Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

3 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Transcript:

Vince Cable:  She was asked at the meeting about the economic pain that would be inflicted on millions of British people and the answer was 'well, people voted for pain'.

Faisal Islam: Really? The Prime Minister …. no deal pain

Vince Cable: That was the conclusion I drew, and I'm certain that she now believes it

That is a transcript of the interview.

My doubts on this are that there were loads of other keen Remainers at that meeting, but only Cable has mentioned this. Could be true, but seems dodgy to me.

42 minutes ago, woodview said:

I would have suggested STV by MPs , but yes.

Yes, like why not invade France first.....

Option with least votes is deleted. Then re-vote, again, then again..... until the last option standing is the one.

Yes that sounds reasonable. It would allow for extended debate.

The debate should be free and fair though, not controlled and manipulated by May 

1 minute ago, woodview said:

My doubts on this are that there were loads of other keen Remainers at that meeting, but only Cable has mentioned this. Could be true, but seems dodgy to me.

Maybe she was speaking to him informally, or before others arrived, after the formal meeting was finished. I'm not inclined to believe Vince Cable makes up spurious lies.

1 minute ago, woodview said:

We need to see the transcript.

But the salient point - whether or not she said it - is that 17m people did vote to make the U.K. a poorer place and at risk of breaking up.

Just now, I1L2T3 said:

We need to see the transcript.

But the salient point - whether or not she said it - is that 17m people did vote to make the U.K. a poorer place and at risk of breaking up.

I1L2T3 - Faisal Islam placed a transcript above the interview clip.

2 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I1L2T3 - Faisal Islam placed a transcript above the interview clip.

Right, that is pretty bad then.

If May is doubling down on no deal with this approach then she is confirming she knows it will cause economic damage to millions of people. She is justifying that be arguing people want their lives to be damaged.

Has any PM in the modern age done this in peacetime?

The only thing I can think of is the Enclosure Acts 200 years ago, but it’s way worse this time because May is using implied consent of the people to justify the damage.

Nothing less than an act of wanton national economic and social vandalism.

11 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

If May is doubling down on no deal with this approach then she is confirming she knows it will cause economic damage to millions of people. She is justifying that be arguing people want their lives to be damaged.

The only thing I can think of is the Enclosure Acts 200 years ago, but it’s way worse this time because May is using implied consent of the people to justify the damage.

Possible comparison with Mrs Thatcher's willingness to take up the monetarist experiment of 1979 - 1981. I'm pretty certain she thought that such a policy would only bring down inflation; but had no idea that such a policy would cause the level of economic damage that it did.

I think May's problem is that she wants to keep the DUP and the ERG close. I don't know how hard right and economically 'dry' the DUP is; but I can't imagine that many members of the ERG would give a stuff if poorer people in mainly Labour voting constituencies were going to suffer hardship. 

Edited by Mister M

13 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

But she's right. People voted to hurt themselves. I swear to god if we ran a referendum to send all the foreigners home but every first born English man had to get an arm chopped off as part of the deal, it would still get at least 30%.

22 hours ago, Litotes said:

Another beleaver who won't allow democracy to have its way.

Democracy has already had its say in 2016.

We voted to LEAVE the dictatorship in Brussels .

We voted to take back control of our country. 

20 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Possible comparison with Mrs Thatcher's willingness to take up the monetarist experiment of 1979 - 1981. I'm pretty certain she thought that such a policy would only bring down inflation; but had no idea that such a policy would cause the level of economic damage that it did.

I think May's problem is that she wants to keep the DUP and the ERG close. I don't know how hard right and economically 'dry' the DUP is; but I can't imagine that many members of the ERG would give a stuff if poorer people in mainly Labour voting constituencies were going to suffer hardship. 

I don’t think Thatchers activities in the early 80s come anywhere close.

Mister M

Basically my post was right then in essence, I wasn't quoting verbatim, but highlighting that Faisal Islam,  the remainer, was even surprised at Cable's supposed T May quotation, which frankly I can't believe is true of her.  So he got him to repeat or clarify what he had quoted her saying, and Cable backed down and said it was the conclusion he had drawn. He didn't repeat the quotation which we may therefore infer was just spin. But in any case I wouldn't believe a word V Cable says when he quotes actual conversations as he does put spin on conversations and quotations for his own ends.

If folk are going to be pedantic on here and not understand the actual message in the post rather than picking fault, it makes for a hard slog having to explain what I was actually putting across.  And as far as the link maniac requests go, do your own research, we are not your educators. Our conclusions are drawn often from years of experience, research, and personal experience. That's what discussion should be about, it's not a seminar or lecture that we must supply evidence or links to support our views.  I'm sure we could, but some of us have got lives as well.