With regard to the speed limit on Bochum Parkway, this was discussed on here at length recently via a dedicated thread & there appear to be good reasons for it to remain at the current 40mph.

From memory, some of these are the existence of the pedestrian crossing point - public right of way - near to the roundabout at the Norton Lane end.  Plus the cost of upgrading the road, necessary for safety reasons if the speed limit was increased e.g. the fitment of crash barriers on the central reservation & also between the highway & the footpath on the south eastern side of the road.  Additionally, the  important safety issue of traffic entering & leaving the Mossbrook Special School site, turning off from, & on to, what's already a busy main road which would be made hazardous if the legal traffic speed was increased.

Hence, as highlighted in the thread which was dedicated to a discussion about the possibility of raising the Bochum Parkway speed limit, there are first & foremost safety issues plus also the issue of the pedestrian crossing point & additionally cost issues.

41 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Examples that I am aware of include (at least stretches of):

- Bochum Parkway

- Penistone Road

- Sheffield Parkway

- Ringinglow Rd

Why? Because the speed limit is just too low for the road conditions.

Bochum Parkway needs barriers around lampposts before 50 can be allowed.

Penistone Road - I reckon there's too much going on, too many lights and junctions - raising the limit would also lead to a much greater degree of concertina-ing.

Sheffield Parkway, could be too many both on and off ramps. 

Ringinglow Road? Is it 50 or NSL?  History of crashes and cyclist (?) deaths? Too many hidden dips?

I'm sure that limits are reduced because of poor driver decisions, outcomes and incidents and we get what we deserve: accompanying the authorities' attempts to get KSI stats down year on year, roads get limited to the lowest common denominator, 

2 minutes ago, DT Ralge said:

Bochum Parkway needs barriers around lampposts before 50 can be allowed.

Penistone Road - I reckon there's too much going on, too many lights and junctions - raising the limit would also lead to a much greater degree of concertina-ing.

Sheffield Parkway, could be too many both on and off ramps. 

Ringinglow Road? Is it 50 or NSL?  History of crashes and cyclist (?) deaths? Too many hidden dips?

I'm sure that limits are reduced because of poor driver decisions, outcomes and incidents and we get what we deserve: accompanying the authorities' attempts to get KSI stats down year on year, roads get limited to the lowest common denominator, 

Bochum Parkway - put a barrier down the middle and make it a 50 or 60 then.

Penistone Road - there's a lot of lights but many people still go 40 between them and it's comparable to other roads in Sheffield with a 40 limit, such as around Attercliffe/ Meadowhall.

Sheffield Parkway - motorways have slip roads too, as does the Parkway at the Rotherham end where it's 70. 

Ringinglow Rd - I meant the start of it from Ecclesall Rd South up to Bents Green. Making it 20mph is frankly a joke. Perfectly in favour of temporary 20 zones at school drop off and pick up times, but 20mph outside of those half hour windows is ridiculous and barely anyone sticks to it.

1 minute ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Where's the money going to come from for that please - probably not cost-effective due to what could be a relatively small potential reduction in journey times?

Also what about the hazard of significantly faster traffic approaching the access point to Mossbrook Special School, with Council Special Needs Pupil Transport buses entering & exiting the main road at that location?

Additionally what about the increased hazard to people using the pedestrian crossing point, which is a public right of way?

2 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Penistone Road - there's a lot of lights but many people still go 40 between them and it's comparable to other roads in Sheffield with a 40 limit, such as around Attercliffe/ Meadowhall.

Sheffield Parkway - motorways have slip roads too, as does the Parkway at the Rotherham end where it's 70. 

Ringinglow Rd - I meant the start of it from Ecclesall Rd South up to Bents Green. Making it 20mph is frankly a joke. Perfectly in favour of temporary 20 zones at school drop off and pick up times, but 20mph outside of those half hour windows is ridiculous and barely anyone sticks to it.

Too much £££ for barriers on Bochum Parkway, no budget or perceived priority

M621 into Leeds = comparable and = 50 limit

”no-one” sticking to the limit can be seen as widespread non-compliance - it takes a brave person to move limit to 85th percentile.

I see plenty of non-compliance in many contexts (not just speed-related), I see stupid, selfish, arrogant, intolerant, impatient drivers rather than a need to change the law.  Just a viewpoint. 

4 minutes ago, DT Ralge said:

Too much £££ for barriers on Bochum Parkway, no budget or perceived priority

M621 into Leeds = comparable and = 50 limit

”no-one” sticking to the limit can be seen as widespread non-compliance - it takes a brave person to move limit to 85th percentile.

I see plenty of non-compliance in many contexts (not just speed-related), I see stupid, selfish, arrogant, intolerant, impatient drivers rather than a need to change the law.  Just a viewpoint. 

Indeed there are lots of drivers like that. There are also ones who drive so frustratingly and dangerously slow that they clearly lack confidence in their own competence to be on the road.

8 minutes ago, GleadlessLad said:

Where's the money going to come from for that please - probably not cost-effective due to what could be a relatively small potential reduction in journey times?

Also what about the hazard of significantly faster traffic approaching the access point to Mossbrook Special School, with Council Special Needs Pupil Transport buses entering & exiting the main road at that location?

Additionally what about the increased hazard to people using the pedestrian crossing point, which is a public right of way?

This isn't a debate on costs, the road could be a 50mph limit. The "crossing" is never used and the school is next to the roundabout, before which the limit would reduce to 40 anyway.

4 minutes ago, DT Ralge said:

I see stupid, selfish, arrogant, intolerant, impatient drivers rather than a need to change the law.  Just a viewpoint. 

Fully agree!  Saw two near misses on White Lane this morning both due to somebody's stupid attempt to get one vehicle ahead by overtaking on a bend...

1 minute ago, WiseOwl182 said:

The "crossing" is never used

Well, I use it....

1 minute ago, GleadlessLad said:

Fully agree!  Saw two near misses on White Lane this morning both due to somebody's stupid attempt to get one vehicle ahead by overtaking on a bend...

Well, I use it....

Me, too.

Most of Jaw Bone Hill going down to Oughtibridge is NSL, but I think the section of Halifax Road from the railway bridge to Lidl ought to be 30.

11 minutes ago, GleadlessLad said:

Well, I use it....

How near the roundabout is it? If it's near like the school is then it would still be 40 anyway. If it's not then put a proper crossing in with lights. That will allow the road to be 50 and make the crossing safer too. The 3 pedestrians a week that cross the dual carriageway will appreciate it.

5 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

How near the roundabout is it? If it's near like the school is then it would still be 40 anyway. If it's not then put a proper crossing in with lights. That will allow the road to be 50 and make the crossing safer too. The 3 pedestrians a week that cross the dual carriageway will appreciate it.

The crossing's about 3/4 of the way along that stretch, when heading towards Norton.

A proper crossing with lights would be a good idea, in fact I'd say that's needed now because currently with the existing  40mph limit it can be quite difficult to cross the road safely.

I do see other folk using the crossing - I use the crossing about 5 times a week & I regularly see other folk using it too, when I'm out walking & also when I'm driving on that piece of road.