Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

2 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

That will very much depend on the jury.

It is not outside the realm of possibility that a jury made up of people thoroughly  fed up with the current political system may ignore the direction of the judge and bring back a guilty verdict.

Possible yes, probable no. 

1 hour ago, Magilla said:

"Misconduct in public office"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48445430

Gunna be interesting!

Even more interesting is the dozens of other prosecutions possible for all the other political liars. It's going to be like shooting fish in a barrel.

But, unlikely, as this is a private prosecution enabled by those with political motive and funds to do so.

33 minutes ago, apelike said:

First off.. Anyone who thinks Boris should be PM is about as nuts as him.

But, this will also depend on when this is scheduled to go to court as that will almost certainly be well after the PM contest an in all honesty I doubt he will be found guilty of anything.

The “possibility” of him being found guilty is too big a risk for the parliamentary MPs to take when they whittle their list down to two. 

19 minutes ago, apelike said:

Possible yes, probable no. 

You may be right but Johnson has an appalling track record for duplicity and shameless lying, examples of which will all be offered in evidence.

10 minutes ago, ez8004 said:

The “possibility” of him being found guilty is too big a risk for the parliamentary MPs to take when they whittle their list down to two. 

From about 50 candidates by the time they've finished. Kit Malthouse has put his name forward, no idea who he is except his name sounds like a limited edition biscuit.

11 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

You may be right but Johnson has an appalling track record for duplicity and shameless lying, examples of which will all be offered in evidence.

The lie about Turkey joining the EU still features prominently on the Vote Leave website.

http://www.voteleavetakecontrol.org/why_vote_leave.html

7 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

From about 50 candidates by the time they've finished. Kit Malthouse has put his name forward, no idea who he is except his name sounds like a limited edition biscuit.

Or summat to do with homebrew.

31 minutes ago, Longcol said:

The lie about Turkey joining the EU still features prominently on the Vote Leave website.

http://www.voteleavetakecontrol.org/why_vote_leave.html

What will almost certainly be offered in evidence will be film of Johnson at the JCB factory denying that he ever mentioned Turkey in the referendum campaign. He was then followed by Channel Four’s Michael Crick reading out quotes from speeches he had made about Turkey and ended up locking himself in a room. 

Not it only a liar but a coward who doesn’t have the stones to stand and argue their case. Whether he is found guilty or not, he is not going to come out of this trial well, especially if there are no reporting restrictions.

Now, what's the betting on which side primed this private prosecution of Boris?

The strong likelihood is that it was all ready to go for months, if not longer, but with the big red 'Court' button to be pressed only in the event that the PM slot opened and that Boris would run for it.

I'm thinking moderate Conservatives. They have form for knifing in the back. If that's the doing of Gove, it would be the height of irony :D

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

He sponsored the so called Malthouse Amendment as one of the possible solutions to breaking the Brexit deadlock. If I remembered correctly, it was completely defeated after something like less than 50 MPs supported it. 

12 minutes ago, L00b said:

Now, what's the betting on which side primed this private prosecution of Boris?

The strong likelihood is that it was all ready to go for months, if not longer, but with the big red 'Court' button to be pressed only in the event that the PM slot opened and that Boris would run for it.

I'm thinking moderate Conservatives. They have form for knifing in the back. If that's the doing of Gove, it would be the height of irony :D

I do like your train of thought 😎

Edited by Longcol

8 minutes ago, ez8004 said:

He sponsored the so called Malthouse Amendment as one of the possible solutions to breaking the Brexit deadlock. If I remembered correctly, it was completely defeated after something like less than 50 MPs supported it. 

Malthouse Amendment is essentially carry on as now, and reach same impasse in 2 years time, based on wishful thinking re: the N.I Border.

It's just going back to the start again.