Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

9 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I totally agree!

We had a non-binding, advisory only referendum to see if there was a majority to leave the EU. Neither option got even 40% and there was only 1% between the two options. Yet despite this inconclusive result, a spineless government (and spineless opposition) decided to go with this option.

That, in a nutshell, is why we are in this mess we find ourselves today.

That is the same old broken record rhetoric from a poster who has no respect for democracy.

In a nutshell, we are in this mess today because of people like you.

28 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

That is the same old broken record rhetoric from a poster who has no respect for democracy.

Really?

You want the government to do something which doesn’t have the support of the majority of UK citizens.

I don’t want the government to do something which doesn’t have the support of the majority of UK citizens.

Remind me again who is the democrat? 🤣😂🤣

1 hour ago, Lockdoctor said:

That is hilarious.  I am the voice of reason who respects the democratic EU referendum  vote.  You're embarrassing yourself by referring to the winning side as loony leavers.  The only people to blame for the current situation are Remain voters who unlike me don't respect democracy.

What's more hilarious is your continuous blabbering about 'democracy'-this and 'democratic'-that, clearly without even the most basic grasp of what they mean, and still less so within the context of a parliamentary monarchy like the UK, whose sovereignty vests in Parliament, not the people.

Your MPs decide. Not you, the people. Nor your Prime Minister. Deal with it.

Edited by L00b

52 minutes ago, L00b said:

What's more hilarious is your continuous blabbering about 'democracy'-this and 'democratic'-that, clearly without even the most basic grasp of what they mean, and still less so within the context of a parliamentary monarchy like the UK, whose sovereignty vests in Parliament, not the people.

Our former Prime Minister (David Cameron) who gave authority for the 2016 EU referendum vote, told us all that the people would decide our future relationship with the EU and not our MPs.  Our people decided they no longer wanted to be in the EU.  I don't need to deal with anything because I don't have a problem which our democratic people deciding they no longer wanted to be part of the EU.   

24 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

Our former Prime Minister (David Cameron) who gave authority for the 2016 EU referendum vote, told us all that the people would decide our future relationship with the EU and not our MPs.  Our people decided they no longer wanted to be in the EU.  I don't need to deal with anything because I don't have a problem which our democratic people deciding they no longer wanted to be part of the EU.   

And the democratic people are now saying that they want to have a chance to change their minds.

43 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

No.

MPs voting in majority to enact the 2015 EU Referendum Act gave that 'authority for the 2016 EU referendum vote'. Not David Cameron. Because sovereignty vests in Parliament. If a majority hadn't been achieved in Parliament, there wouldn't have been a referendum.

MPs voting in majority to trigger Article 50, decided for the UK to leave the EU. Not the people. Because sovereignty vests in Parliament. If a majority hadn't been achieved in Parliament, the UK wouldn't have been scheduled to leave the EU at all.

Do you have reading difficulties? I have to ask, since you obviously misunderstood my earlier post.

The extent of the power of your vote, in the UK insofar as governance of the State is concerned, is the selection of your MP for your circonscription. That's it. Once an MP is elected, he or she votes in Parliament, as he or she believes is in the best interests of his or her constituents. Not according to how some or many constituents tell the MP to vote on this, that or the other issue.

EDIT: and should you feel inclined to educate yourself about gradients of democracy, then have a look at how referenda are run in the Republic of Ireland wherein, unlike the UK, sovereignty vests in people, not the Dail (this being the reason why all referenda there are binding, unlike the UK).

Edited by L00b

8 minutes ago, L00b said:

No.

MPs voting in majority to enact the 2015 EU Referendum Act gave that 'authority for the 2016 EU referendum vote'. Not David Cameron. Because sovereignty vests in Parliament. If a majority hadn't been achieved, there wouldn't have been a referendum.

MPs voting in majority to trigger Article 50, decided for the UK to leave the EU. Not the people. Because sovereignty vests in Parliament. If a majority hadn't been achieved, the UK wouldn't have been scheduled to leave the EU at all.

Do you have reading difficulties? I have to ask, since you obviously misunderstood my earlier post.

I am surprised due to the hot weather you're still skating.  All that spinning you do will make the ice melt more quickly.

13 minutes ago, Litotes said:

And the democratic people are now saying that they want to have a chance to change their minds.

Which democratic people are these?  The recent  democratic European Elections results proved the desire for our country to leave the EU hasn't diminished since the democratic 2016 EU referendum.  You are sadly deluded if your really believe our democratic people have changed their minds.

Whatever your view people want it sorted they are sick of it now.

Boris has to get us to leave by October or he have will failed on his main pledge and he knows it.

Corbyn has been worse than even May over Brexit imo, he even told the Torys they should hold another referendum but refused to say if he would do so himself!

30 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

Which democratic people are these?  The recent  democratic European Elections results proved the desire for our country to leave the EU hasn't diminished since the democratic 2016 EU referendum.  You are sadly deluded if your really believe our democratic people have changed their minds.

So, you aren’t a proper democrat then. 

You only want the bit of democracy that suits you.

That’s a bit of hard luck. Parliament will decide what happens next. That is it’s job.  That’s why the people of the UK voted for them in 2017.  That’s proper democracy 

I very much doubt that Parliament will choose no deal. It is more likely to choose no Boris.

33 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

I am surprised due to the hot weather you're still skating.  All that spinning you do will make the ice melt more quickly.

How's that then?  More people voted for EU parties than pro brexit...

Not that the election was a pseudo referendum anyway.

33 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

(...)

I’m not surprised that you’re answering with even more inane blabbering.

Nows probably a good time to remind you all to read the first post (and the warning at the top of every page) before posting.