On 18/03/2019 at 22:01, WiseOwl182 said:

Yes, and Bochum Parkway up to 50 or 60 too.

The reason they wont, is because there are horse fields and stables next to it.... it wont be raised due to this for various reasons...

1 hour ago, Ghozer said:

The reason they wont, is because there are horse fields and stables next to it.... it wont be raised due to this for various reasons...

Reasons such as...? Stray horses suddenly escaping and jumping on to the dual carriageway, getting hit at 50mph instead of 40mph?

Given today's announcement of the EU forcing speed limiters in new cars from 2022, getting speed limits correct in the first place is even more pertinent.

Edited by WiseOwl182

Just now, WiseOwl182 said:

Reasons such as...? Stray horses suddenly escaping and jumping on to the dual carriageway, getting hit at 50mph instead of 40mph?

Exactly, it's safer for the driver(s) and horses if a horse jumps and escapes (has happened before) and also when the riders are riding down the road, you cannot pass a horse at greater than 40 i believe....

1 minute ago, Ghozer said:

Exactly, it's safer for the driver(s) and horses if a horse jumps and escapes (has happened before) and also when the riders are riding down the road, you cannot pass a horse at greater than 40 i believe....

Yet thousands of drivers do on that very stretch, day in, day out.

1 hour ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Yet thousands of drivers do on that very stretch, day in, day out.

and there's been campaigns and things to make drivers more aware of the horses, and why it's a danger to exceed the specified limit on there... I remember when I lived up that way, and had a horse just off there, it was so dangerous trying to take the horse out on a ride, or even switching to the upper field (across the road)

7 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

People react differently in the circumstances, I would imaging its a fairly traumatic experience.

Quite traumatic, indeed.  But that’s even  more of a reason to have a plan before the event, know what to do and to follow guidance/advice in getting to a place of true safety.  

8 hours ago, DT Ralge said:

Quite traumatic, indeed.  But that’s even  more of a reason to have a plan before the event, know what to do and to follow guidance/advice in getting to a place of true safety.  

Ridiculous comment.

15 hours ago, Easy livin said:

Are people really so rushed in life that they are debating upping the speed limit on a few km of road by 10mph?
i would imagine that the time saving would be in the seconds over the distance.   

The debate is not about saving time or being rushed about anything, it's debating what speed is appropriate for a particular road.

Seems the car geeks think they can drive better than anyone else and the limits don't apply to them. Usually the worst drivers, tailgating etc

7 hours ago, redbig said:

Seems the car geeks think they can drive better than anyone else and the limits don't apply to them. Usually the worst drivers, tailgating etc

Define car geek? I'm no petrol head but that speed limit is artificially low. Most drivers can see that.

For what it's worth, I've driven, in total, around 170,000 miles in my life (I'm not even that old yet). That's equivalent to driving around the Earth's circumference 7 times. I've had zero at fault accidents, zero speeding tickets, and zero points on my licence for any other reason. 

2 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

For what it's worth, I've driven, in total, around 170,000 miles in my life (I'm not even that old yet). That's equivalent to driving around the Earth's circumference 7 times. I've had zero at fault accidents, zero speeding tickets, and zero points on my licence for any other reason.  

But there are plenty of drivers around who don't have your observation and anticipation skills, and maybe even luck.  I see so much anger, aggression and discourtesy on the roads today, maybe that's why many places have far lower speed limits today than when I was young - it helps to protect people from today's intolerant attitudes.  If we could drive / cycle / walk with a little more consideration, a little less rage, and a bit less of the need for speed, maybe there'd be fewer accidents / incidents, and we could earn a justification for raising the limits.

1 hour ago, Crissie said:

But there are plenty of drivers around who don't have your observation and anticipation skills, and maybe even luck.  I see so much anger, aggression and discourtesy on the roads today, maybe that's why many places have far lower speed limits today than when I was young - it helps to protect people from today's intolerant attitudes.  If we could drive / cycle / walk with a little more consideration, a little less rage, and a bit less of the need for speed, maybe there'd be fewer accidents / incidents, and we could earn a justification for raising the limits.

How do speed cameras catch those bad traits in a driver, surely they're not just going for easy targets, its about safety isn't it?