then you're probably at risk of having your insurance cancelled if you ever have to make a claim and they investigate.

You'll also find that your annual MOT gives you the mileage, so actually checking it is really very easy, unless you have a new car of course or change them >once a year.

If you play around on an insurance comparison website you'll see that varying your annual mileage by a bit - say up or down by a bracket or two - doesn't influence the premium very much, so it isn't really worth being economical with the answer.  Maybe putting an extra zero on the end (or deleting one) will have more bearing.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, redbig said:

Never heard that before, just put the average, goes up no more than 6k a year

You mean you put YOUR average right?  You're not just putting in 12k without having considered how much you drive?  If so you might find that your insurance is invalid.

11 hours ago, Crissie said:

If you play around on an insurance comparison website you'll see that varying your annual mileage by a bit - say up or down by a bracket or two - doesn't influence the premium very much, so it isn't really worth being economical with the answer.  Maybe putting an extra zero on the end (or deleting one) will have more bearing.
 

Nobody suggested trying to low ball it, the point is that like any other question for insurance, you are required to give an accurate answer or your insurance will be invalid.  And since it's trivially easy to check (last 2 MOTs give you dates and mileage figures) then why would anyone not know.  It's not a petrol head, or the made up term "car geek" thing to know your annual mileage.

 

Interestingly (as an aside), low mileage does NOT decrease the premium, it can actually increase it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cyclone said:

 

 

Interestingly (as an aside), low mileage does NOT decrease the premium, it can actually increase it.

Always value your input Cyclone, but I"m a bit puzzled , my insurance is cheaper because I"m a low mileage driver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cyclone said:

You mean you put YOUR average right?  You're not just putting in 12k without having considered how much you drive?  If so you might find that your insurance is invalid.

Nobody suggested trying to low ball it, the point is that like any other question for insurance, you are required to give an accurate answer or your insurance will be invalid.  And since it's trivially easy to check (last 2 MOTs give you dates and mileage figures) then why would anyone not know.  It's not a petrol head, or the made up term "car geek" thing to know your annual mileage.

 

Interestingly (as an aside), low mileage does NOT decrease the premium, it can actually increase it.

Yes mine, 6k, rarely done more. 

 

And car geek isn't made up, as proved by this thread 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Padders said:

Always value your input Cyclone, but I"m a bit puzzled , my insurance is cheaper because I"m a low mileage driver.

One factor in this is that high mileage can indicate lots of motorway use, and statistically they are the safest roads. If all your driving is urban, you may not drive as far but your risk per mile is higher.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Padders said:

Always value your input Cyclone, but I"m a bit puzzled , my insurance is cheaper because I"m a low mileage driver.

Something I read recently, an investigation by one of the consumer magazines, the cheapest insurance price point for otherwise identical details was at around 10 - 12k, I think it varied by company perhaps.

18 hours ago, redbig said:

Yes mine, 6k, rarely done more. 

 

And car geek isn't made up, as proved by this thread 

You made it up on this thread, and therefore you think that's proof that it isn't made up?  Circular much.

 

But...

Someone who knows exactly how many miles they've driven. You sound like a classic car geek, sort of person who undertakes and swerves all over just to shave 5 seconds off the journey

 

Is that you?  I mean, why do you know your annual mileage otherwise?

Edited by Cyclone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Padders said:

Always value your input Cyclone, but I"m a bit puzzled , my insurance is cheaper because I"m a low mileage driver.

Me too.  However, one day while playing with the sliders on the comparison sites I moved it from "upto 8000 miles" to "upto 10,000 miles" and the price went down.

 

It continued to do so until I reached 18,000 then it started to go back up again.

 

And in answer to the knowing your annual mileage - the MOT test is a good indicator (assuming you keep the same car).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Something I read recently, an investigation by one of the consumer magazines, the cheapest insurance price point for otherwise identical details was at around 10 - 12k, I think it varied by company perhaps.

You made it up on this thread, and therefore you think that's proof that it isn't made up?  Circular much.

 

But...

Someone who knows exactly how many miles they've driven. You sound like a classic car geek, sort of person who undertakes and swerves all over just to shave 5 seconds off the journey

 

Is that you?  I mean, why do you know your annual mileage otherwise?

I don't know it, was that bit not clear? But I've checked just for you, less than 6k last year.

 

I don't think you're a car geek as you've not bigged up your driving skills but there are plenty in this thread who have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do 25k miles a year for work. More at the moment than in the past. I have driven for 25 years. Along with 7 years driving in the US. No at fault accidents, no points. Speeding in the UK is entirely optional, when you drive with an awareness of whats going on around you!

 

I have a Cheetah to let me know where fixed cameras are and Waze which highlights both fixed and mobile, as highlighted by other users. In between that you can pretty much do whatever you like within reason. I drove this week to Portsmouth and back, roughly 8 hours and 500 miles, not one police car (marked) at least. Rarely do I see Police enforcing speed on motorways, and local police have no time to do it other than mobile vans. You would have to be driving like you stole it to get stopped. Of my 500 mile a week average I see the odd van, occasionally leaving Sheffield on the Parkway (always the same spot) and near Ladybower in the lay bay at the end of the straight heading on to Snake. Very rarely at Norton heading towards Chesterfield past Morrisons and also just off the roundabout near the Hilton. 

 

On average the fixed camera coming in to Sheffield on the Parkway catches 15 people a day! 550k a year. How, I do not know, it has been there years and often you are lucky to pass it doing 5mph never mind over 40! It is the HADECS 3 that you now have to watch for, these are the fixed Gantry cameras that active when the variable speed limits are in force on motorways, I do see loads of these flashing, but people seem to ignore them!

 

On the other hand in America it is enforced within about 3mph. Local and Highway police will happily stop people all day long. Many times I got stopped there (but got let go due to international licence). They don't tend to use cameras at all as they have much firmer enforcement from actual police. If we enforced like they do it would be a different story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, redbig said:

I don't know it, was that bit not clear? But I've checked just for you, less than 6k last year.

 

I don't think you're a car geek as you've not bigged up your driving skills but there are plenty in this thread who have. 

So... now you do know.  You've become a "car geek", by your own definition.

 

Obviously I consider my driving to be above average, but most people do and we can't all be right :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.