Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

38 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

MPs voted by 544 to 53 in favour to hold the 2016 EU referendum which suggests to me it wasn't just approved by a minority in the Tory Party.  The referendum act was introduced into parliament by a Tory called Philip Hammond who was the Foreign Secretary at the time. That is the same Philip Hammond who isn't keen on our country leaving the EU now.

And how did it get on the 2015 Tory manifesto in the first place?

GDP growth since the referendum has been 3.1% higher in all the EU countries compared to just the UK, if that carries on for another 5 years, it will take us a long time to recover it back.

2 hours ago, Litotes said:

Did not the public demand ask them for the initial referendum? I think you will find that it did, and that the public have many times before exerted their will on parliament to get what they wanted.

No, the public have never demanded a referendum at any time, however the politicians and political parties have as a means of gaining public support. Labour and the LibDems have included one in their manifesto's at sometime in the past and the Conservatives also did but they actually went ahead with one because they were scared of the UKIP influence and them gaining seats in parliament.

2 hours ago, Litotes said:

Currently there seems to be a wish of the people to have a confirmatory referendum which includes an option to return to the status quo. So who are the MPs to stand in the way of the electorate?

You mentioned the wish of the people, whatever that means, but is that the wish of the electorate? Whether you like it or not it is the electorate that counts as that is how democracy works in the UK. As for the MP's they are elected to supposedly represent us but many have now shown that they don't and are trying to outdo each other by proposing bills that have little chance of getting a majority or being passed. This whole mess, and I agree it is a mess, is because the MP's were very complacent and seriously underestimated the public and their own importance and never once thought or planned for a vote to leave result when drafting up the referendum bill. They, as the saying goes, will reap what they have sown and rightly so.

2 hours ago, El Cid said:

GDP growth since the referendum has been 3.1% higher in all the EU countries compared to just the UK, if that carries on for another 5 years, it will take us a long time to recover it back.

I don't think that is right so can you provide the source. That may be the GDP growth of the EU overall as the GDP in each member county varies a great deal. To compare GDP growth it must be on a country to country basis and not one country vs the average of the whole of the EU.

20 hours ago, Baron99 said:

So there might be some changes afoot come the Autumn especially as the likes of Juncker is on his way out? 

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1133422/BBC-News-Brexit-UK-latest-negotiations-no-deal-latest-Theresa-May-backstop-Katya-Adler

The likeliest successor to Juncker is German and a much tougher operator, and Sabine-the-machine Weygand has been appointed Director of the EU's external trade arm (so the UK negotiating team will now be facing her, not Barnier, in pre- and post-Brexit negotiations).

Those changes do not favour the UK at all.

7 hours ago, apelike said:

I don't think that is right so can you provide the source. That may be the GDP growth of the EU overall as the GDP in each member county varies a great deal. To compare GDP growth it must be on a country to country basis and not one country vs the average of the whole of the EU.

You don't think its right, because you don't like the figures?

43 minutes ago, El Cid said:

You don't think its right, because you don't like the figures?

No I don't think it is correct as I have already read some figures on it and can only ask you to provide the links to yours so as to compare them.

12 hours ago, apelike said:

But that is where you are very wrong, so do keep up.  :) I have said many times on here that if parliament want to declare that another referendum is necessary I will accept their decision as it is their prerogative to do so as it is them that rule us. I have also stated that by doing so, and being pressurised into it by public demand will cause a big problem for them and parliament in the future as it sets a precedent whereby the public in a sense then make the decisions not them. One of the reasons I also believe that there will not be another referendum.

But only with our consent.

Angel1.

1 minute ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Angel1.

you give your consent when you vote for the ruling party?

3 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Angel1.

True but that consent is valid for 5 years or until the next GE but in between we can do nothing except vote them out at the next GE.

Edited by apelike

9 minutes ago, apelike said:

No I don't think it is correct as I have already read some figures on it and can only ask you to provide the links to yours so as to compare them.

Last figures I heard on the wireless, was that the UK GDP growth was above the the rest of the 27.

Angel1

2 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Last figures I heard on the wireless, was that the UK GDP growth was above the the rest of the 27.

Angel1

That's the problem, we need to know where El Cid gets his figures from as it may just be hearsay otherwise.