Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

7 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

Boris doesn't have to do anything to keep a open border on 1st November 2019.

doesnt he have to wave a magic wand? maybe the unicorn can wag its magic tail?

8 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

Boris doesn't have to do anything to keep a open border on 1st November 2019.

How do you think the EU are going to install a hard border on 1st November 2019 if the UK leave the EU on 31st October 2019 without a deal?   Why don't you come up with answers to your own questions?   

How do you think that the EU will preserve the integrity of their single market if we leave without a deal?

7 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I would say at least 60% of the voting population.

(when asked what percentage would give a mandate)

17 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I don’t think it should be anything,

I think referendums are a ridiculous way to set policy.

(when asked a few hours later what percentage would give a mandate) 

Edited by Robin-H

3 minutes ago, melthebell said:

doesnt he have to wave a magic wand? maybe the unicorn can wag its magic tail?

No, the EU would need to wave a magic wand to install a hard border on 1st November.

3 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

How do you think that the EU will preserve the integrity of their single market if we leave without a deal?

You tell me because they haven't  got a magic wand to install a hard border on 1st November 2019.

23 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

No, the EU would need to wave a magic wand to install a hard border on 1st November.

You tell me because they haven't  got a magic wand to install a hard border on 1st November 2019.

Well, let’s start with the easy bit. There will be chaos at Dover with time critical imports delayed possibly terminally. I’d get yourself a little stockpile sorted if I were you.

In Ireland, you’ll see border checks straight away and these will increase quickly. Have no doubt that the EU aren’t going to have a wide open land border with no supervision . Ultimately you’ll either see a physical border again, or a united  Ireland.

You leavers can sit in denial all you like, but if we crash out, there will be serious consequences.  I do hope you’ll be ready to shoulder the blame.

Edited by Pettytom

8 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

Izzy Whizzy, let's get Bizzy.

9 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

(when asked what percentage would give a mandate)

(when asked a few hours later when percentage would give a mandate) 

It’s a bit pointless asking someone who doesn’t believe in referendums what the threshold for success should be as it’s completely academic.

The general point I was making is that if you are going to have them, you need to set a high enough threshold to avoid a government enacting something which doesn’t have the support of the electorate.

28 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

The French have. Staff, lorry parks, ANPR cameras, the lot. We have nothing set up at all.

3 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

The French have. Staff, lorry parks, ANPR cameras, the lot. We have nothing set up at all.

Wash your mouth out.

We have a field in Kent.

And a ferryless ferry company.

40 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

Izzy Whizzy, let's get Bizzy.

yeah look where whizzy got bizzy the past 3 years, oh wait....................

Edited by melthebell

5 minutes ago, melthebell said:

yeah look where whizzy got bizzy the past 3 years, oh wait....................

I doubt the person I was quoting has a clue what we're on about melvin!

59 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

It could be set up in the space of a week. Hard border does not mean a full physical border. It means the introduction, for starters, of a customs/police presence on major crossing points to check freight/livestock/produce. No doubt that could be bolstered by staff from other EU countries if they wanted. As an additional measure U.K.-origin livestock and produce could be prohibited from use/sale in Ireland or from onward travel to the EU without prior checks, basically nullifying any attempt to bring stuff in on back roads.

There is a lot they can do. And very quickly. They’re better prepared than we are.

For people it is an open border because of a longstanding U.K./Ireland agreement on freedom of movement..