Jump to content

Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

 Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Ontarian1981 said:

 

This bull**** is asking for a return of the troubles to Ireland, unbelievable.

I was in Ireland last week and saw a very informed programme on RTE about the situation in the North. Not only have dissident Republican paramilitaries been recruiting at record levels but Loyalist paramilitaries have also been re-arming in anticipation of the very real prospect of a united Ireland.

 

As the ‘IRA’s political aims have never been closer to being achieved and the Loyalists’ fears have never been more real, there is potential for a bloodbath of similar proportions to the early 70s. The most chilling interview was with an ex-Provisional IRA volunteer who said that significant numbers of his old comrades are considering a return to the ‘armed struggle’. Current dissident Republicans are a bit of a clown car of disparate nationalist elements but the ‘old Provos’ have the discipline, political acumen, ruthlessness and military skills to carry out a prolonged war until Britain walks away from Ireland for good.

 

And yes, you are right. Militant Republicanism was dying on its arse until Brexit came along. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Ontarian1981 said:

Yeah, I just answeed the other guys above.I can see no good coming from all this, I really can't.

Not what you said - HERE

 

"Broken the country " lol. How can any democratic government on earth ever allow that to happen because of a referendum?

Put the sandwich board away and think of solutions to the "problems" ahead instead of ridiculing everyone who thinks that leaving is a good thing.

I am assuming you believe in a democratic society, therefore respect the majority decision and then do something to help turn it in your favour instead of accepting it and being a doomsayer.

Some of you guys seem to thrive on gloomy outlooks rather than thinking of ways to work within the framework of a democratic vote.

Just remember the three stages of a preconceived gloomy outlook i.e.Denial..Anger..Acceptance..

Most of you are in the Anger mode at the moment. However Acceptance will arrive on Halloween...Deal with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Dardandec said:

Not what you said - HERE

 

"Broken the country " lol. How can any democratic government on earth ever allow that to happen because of a referendum?

Put the sandwich board away and think of solutions to the "problems" ahead instead of ridiculing everyone who thinks that leaving is a good thing.

I am assuming you believe in a democratic society, therefore respect the majority decision and then do something to help turn it in your favour instead of accepting it and being a doomsayer.

Some of you guys seem to thrive on gloomy outlooks rather than thinking of ways to work within the framework of a democratic vote.

Just remember the three stages of a preconceived gloomy outlook i.e.Denial..Anger..Acceptance..

Most of you are in the Anger mode at the moment. However Acceptance will arrive on Halloween...Deal with it.

Then I was talking about the fearmongering,  on here ,about Brexit, I had no idea this Boris guy was about to screw with the Irish accord to get his way. Why is this even necessary. Canada and the US share an undefended border, why should Ulster and Ireland be any different. Just because NI is still part of Britain doesn't mean it can't have it's own trade deals as a special case. It is a unique situation and should be recognised as such by the powers that be in Brussels, whether a deal or no deal exit.

Edited by Ontarian1981

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just for some balance:

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-46988529

 

It seem the border is only mentioned once in the GFA and that bit was about security so its not surprising it never formed part of any Brexiteers discussions. The EU only want the backstop as a way of keeping the whole of the UK closely tied in with the EU customs union and the single market and as a way of still claiming UK VAT, which forms around 10% of the EU budget. The backstop does not only avoid a hard border but adds the above. Now ask yourselves why parliament was against the backstop!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

Just for some balance:

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-46988529

 

It seem the border is only mentioned once in the GFA and that bit was about security so its not surprising it never formed part of any Brexiteers discussions. The EU only want the backstop as a way of keeping the whole of the UK closely tied in with the EU customs union and the single market and as a way of still claiming UK VAT, which forms around 10% of the EU budget. The backstop does not only avoid a hard border but adds the above. Now ask yourselves why parliament was against the backstop!

UK VAT forms 10% of the EU budget..?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ontarian1981 said:

Canada and the US share an undefended border, 

Really?

 

I have crossed the US-Canadian border many times and have never done it in less than an hour and on the I5 between Seattle and Vancouver have sometimes taken up to five hours (and this is with current, valid US and Canadian work visas.)

5 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

The EU only want the backstop as a way of keeping the whole of the UK closely tied in with the EU customs union and the single market and as a way of still claiming UK VAT, 

To be fair, that is just nothing but bonkers anti-EU paranoia. The EU (and the UK) have a legal obligation to uphold the Belfast Agreement. Maybe you could explain how else the border can remain free and open with two different customs regimes either side of it without a backstop?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

UK VAT forms 10% of the EU budget..?

Vat in total forms about 10% of the EU budget. UK vat is about a fifth of the VAT contributed. So UK vat is about 2% of the EU budget.

 

So Dromedary’s claim is simply part of project lies from the Brexiters.

Edited by Pettytom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

UK VAT forms 10% of the EU budget..?

I saw that but couldn’t be bothered to comment.

 

Looking at some of Dromedary’s other posts he seems to spend a lot of his time on right-wing facebook pages full of fake news and that claim is so obviously fake that it’s laughable. 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

Now ask yourselves why parliament was against the backstop!

It didn't.

 

There has never been a vote on the backstop alone. Parliament voted against May's proposals which included the backstop - amongst many other things.

Edited by Longcol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 0n the US border with Canada topic, the delays are mainly volume of traffic.It's not like everyone is taken away for interrogation or suchlike . lol Besides there are thousands of places where you can just walk over anyway, that is what I meant by undefended.

Edited by Ontarian1981

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Robin-H said:

UK VAT forms 10% of the EU budget..?

Have a read of this:

 

https://fullfact.org/europe/does-uk-pay-fifth-vat-going-eu-budget/

 

Quote:

 

"The EU figures take the rebate off the UK's contribution, and off total EU revenue raised. Following this convention, the UK's share of total EU revenue comes out just under 10%."

2 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

The EU (and the UK) have a legal obligation to uphold the Belfast Agreement.

I agree but that still does not exclude any border controls being put in place.

2 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Looking at some of Dromedary’s other posts he seems to spend a lot of his time on right-wing facebook pages full of fake news and that claim is so obviously fake that it’s laughable. 😂

I am not on any social media sites at all so that claim is laughable.

Edited by Dromedary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.