4 hours ago, Cyclone said:

The report and the changing of the speed limit both predate 2013.

So in terms of the present speed limit, the report has been superseded by the 2013 guidance.

10 hours ago, Longcol said:

So in terms of the present speed limit, the report has been superseded by the 2013 guidance.

Perhaps, but irrelevant to my point.

Here is the original discussion about it being lowered (in Oct 2011) and somewhere in those 32 pages is a link to the report recommending that it not be lowered.

This was AFTER the government guidance required councils to assess rural A roads and lower the limit if necessary.  DCC were getting stick for having just lowered them all because it was cheaper than assessing them.  And there we have one answer as to why some speed limits are inappropriate, in Derby at least it was a simple cost cutting measure, lower all the limits and you don't have to pay to assess whether it's correct or not.

28 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Here is the original discussion about it being lowered (in Oct 2011) and somewhere in those 32 pages is a link to the report recommending that it not be lowered.

This was AFTER the government guidance required councils to assess rural A roads and lower the limit if necessary.  DCC were getting stick for having just lowered them all because it was cheaper than assessing them.  And there we have one answer as to why some speed limits are inappropriate, in Derby at least it was a simple cost cutting measure, lower all the limits and you don't have to pay to assess whether it's correct or not.

I read that thread last night - the links don't work any more .

23 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

I will express my opinion on them as part of an online discussion as much as I choose, thanks. It's the whole point of the forum.

Not if you're wrong. Set by folk who know more than a car geek

On 06/04/2019 at 15:42, Cyclone said:

I don't know what facts you think exist beyond the report which recommended not reducing the limit.

No idea about reports. As a Non Car geek I just drive to the limits set by those in the know, not by those who think the limits don't apply to them

24 minutes ago, redbig said:

So what you're saying is that people shouldn't express opinions if they aren't an expert in the field, even if they have an interest in the subject & have a basic understanding?

No idea about reports. As a Non Car geek I just drive to the limits set by those in the know, not by those who think the limits don't apply to them

So by your own standing & this admission you shouldn't be expressing an opinion on this matter. 

1 hour ago, redbig said:

The fact that you don't question anything is a further indication of your intelligence. If people never questioned anything, we'd make very little progress as a society and may as well live under a dictatorship. Moreover, the entire reason for this forum's existence is for discussion on various topics, which includes expression of opinion.

9 hours ago, redbig said:

You know your annual mileage, you're a car geek now.

Or you can stop with the weak ad hom and actually discuss like an adult instead of just being rude.

12 hours ago, Resident said:

So what you're saying is that people shouldn't express opinions if they aren't an expert in the field, even if they have an interest in the subject & have a basic understanding?

So by your own standing & this admission you shouldn't be expressing an opinion on this matter. 

But I'm not questioning the report, why would I ? Why do I need to drive 50 on a 40 road ?

11 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

The fact that you don't question anything is a further indication of your intelligence. If people never questioned anything, we'd make very little progress as a society and may as well live under a dictatorship. Moreover, the entire reason for this forum's existence is for discussion on various topics, which includes expression of opinion.

I don't question speed limits, why would I unless I think they don't apply to me?

3 hours ago, Cyclone said:

You know your annual mileage, you're a car geek now.

Or you can stop with the weak ad hom and actually discuss like an adult instead of just being rude.

What's ad hom ? Car geek or Latin ? Why do you think you should drive 50 in a 40? 

2 hours ago, redbig said:

But I'm not questioning the report, why would I ? 

That's not what I said. Clearly you either don't have the ability to understand my point or you're acting like a petulant child who's caught being naughty. 

Furthermore I'm beginning to think you aren't questioning the report because you don't have the cognitive ability. 

1 hour ago, Resident said:

That's not what I said. Clearly you either don't have the ability to understand my point or you're acting like a petulant child who's caught being naughty. 

Furthermore I'm beginning to think you aren't questioning the report because you don't have the cognitive ability. 

I don't know anything about a report as I just drive to the limits set. But it seems there are some who think the limits don't apply to them as their driving skills are so advanced. These are the car geeks. 

13 minutes ago, redbig said:

These are the car geeks. 

Geek:

someone who is intelligent but not fashionable or popular:

He's such a geek.

someone who is very interested in a particular subject and knows a lot about it:

a self-confessed movie geek

You don't  understand what geek means.

A car geek is someone is is interested in cars. What they think about speed limits and whether or not they adhere to them is irrelevant.

3 hours ago, probedb said:

Geek:

someone who is intelligent but not fashionable or popular:

He's such a geek.

someone who is very interested in a particular subject and knows a lot about it:

a self-confessed movie geek

You don't  understand what geek means.

A car geek is someone is is interested in cars. What they think about speed limits and whether or not they adhere to them is irrelevant.

Someone who is interested in cars to the point they think they are better drivers than everyone else. The world is full of them ( and this thread it seems)