14 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

Ridiculous comment.

Sorry you think that.  Can’t work you out at all in that you can’t see simple advice for what it is. 

Do you have a (parallel) escape route/plan in the event of a fire at home?  It seems like you won’t have - but that’s exactly what the professionals in the Fire Service recommend.   A fire at home would be traumatic as would breaking down on a motorway - have a plan is all I was suggesting.   

In your Utopia if everyone followed every safety procedure to the letter there would be no accidents whatsoever, unfortunately real life isn’t like that.

17 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Define car geek? I'm no petrol head but that speed limit is artificially low. Most drivers can see that.

For what it's worth, I've driven, in total, around 170,000 miles in my life (I'm not even that old yet). That's equivalent to driving around the Earth's circumference 7 times. I've had zero at fault accidents, zero speeding tickets, and zero points on my licence for any other reason. 

Someone who says the limit is artificially low as if it's fact 

And knows exactly how many miles they've driven. You sound like a classic car geek, sort of person who undertakes and swerves all over just to shave 5 seconds off the journey

Why is it that driving up and down a road a few times gives people the right to think they know what the speed limit should be?

I am sure the road planning team and people that conduct the statisitcs for the roads know a fair bit more.
Most Sheffielder's shouldn't be on a BMX never mind a BMW.

Edited by Black Brick

5 hours ago, redbig said:

And knows exactly how many miles they've driven. You sound like a classic car geek, sort of person who undertakes and swerves all over just to shave 5 seconds off the journey

If that was true (which it isn't), I'd be pretty good at it. I bet a lot of the speed preachers on here have done fewer miles and racked up points or accidents. 

2 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

If that was true (which it isn't), I'd be pretty good at it. I bet a lot of the speed preachers on here have done fewer miles and racked up points or accidents. 

Yes, " ...speed preachers..." banging on about how unfair it is that they can't drive their car wherever they want, at whatever speed, through junctions without traffic lights or crossings, not a care in the world about other road users journeys and their safety, at the same time expecting everybody else to stump up the millions to make their that little bit faster( usually easily disproved).

Many years ago a public forum I attended on a local road junction scheme came to an end with two "preachers" demanding that their different routes should "obviously" have priority.

They did not seem to realise that although they were both correct in their ideas for their routes, they did not take into account the impact on the others' journey- let alone any other user. 

58 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Yes, " ...speed preachers..." banging on about how unfair it is that they can't drive their car wherever they want, at whatever speed, through junctions without traffic lights or crossings, not a care in the world about other road users journeys and their safety, at the same time expecting everybody else to stump up the millions to make their that little bit faster( usually easily disproved).

Many years ago a public forum I attended on a local road junction scheme came to an end with two "preachers" demanding that their different routes should "obviously" have priority.

They did not seem to realise that although they were both correct in their ideas for their routes, they did not take into account the impact on the others' journey- let alone any other user. 

You didn't read what I wrote carefully enough. 3/10, must try harder.

On 29/03/2019 at 19:04, WiseOwl182 said:

The fact you think you'd be good at undertaking sums this up. Car geek thinks he's better than the rest and ignores the fact it's illegal for a reason.

Usually the worst and most dangerous drivers in the road. Where you going that's so important you have to talegate ?

On 29/03/2019 at 19:04, WiseOwl182 said:

Nothing more predictable than somebody boasting about their own driving prowess on a driving thread. It's a shame that winter is over and you can't tell us all about driving in snow.

12 hours ago, redbig said:

The fact you think you'd be good at undertaking sums this up. Car geek thinks he's better than the rest and ignores the fact it's illegal for a reason.

Usually the worst and most dangerous drivers in the road. Where you going that's so important you have to talegate ?

Another poster not bothering to read what I actually said. Here's a reminder for the hard of thinking:

"If that was true (which it isn't), I'd be pretty good at it."

Note the key terms "if" and "isn't". To elaborate further for your benefit, it means if your accusations were true, I'd be very good at it, given the aforementioned zero accidents and zero traffic offences despite racking up a decent mileage. However, the point is moot, since the accusations aren't true. Knowing how many accidents I've caused or points I've collected, or miles I've driven, doesn't make me a "car geek" or "petrol head". It means I'm a sensible driver who services his car regularly and notes annual mileage for insurance purposes. As for me having to "talegate" (sic), that's just another false accusation you've dreamt up. 

Believing that some speed limits are artificially low, to being a dangerous driver who puts lives at risks, is quite a leap. It's akin to accusing someone of murder if they questioned whether sentence lengths were appropriate.

10 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Nothing more predictable than somebody boasting about their own driving prowess on a driving thread. It's a shame that winter is over and you can't tell us all about driving in snow.

Yes I can. The best way to drive in snow is to avoid it whenever possible. That's what I do.

On 29/03/2019 at 13:58, redbig said:

That's a big leap really isn't it.

I disagree with some speed limits, but I don't tailgate, nor would I swerve all over or recklessly undertake.

Oh, I also could tell you my annual mileage, if you can't then how on earth do you apply for insurance?

4 hours ago, Cyclone said:

That's a big leap really isn't it.

I disagree with some speed limits, but I don't tailgate, nor would I swerve all over or recklessly undertake.

Oh, I also could tell you my annual mileage, if you can't then how on earth do you apply for insurance?

Never had an insurance policy yet where you're required to know to any accuracy. Just a guess surely 

17 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Another poster not bothering to read what I actually said. Here's a reminder for the hard of thinking:

"If that was true (which it isn't), I'd be pretty good at it."

Note the key terms "if" and "isn't". To elaborate further for your benefit, it means if your accusations were true, I'd be very good at it, given the aforementioned zero accidents and zero traffic offences despite racking up a decent mileage. However, the point is moot, since the accusations aren't true. Knowing how many accidents I've caused or points I've collected, or miles I've driven, doesn't make me a "car geek" or "petrol head". It means I'm a sensible driver who services his car regularly and notes annual mileage for insurance purposes. As for me having to "talegate" (sic), that's just another false accusation you've dreamt up. 

Believing that some speed limits are artificially low, to being a dangerous driver who puts lives at risks, is quite a leap. It's akin to accusing someone of murder if they questioned whether sentence lengths were appropriate.

Yes I can. The best way to drive in snow is to avoid it whenever possible. That's what I do.

So to sum up, you think you'd be good at something that's dangerous, if in fact it wasn't illegal. Sure that's what I said in the first place

And you'd be good at it as you rate your driving above all others. (Some call such folk "car geeks").

Edited by redbig