6 hours ago, Cyclone said:

So... now you do know.  You've become a "car geek", by your own definition.

Obviously I consider my driving to be above average, but most people do and we can't all be right :D

Yeah I know because I've looked like you said. And I'll be sure to round it down by 328 miles.

Car geek - Someone who nerds it up with car magazines and knows all about the latest Z33 model s class, and thinks they own the road and limits don't apply

Just found that in the dictionary

On 29/03/2019 at 13:58, redbig said:

Someone who says the limit is artificially low as if it's fact 

And knows exactly how many miles they've driven. You sound like a classic car geek, sort of person who undertakes and swerves all over just to shave 5 seconds off the journey

If you disagree with any speed limit anywhere, you are now a car geek by your own definition...

On 01/04/2019 at 13:50, redbig said:

Never had an insurance policy yet where you're required to know to any accuracy. Just a guess surely 

So to sum up, you think you'd be good at something that's dangerous, if in fact it wasn't illegal. Sure that's what I said in the first place

And you'd be good at it as you rate your driving above all others. (Some call such folk "car geeks").

Not a guess if you are my son who had an insurance-governed black box in his car and a stated mileage limit per year against his insurance policy - once he’d gone over that maximum, they came knocking for a higher premium. 

Not a guess if you, like me and many other drivers, drive a car on a PCP or PCH deal that specifies annual mileage and, if you go over, have to pay up 7p per mile.  

Edited by DT Ralge

14 hours ago, Cyclone said:

If you disagree with any speed limit anywhere, you are now a car geek by your own definition...

Yep, the limits are set by folk who know. 

6 hours ago, DT Ralge said:

Not a guess if you are my son who had an insurance-governed black box in his car and a stated mileage limit per year against his insurance policy - once he’d gone over that maximum, they came knocking for a higher premium. 

Not a guess if you, like me and many other drivers, drive a car on a PCP or PCH deal that specifies annual mileage and, if you go over, have to pay up 7p per mile.  

No idea what PCP or PCH is. Told you, I'm not a car geek 

2 minutes ago, redbig said:

Personal contract purchase/hire. Not a lot to do with geekiness, more to do with life experience and knowledge. 

Very useful to have this before taking a view, I find, but you can’t know what you don’t know ...

Edited by DT Ralge

11 minutes ago, DT Ralge said:

Personal contract purchase/hire. Not a lot to do with geekiness, more to do with life experience and knowledge. 

Very useful to have this before taking a view, I find, but you can’t know what you don’t know ...

Exactly, especially when it's about cars. 

19 minutes ago, redbig said:

You don't know about personal finance and think that it's something to do with car geekery.  Lol.

The limits are demonstrably set in opposition to what the "folks who know" advise by SCC.  For example, the A57 to the ladybower.  SCC commissioned a report to determine whether the speed limit should be lowered to 50.  The conclusion was no.  Categorically there was no good reason to lower it.  So they lowered it anyway.  Speed limits have become political and politics means that common sense and expert opinion are often disregarded.

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

You don't know about personal finance and think that it's something to do with car geekery.  Lol.

The limits are demonstrably set in opposition to what the "folks who know" advise by SCC.  For example, the A57 to the ladybower.  SCC commissioned a report to determine whether the speed limit should be lowered to 50.  The conclusion was no.  Categorically there was no good reason to lower it.  So they lowered it anyway.  Speed limits have become political and politics means that common sense and expert opinion are often disregarded.

No idea what you just said. I don't speak car geek. Why would a speed limit be political?

On 01/04/2019 at 13:50, redbig said:

Never had an insurance policy yet where you're required to know to any accuracy. Just a guess surely 

So to sum up, you think you'd be good at something that's dangerous, if in fact it wasn't illegal. Sure that's what I said in the first place

And you'd be good at it as you rate your driving above all others. (Some call such folk "car geeks").

No, to sum it up (again, because you're not the sharpest knife), then if your assertion were true and I was a dangerous driver, then I made the flippant comment that I'd at least be good at it, given I've never caused an accident or clocked up any penalty points. However, the more likely case, and the truth as it happens, is that your assertion is wrong, and that I'm just a careful driver who also happens to disagree with some speed limits.

16 hours ago, redbig said:

No idea what you just said. I don't speak car geek. Why would a speed limit be political?

You're now apparently claiming not to understand basic english.

17 hours ago, Cyclone said:

A marvellous example of cross party cooperation or have you exposed a political conspiracy?

"... the A57 to the ladybower." is managed by Conservative Derbyshire and Labour Sheffield.

Perhaps they will cooperate further in the future and not change the tarmac or bus stops?

Actually no, both are following Government guidelines set in 2013 for speed limits in rural areas which state "Lowering the speed limit to 50mph can be considered where there are a high number of bends, junctions or accesses and a high level of injury collisions"

And they commissioned a report, which categorically said that there was no reason to lower the limit.

Roads do of course have bends, but the Rivelin valley to Ladybower section of the A57 is not particularly twisty or bendy.  It has several long straight sections, isn't narrow, doesn't have an unusually high accident rate and is well maintained.