Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

2 hours ago, L00b said:

The strong likelihood is that it was all ready to go for months, if not longer, but with the big red 'Court' button to be pressed only in the event that the PM slot opened and that Boris would run for it.

The problem with that theory is that the timing is wrong. A private prosecution has less priority than a CPS prosecution so this case would have been listed at least six months ago.

And those saying that all you need is money and support for a private prosecution, may I remind you that you also need the backing of the CPS. If this case has got as far as a preliminary hearing then the CPS will have already looked at it and judged that it both reaches the evidential threshold and is in the public interest. If not the CPS can take over a private prosecution and kill it.

ETA The application to list this  case was made four months ago in February.

Edited by Top Cats Hat

46 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

So there might be some changes afoot come the Autumn

Not to the withdrawal agreement there won't be.

As always take great care when reading any tripe the tabloids put out.

1 hour ago, geared said:

As always take great care when reading any tripe the tabloids put out.

Well that would be tripe from the mouth of one of the BBC's senior European reporters, Katya Adler. 

On a similar note, there's also this: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/30/eu-chief-negotiator-blames-brexit-on-nostalgia-for-the-past-michel-barnier

Really, some gravy train riding Europeans still can't believe that the UK had the audacity to vote to leave them & are now playing the "Little Englander" card.  Rediculous as it is pathetic from the likes of Barnier. 

Edited by Baron99

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

On a similar note, there's also this: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/30/eu-chief-negotiator-blames-brexit-on-nostalgia-for-the-past-michel-barnier

Really, some gravy train riding Europeans still can't believe that the UK had the audacity to vote to leave them & are now playing the "Little Englander" card.  Rediculous as it is pathetic from the likes of Barnier. 

Being French his idol is probably de Gaulle and he's probably been reading some of de Gaulle's speeches on the UK by the sounds of it. de Gaulle explained why he vetoed the UK from joining what was then the EEC. According to de Gaulle, England was insular, had a maritime culture as an Island which meant it was not really European and would not fit in with the great European project. Barnier probabely hates David Davis as well after he stated" if a democracy cant change its mind (UK) it ceases to be a democracy."

Maybe it will be found that Nostradamus who was also French also predicted the fall of the EU as well.....

Edited by apelike

1 hour ago, apelike said:

Barnier probabely hates David Davis as well after he stated" if a democracy cant change its mind (UK) it ceases to be a democracy."

The irony of you quoting the above about being able to change one's mind when you are against giving the UK electorate the chance to do so is not lost.

4 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Well that would be tripe from the mouth of one of the BBC's senior European reporters, Katya Adler. 

Given the fact that Scotland and NI voted overwhelmingly to stay in the EU it's not a comment that's far off the mark. Add some of the comments of some key brexitèers- Johnson in particular then he's really close to the mark.

3 hours ago, Litotes said:

The irony of you quoting the above about being able to change one's mind when you are against giving the UK electorate the chance to do so is not lost.

But that is where you are very wrong, so do keep up.  :) I have said many times on here that if parliament want to declare that another referendum is necessary I will accept their decision as it is their prerogative to do so as it is them that rule us. I have also stated that by doing so, and being pressurised into it by public demand will cause a big problem for them and parliament in the future as it sets a precedent whereby the public in a sense then make the decisions not them. One of the reasons I also believe that there will not be another referendum.

Edited by apelike

10 minutes ago, apelike said:

But that is where you are very wrong, so do keep up.  :) I have said many times on here that if parliament want to declare that another referendum is necessary I will accept their decision as it is their prerogative to do so as it is them that rule us. I have also stated that by doing so, and being pressurised into it by public demand will cause a big problem for them and parliament in the future as it sets a precedent whereby the public in a sense then make the decisions not them. One of the reasons I also believe that there will not be another referendum.

Better to have a referendum on Europe wanted by the public than one that was due to pressure from a minority in the Tory party.

Edited by Longcol

15 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Better to have a referendum on Europe wanted by the public than one that was due to pressure from a minority in the Tory party.

MPs voted by 544 to 53 in favour to hold the 2016 EU referendum which suggests to me it wasn't just approved by a minority in the Tory Party.  The referendum act was introduced into parliament by a Tory called Philip Hammond who was the Foreign Secretary at the time. That is the same Philip Hammond who isn't keen on our country leaving the EU now.

Edited by Lockdoctor

1 hour ago, apelike said:

Did not the public demand ask them for the initial referendum? I think you will find that it did, and that the public have many times before exerted their will on parliament to get what they wanted.

Currently there seems to be a wish of the people to have a confirmatory referendum which includes an option to return to the status quo. So who are the MPs to stand in the way of the electorate?