Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

9 hours ago, Car Boot said:

Brexit party to win it's first seat in Parliament...

Losers. Lost. 

4 minutes ago, Halibut said:

Losers. Lost. 

LEAVE won the Peterborough by-election.

8 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Also losers.

14 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Ludicrous 

57 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Who would have thought? European election results did not translate into electing an MP. AGAIN. 

1 hour ago, Car Boot said:

And there was me thinking that you had no sense of humour. Thank you for brightening my morning 😀

Of course, by-election results are complex things, but this one looks like a rejection of a reckless Brexit at any cost. 

I see see that old Nige slunk away from the count without talking to the media. Good.

It's not as straightforward as both the entrenched camps claim.

Labour won, campaigning on local issues, but vote fell from 23k to 10.5k .

Tories fell from 23k to 7k.

Brexit up from nil to 10k.

Lib dems and greens up 3k to 6k ish.

Not a seal of approval for anybody. In truth I don't think any party supporter who's a realist will be cracking open the champagne, whichever party.

20 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

Not a seal of approval for anybody. In truth I don't think any party supporter who's a realist will be cracking open the champagne, whichever party.

It doesn't, but......

It does show that despite leavers celebrations like they've just won the world cup after the eu elections, when it matters not a jot about Brexit

In reality, in an election that matters people have rejected them to a greater or lesser extent

1 hour ago, Voice of reason said:

For Remainers, there really is nothing to crow about, based on the above figures (thx for these, Voice).

29k votes were stripped from the Lab/Con mainstays, with 10k of these to the Brexit Party and only 3k of these to the LibDems, leaving 16k (ex-)votes floating about in the wind.

The Tories underperformed the brand-shiny-new Brexit Party by 30%, that's going to influence the party's policies and messages further, just like it did in view of the UKIP vote yesteryear.

The 700-odd majority by the Labour MP candidate, campaigning on local issues relative to a parachuted candidate of a months-old single-issue 'party', looks more accidental than anything in that context.

Personally, I find that worrying for the UK. That second referendum some are pushing? Bad idea if you ask me.

Edited by L00b

Does anyone think that in the very near future Farage is going to get welcomed back into the Tory party? I think it's the only way they can stop him.

23 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Does anyone think that in the very near future Farage is going to get welcomed back into the Tory party? I think it's the only way they can stop him.

I don't: his goal is to have voters consider a Tory vote as a wasted vote, and he's shrewd enough to foresee the dilution of his personal brand, which Tory Central would try and engineer immediately after.

He'll be quite happy to continue riding a highly-simplistic "push Brexit through and stop Labour" political platform, hoovering up Tory/UKIP and assorted other ignorant and/or disenfranchised votes to electoral success.

As witnessed time and again over that past few years, and right now still with the Tory premiership race (entirely devoid of any new ideas about Brexit, and still less ideas about the balance of the 99% other policy areas), the name of the current political game in the UK is to "get elected" and that's it, who cares about manifestos and policies anymore.

Edited by L00b