Fish at Hillsborough Corner

Started a similar thread a few years ago but can't find it! Saw a fish today - presumably a trout - trying to leap (unsuccessfully) up the weir at Hillsborough Corner by the bus-stop. The river - as you can imagine after recent downpours - was very fast-flowing so the poor thing didn't get very far! I seem to remember looking this up on-line and thought it was supposed to happen in autumn. Any explanations anyone?

Brown trout spawn in autumn, Rainbow trout spawn in spring.

Oh - didn't realise that - thanks for info. Didn't see it on google either!

On 18/03/2019 at 19:52, lindylou53 said:

Started a similar thread a few years ago but can't find it! Saw a fish today - presumably a trout - trying to leap (unsuccessfully) up the weir at Hillsborough Corner by the bus-stop. The river - as you can imagine after recent downpours - was very fast-flowing so the poor thing didn't get very far! I seem to remember looking this up on-line and thought it was supposed to happen in autumn. Any explanations anyone?

That's great! So nice to see our rivers clean. Even 12 years ago when I moved here, most rivers were polluted. Now we have otters, trout and all sorts in them.

15 hours ago, tzijlstra said:

That's great! So nice to see our rivers clean. Even 12 years ago when I moved here, most rivers were polluted. Now we have otters, trout and all sorts in them.

You should have seen the polluton in the 50s. As a kd I lived right across the street from the Rother just past Orgreave coking plant.Imagine that pollution coming in to your iving room at flood time, which was common occurance inthose days

5 minutes ago, Ontarian1981 said:

You should have seen the polluton in the 50s. As a kd I lived right across the street from the Rother just past Orgreave coking plant.Imagine that pollution coming in to your iving room at flood time, which was common occurance inthose days

We were posh in Doncaster - the Don by North Bridge was often covered in suds. Can't remember anybody trying to do their washing in it though.