Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

10 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

There are 27 EU commissioners who are in office on 20 thousand euros a month who have been appointed and not directly voted for. This is not a lie but fact. I expect you to withdraw your lie accusation asap.

Angel1.

They are voted in by members, who we vote in so yes they are elected

Clarity?

What Is a European Commissioner?

A Commissioner is the title given to an individual who is appointed by the member states and the European Parliament to run the Commission i.e. the institution as a whole, and take its decisions. To give a business analogy, they would be the board of Directors in a company.

Individual Commissioners will be appointed to head the various Commission Directorate Generales (DG).

There are currently thirty Commissioners altogether, and when they meet, which usually happens every Wednesday, the session is known as the "college".

Commissioners have generally all held political positions in their own countries, and many have been government ministers, but as Members of the Commission they are committed to acting in the interests of the Union as a whole and not taking instructions from national governments.

A new Commission is appointed every five years, within six months of the elections to the European Parliament.

The procedure for appointing a Commissioner is as follows:

The member state governments agree together on who to designate as the new Commission President.

The Commission President-designate, in discussion with the member state governments, chooses the other 29 Members of the Commission.

The new Parliament then interviews all 30 members and gives its opinion on the entire "college".

If approved, the new Commission can officially start work in the the January following the European Parliamentary elections.

59 minutes ago, melthebell said:

They are voted in by members, who we vote in so yes they are elected

Indeed.

For contrast, I wonder how this young mandarin was 'voted' into Whitehall at the time?

I mean, after Gove gave him a £105k advisor job at the Department of Education 5 years ago...someone better not post how much he was on for that no deal-planning gig :twisted:

Edited by L00b

3 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

There are 27 EU commissioners who are in office on 20 thousand euros a month who have been appointed and not directly voted for. This is not a lie but fact. I expect you to withdraw your lie accusation asap.

Angel1.

Wrong. Completely.

1 hour ago, I1L2T3 said:

Wrong. Completely.

You won't get facts through to them.

Until they finally realise that they're never getting what they voted for.

When they're ready to learn how and why that is as intelligent human beings, rather than to continue parrotting dog whistles like trained monkeys, then you might ;)

Edited by L00b

The woman who started the Revoke Article 50 petition in February, is still receiving daily death threats five months later.

Well done all those champions of democracy. 👍

7 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

Wrong. Completely.

As can be seen in my post above,

Individual Commissioners will be appointed to head the various Commission Directorate Generales (DG).

Did anyone see Andrew Neil’s interview with Boris Johnson on the BBC?

I’m not a big fan of Neil but he gave Johnson an absolute roasting and wouldn’t let him waffle, change the subject or refuse to answer a question.

13 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Angel1.

No I won't. The Prime minister of the UK is not 'directly voted for', nor are any of the members of the cabinet. Nor are any of the key civil servants. Your lie is that the commissioners are 'undemocratic' and by extension that the EU is undemocratic. All that your post proves is that you haven't got a clue about democracy, how it is supposed to work and what your role in it is.

I'll do you one up - the EU is MORE democratic than the UK. At least the oversight office is elected, in the UK we appoint folks some other folks like to be members of the House of Lords.

I'd heartily recommend becoming more informed about these matters before you post your next uninformed and extremely biased point of view.

3 hours ago, retep said:

As can be seen in my post above,

Appointed by who, and even before that nominated by who?

14 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

Appointed by who, and even before that nominated by who?

Perhaps they used this method,