Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

8 minutes ago, woodview said:

It's nonesense anyway. I regularly import large shipments of electrical equipment from China (that's non-eu by the way). The goods clear customs virtually straight away, and they have vat and tariffs applied.

Why should imports of french apples sit in customs until they rot? Answer is they won't.

A lot of stuff imported into the UK from outside of the EU comes via Rotterdam. Which leaves the question,  do we have the staff and the facilities to introduce a new system and then implement it without any hiccups and delays? I'm not so sure.

Remember that supermarkets don't really have warehouses to store food anymore, it's uneconomical to do so. It gets imported and then distributed, so there is no slack in the system.

There is serious potential for food shortages.

3 minutes ago, JFKvsNixon said:

A lot of stuff imported into the UK from outside of the EU comes via Rotterdam. Which leaves the question,  do we have the staff and the facilities to introduce a new system and then implement it without any hiccups and delays? I'm not so sure.

The answer is no!

A Channel Four News Special from the Netherlands last year interviewed the head of the Port of Rotterdam. They had already spent millions of €uros on emergency planning but what he said that they needed most was a ton of new customs officers which at the rate they were training them would take a minimum of 18 months.

And another thing that all the cranks and  crackpots who think that we should tell the EU to do one and leave without a deal should realise, is that we will still be subject to international laws, protocols and agreements. Be prepared for billions of dollars worth of law suits for damages from nations, companies and individuals for years to come after a no deal exit. And let's not forget that in an international court, using Project Fear as a defence will be laughed at. UK government ministers and representatives will be told in no uncertain terms that they knew damn well what the implications of no deal were likely to be, regardless of political spin at the time.

44 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

So there won’t be any delays of any kind if we have a no deal Brexit?

Really?

Youve really got an absolute nerve spouting this rubbish.

Where did I say that? Why haven't you made the same comment to the poster saying there'll be disorder because of no food in the shops?

Therewill be delays, especially at first. There won't be a mountain of rotten fruit, veg and meat in Calais, though.

So, stop putting words in my mouth. Also spreading predictions of riots and empty food shelves is hardly sensible or educated is it?

43 minutes ago, JFKvsNixon said:

Remember that supermarkets don't really have warehouses to store food anymore, it's uneconomical to do so. It gets imported and then distributed, so there is no slack in the system.

There is serious potential for food shortages.

True, and I'm sure there will be, in varying degrees. Will there be empty shops and disorder? I'd say not.

Won't there? You have proof there wont be issues? I'd be fascinated b y the "logic" behind you coming to that conclusion.

You think that pointing out obvious problems in the supply chain management isn't educated? Or sensible? Or do you think it's better to sleepwalk into problems - oh wait. Thats exactly what Brexiters have been doing for three years now and look where we are!

1 hour ago, Obelix said:

Do you not understand what happens in a no deal Brexit? Do you not realise how food is moved around the country? Are you going to go get it yourself from the big rotting pile of stuff dumped in Dover?

Food wastage in the uk is already problematic, we are a country full of wasters. On the plus side people will be saving money on not having to go to weight watchers and slimming world etc

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jan/10/uk-throwing-away-13bn-of-food-each-year-latest-figures-show

9 minutes ago, woodview said:

Also spreading predictions of riots and empty food shelves is hardly sensible or educated is it?

I think of predictions of empty food shelves is eminently sensible.

Think about what happens to the bread and meat section in ASDA on the first hot day of the year. Think about what happened to KFC last year when a simple change of supplier when wrong. Now multiply that a thousand fold and add too it the widespread knowledge that shops won't be resupplied by the end of the week or even the end of the month and empty shelves will very soon become the norm.

And of course the poor, the elderly and the disabled will be hardest hit, but then Brexit wasn't designed for their benefit.

14 minutes ago, woodview said:

Where did I say that? Why haven't you made the same comment to the poster saying there'll be disorder because of no food in the shops?

Therewill be delays, especially at first. There won't be a mountain of rotten fruit, veg and meat in Calais, though.

So, stop putting words in my mouth. Also spreading predictions of riots and empty food shelves is hardly sensible or educated is it?

Again, it is the government planning for these scenarios. There is no point you lashing out at posters who are stating that fact, just because it seems you don’t want to believe it.

2 hours ago, ez8004 said:

“Expecting to be asked in interviews that it’s “no-deal if you lose MV3 [a third meaningful vote on the PM’s deal]”, Kwarteng is told to reply “you’re getting ahead of yourselves”.

Elsewhere in the note, headed “top lines and Q&A” it says that if MPs reject the PM’s deal again, “MPs will have to decide how to proceed”. There is no suggestion that a no-deal Brexit is the automatic consequence.”

You realise that UK MPs can't tell the EU what to do right?

2 hours ago, Obelix said:

Well Apelike?

IS this message finally sinking in yet?

Yes, you remainders are just a load of drama queens. Again its amazing that those outside and not effected by any disruption that may occur are somehow worried. To say that half the food imported is just suddenly going to stop an that there will be massive food shortages and civil dissent is very much over egging the pudding.

1 hour ago, Obelix said:

Won't there? You have proof there wont be issues? I'd be fascinated b y the "logic" behind you coming to that conclusion.

Can you prove a negative?

Thats exactly what Brexiters have been doing for three years now and look where we are!

We.. What we? You and some others on here who are complaining still after 3years now reside outside the UK 

I think that what you are really trying to say is that you HOPE that will be the situation.

Edited by apelike

Yes you can prove a negative. Any logics class will tell you that.

There is a certain schadenfreude about the mess youve dug yourself into I admit. Tempered with worry about freinds and family still in the Titanic Britain.

1 minute ago, Obelix said:

Yes you can prove a negative. Any logics class will tell you that.

There is a certain schadenfreude about the mess youve dug yourself into I admit. Tempered with worry about freinds and family still in the Titanic Britain.

Sorry I don't go to logic classes but the idea still stands in that you can't prove that what you say will happen will happen. Let Titanic Britain look after itself and if you were so worried about freiends and family that  much then maybe you should have stayed instead of doing a runner because the going may get tough for YOU.

Why on earth is the going going to get tough for me? I'm in a stable democary which isn't destroying itself at the moment.....

As for proving it - right back at your assertions. However I've given reasons for mine you've not been able to refute so I think on that point the ball is in your court.