So far as I can tell you seem impressed with yourself that you don't know a lot of basic English or how to debate like an adult.

9 hours ago, redbig said:

I don't question speed limits, why would I unless I think they don't apply to me?

Because we live in a democratic and free society and you're able to scrutinise and question anything you want, especially on a forum for discussion. You may choose to blindly go through life without ever questioning anything but most people don't. It was once illegal for women to vote, should society have just blindly accepted that without question? Some people might feel sentences for murder are too harsh (or lenient) but it doesn't mean they're killing people.

7 hours ago, redbig said:

I don't know anything about a report as I just drive to the limits set. But it seems there are some who think the limits don't apply to them as their driving skills are so advanced. These are the car geeks. 

Another non-retort in answer to my point. It's as if you're scared to admit you're wrong and damage your own self-image. 

Reading & understanding the report & driving within the current limits are not mutually exclusive.

In addition, reading/understanding and agreeing with it does not make those that did into bad drivers with an inflated driving ego who think they're above the law. 

The bickering is to cease.

13 hours ago, redbig said:

Someone who is interested in cars to the point they think they are better drivers than everyone else. The world is full of them ( and this thread it seems)

Nope, I just gave you the definition of geek. It's from a dictionary. Stop reading stuff that isn't there.

13 hours ago, Cyclone said:

So far as I can tell you seem impressed with yourself that you don't know a lot of basic English or how to debate like an adult.

Who's debating. My whole point is car geeks thinking they can drive better than everyone else, while actually being the worst drivers on the road.

Don't complicate it 

10 hours ago, Resident said:

Another non-retort in answer to my point. It's as if you're scared to admit you're wrong and damage your own self-image. 

Reading & understanding the report & driving within the current limits are not mutually exclusive.

In addition, reading/understanding and agreeing with it does not make those that did into bad drivers with an inflated driving ego who think they're above the law. 

I don't want to read a report. If I'm on a 40 it usually feels fast enough. What difference does another 10 make ?

12 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Because we live in a democratic and free society and you're able to scrutinise and question anything you want, especially on a forum for discussion. You may choose to blindly go through life without ever questioning anything but most people don't. It was once illegal for women to vote, should society have just blindly accepted that without question? Some people might feel sentences for murder are too harsh (or lenient) but it doesn't mean they're killing people.

Like I said, the limit usually feels right, why question something for another 10 miles per hour? Where you going that's so important?

Edited by redbig
Amend

...Where you going that's so important?

usually, the back of the next queue...

3 hours ago, ads36 said:

usually, the back of the next queue...

Ha ha exactly

You're on a debating forum, if you don't want to debate it, stop being rude and trying to cause arguments.

9 hours ago, redbig said:

Like I said, the limit usually feels right, why question something for another 10 miles per hour? Where you going that's so important?

Why not question it? Getting somewhere 25% faster seems a logical desire. If you don't want to discuss things, don't come on a forum.

57 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Getting somewhere 25% faster seems a logical desire.

Even if you raised all speed limits by 25%, you wouldn't reduce journey times by 25%.

For a start, increasing speed by 25% reduces journey time by 20%, that's how the maths works out.

Then, you have to consider the time spent accelerating/decelerating.

Then you have to consider queues, junctions, waiting, etc. All the that time spent stationary.

We could raise the parkway limit to 3000mph, it would make no difference at all to journey times - because of the queues at either end.

And then there's the speed limits that wouldn't get raised : the 20/30 limits on residential streets.

Care to guess how much we'd *actually* reduce journey times by, if we raised all debatable speed limits by 25%? I'd be surprised if it was even as much as 10%...

Conversely, we could reduce a lot of speed limits without affecting journey times. Bizarrely, speed limits don't really slow us down very much, even if we obey them.

2 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Why not question it? Getting somewhere 25% faster seems a logical desire. If you don't want to discuss things, don't come on a forum.

Not if it's not safer

5 hours ago, Cyclone said:

You're on a debating forum, if you don't want to debate it, stop being rude and trying to cause arguments.

Isn't an argument a debate ? Or is that only so when you've read these reports that all the car geeks are talking about ?