Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

4 minutes ago, melthebell said:

indeed, as a decent "proper" government, you wouldve taken the referendum results and analysed them, while also looking at any benefits of leaving (which i still dont really much off) and the risks (lots of) then you would announce something, not just blindly shout ok we  are leaving

Or at least be honest with the electorate.

You can’t campaign against leaving on the grounds that great economic damage will be done and then the very next day go ‘OK, we are now going to facilitate that economic damage but it probably wont be that bad.’

After the referendum result we didn’t see economic forecasters saying ‘Oh well, we were wrong and the Leave campaign was right’. They continued to predict economic hardship as the government should have done. When did the government decide to become an extension of the Vote Leave campaign and peddle the same lies and false promises?

We are in this mess regardless of whether the government should have decided to leave or not, simply because they told everyone that it was going to be fine.

And it wasn’t. 🙄

I see the Archbishop of Canterbury is being criticised for interfering in Brexit. 

I don't suppose he'll have any influence, but I don't. see why he shouldn't. express his opinion. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/aug/27/dont-interfere-with-brexit-archbishop-of-canterbury-justin-welby-told#ampshare=https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/aug/27/dont-interfere-with-brexit-archbishop-of-canterbury-justin-welby-told

6 minutes ago, janie48 said:

I see the Archbishop of Canterbury is being criticised for interfering in Brexit. 

I don't suppose he'll have any influence, but I don't. see why he shouldn't. express his opinion. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/aug/27/dont-interfere-with-brexit-archbishop-of-canterbury-justin-welby-told#ampshare=https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/aug/27/dont-interfere-with-brexit-archbishop-of-canterbury-justin-welby-told

generally they shouldnt be involved in political stuff BUT having said that he does tend to get involved in the poor and needy, which this could make a lot more of

Edited by melthebell

2 minutes ago, melthebell said:

generally they shouldnt be involved in political stuff BUT having said that he does tend to get involved in the poor and needy, which this could make a lot more of

Exactly! 

1 minute ago, melthebell said:

generally they shouldnt be involved in political stuff 

Everybody who has a stake in the well-being of this country should be involved.

Where on earth does this idea come from that only certain people should be allowed to voice an opinion on political matters?

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

And now your lies. Davis was in charge. The fact he passed the buck when he got fired for doing his job badly does not absolve him from blame.

No lies from me.  This morning Boris Johnson has sent his chief Brexit negotiator David Frost to Brussels and not the current Brexit Secretary.  When Theresa May was Prime Minister, Oliver Robbins did the job that David Frost is doing now.  Davis was in charge of nothing.

17 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

Boris Johnson has sent his chief Brexit negotiator 

What is the job description of a chief Brexit negotiator when the Brexit negotiations ended nine months ago?

I hope he is not getting paid! 😉

26 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

No lies from me.  This morning Boris Johnson has sent his chief Brexit negotiator David Frost to Brussels and not the current Brexit Secretary.  When Theresa May was Prime Minister, Oliver Robbins did the job that David Frost is doing now.  Davis was in charge of nothing.

What did Davies, on the rare occasion he went to Brussels in 2016/2017 what was he there to do and what was his job title?

7 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

What is the job description of a chief Brexit negotiator when the Brexit negotiations ended nine months ago?

I hope he is not getting paid! 😉

One of his jobs is to try to find an alternative to the Backstop to try to prevent a no-deal exit from the EU.  He is meeting EU officials today. 

I expect he is getting paid.

22 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

One of his jobs is to try to find an alternative to the Backstop to try to prevent a no-deal exit from the EU.  He is meeting EU officials today. 

I expect he is getting paid.

There is no alternative to the backstop.

When Johnson finally agreed to be interviewed during the leadership campaign, he was repeatedly asked about his claim that there were many technological solutions and he repeatedly failed to give a coherent answer to anyone.

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

There is no alternative to the backstop.

When Johnson finally agreed to be interviewed during the leadership campaign, he was repeatedly asked about his claim that there were many technological solutions and he repeatedly failed to give a coherent answer to anyone.

There are alternatives. They’ve been outlined in the Hands/Morgan report. 

The problem is is that the EU doesn’t think they’re as good as the backstop (which of course they aren’t, particularly from an EU perspective ) and so they won’t accept them. 

24 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

There are alternatives. They’ve been outlined in the Hands/Morgan report. 

The problem is is that the EU doesn’t think they’re as good as the backstop (which of course they aren’t, particularly from an EU perspective ) and so they won’t accept them. 

They won’t accept them because they need to be realistic and able to be implimented now, not in 10-15 years time.

At the end of the day, you can’t have a completely open border between two different tax regimes. This was the first thing many people raised when the whole daft idea was proposed but it was ignored by people on both sides of the argument.