Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

1 hour ago, woodview said:

But would you expect them to attempt to get their policies in their manifesto through Parliament if they could? If they had ended up in a coalition, they would have been saying they'll do it , so long as policy a,b or c is supported and the Tories drop policy x,y and z.

The manifesto tells us what they want to do if they are in a position to do it. They now potentially are.

I agree, no party has a majority backing. In most circumstances they get away with it and just do what they want. This one has panned out differently of course.

Full-on EU membership with no notice of the concerns of the majority who voted Leave. It's the opposite of a hard brexit or no-deal brexit.

But the things that got people's goat, particularly regarding immigration, can be sorted in the main by HMs government. We chose not to.

1 hour ago, bendix said:

Steady on.  You were the one saying read their statements.  Provide some yourself which back up your proposition.

I'd love to quote the statements,  but don't want to fall foul of the latest EU rules on copyright. 

Its a shame to me that it has come to this; I'm not against Britain being a member of a European Union, but a different natured one to how it currently is.

The EU and Britain going separate ways is the fourth major nail in the coffin of this country, the first being the two world wars, which knocked the stuffing out of this country, they cost us heavily  in blood and treasure and was the beginning of the end of the empire.

The second was Suez. The less said about that the better.

The third was the cold war coming to an end.  Being The United States number 1 ally was our new post colonial role; throughout the cold war we had a certain status and prestige with them and the rest of the world, which is now gone.

And the fourth is having no choice but to leave the EU. The United States had contact with Brussels through us and Brussels went through us to reach the US, we often helped bridge the two. This is now on the verge of being gone.

2 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

It is a problem and the Brexit project is part of that rise.

That is why a strong united Europe is more important than ever.

I know you perceive that link and in a minority of cases it will be true. The overwhelming majority of Leave voters aren't that, and it isn't their motivation.

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

But the things that got people's goat, particularly regarding immigration, can be sorted in the main by HMs government. We chose not to.

I agree. Lots of the vote was a backlash, at fixable policies, some of it not even eu related. For example, if non-EU migration had been reduced, that could have tipped the balance to Remain. Generally speaking the most pro-remain types would also have been the ones most against any limits, so it was a bit of an own goal in that respect.

On 25/03/2019 at 18:57, hobinfoot said:

This deal is between the EU & UK and the EU has said it's the only one.

The only one based on Herr May's dictatorial stance. Her red lines have not been for moving while she has been trying to bend everyone's elses.

2 hours ago, Hots on said:

And the fourth is having no choice but to leave the EU. The United States had contact with Brussels through us and Brussels went through us to reach the US, we often helped bridge the two. This is now on the verge of being gone.

There was always a choice. It was just that the arrogance of Cameron chose not to consider it.

A Tory drove us down the road that another (even more arrogant and dictatorial) Tory is going to crash us into the wall that lies at then end of it.

All MP's brexit options rejected...

This just gets funnier and funnier.

The rest of the world must be looking on with bemusment and bewilderment, As am I.

2 minutes ago, apelike said:

All MP's brexit options rejected...

This just gets funnier and funnier.

I'm pretty sure we are in the eyes of the world. Our standing in the international community is surely  dropping like a stone - just look at our lot now - it must be.

2 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I'm pretty sure we are in the eyes of the world. Our standing in the international community is surely  dropping like a stone - just look at our lot now - it must be.

Im sat watching the commons now, and every single one of them are acting like five year olds. They are pathetic, all of them. A complete disgrace

4 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

This is the aspect that really annoys me.

If we’d have spent just a tenth of the effort that we currently spend on blaming the EU on actually correcting those problems that we can correct...