Seven Spices

Booked table for 4 at Seven Spices Indian restaurant in West Bar for 9pm. Stressed we wanted to sit down at this time. When we got there we were told there was no table available and to sit in the bar area. Checked when it would be available and told a few minutes. Kept being told this until 9.30pm when  we left and went elsewhere. They were not apologetic and just shrugged at our complaints. What is the point of booking when they don't honour that booking? Other restaurants manage to work a booking system. Appalling service and we won't return and neither will any of our friends.

Guest makapaka

Been a few times always enjoyed it.

we might have if we'd got a chance to eat!

In fairness to them, you book a time to sit down in a restaurant not a time to leave. If a place is popular then you only get to sit down when other diners have left. 

A skill in running a busy restaurant is getting the balance right between being welcoming and getting people to do one when they have stopped spending money. I always expect a 10-15 minute wait before being seated.

Diners are usually allowed a certain amount of time. If they have finished but table hog then they are usually asked to move to the bar area. Thats how it has worked to my knowledge. We tend to eat early and leave quickly but we have known this to happen in busy places, especially those that are know to have two or three sittings per night. 

11 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

In fairness to them, you book a time to sit down in a restaurant not a time to leave. If a place is popular then you only get to sit down when other diners have left. 

A skill in running a busy restaurant is getting the balance right between being welcoming and getting people to do one when they have stopped spending money. I always expect a 10-15 minute wait before being seated.

I couldn't disagree more.

22 hours ago, incywincy said:

Booked table for 4 at Seven Spices Indian restaurant in West Bar for 9pm. Stressed we wanted to sit down at this time. When we got there we were told there was no table available and to sit in the bar area. Checked when it would be available and told a few minutes. Kept being told this until 9.30pm when  we left and went elsewhere. They were not apologetic and just shrugged at our complaints. What is the point of booking when they don't honour that booking? Other restaurants manage to work a booking system. Appalling service and we won't return and neither will any of our friends.

You're  going to the wrong restaurant, this wouldn't  happen in an upmarket restaurant. If you book a table for 9pm then your table should be ready for 9pm.

On 19/03/2019 at 18:14, jaffa1 said:

You're  going to the wrong restaurant, this wouldn't  happen in an upmarket restaurant. If you book a table for 9pm then your table should be ready for 9pm.

Well it's not upmarket is it...it's the 7 Spices Balti.

I remember back in my student days going to The Bombay on Westfield Terrace, it was always rammed with people queuing to get in. The manager would ask people if they'd enjoyed their meal then say "great, but can you go now because other people are waiting", noone kicked up a fuss because it was just a cheap curry house.

If I book a table at the Fat Duck or The Ivy then I'd expect my table to be ready (with the option of a drink in the bar beforehand)

2 hours ago, taxman said:

If I book a table at the Fat Duck or The Ivy then I'd expect my table to be ready (with the option of a drink in the bar beforehand)

Having eaten at both I can tell you that you don't always get seated at the time booked.😀

cheap and cheerful or lavish and expensive there is no excuse for lying and poor service,if they said a couple of minutes that is what it should be otherwise tell the truth and offer your customer a complimentary drink while they wait its as easy as that.