Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

8 minutes ago, apelike said:

I believe that all those I have cited were free votes and free of any whip. Some of the recent brexit bills introduced however have been subject to the whip so some MP's will have voted along party lines and not their own.

I thought the vote to envoke A50 wasn't free?

6 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Haha! 😂

It doesn't actually help your case if you link to a bonkers anti-EU pressure group. That is just as stupid as linking to a Daily Express article to help in an argument about immigration!

Would that be the same as linking Tabloid newspapers interest in the colour of a newborn child ? A simple yes or no will do

5 hours ago, Dardandec said:

Edited by Dardandec

8 minutes ago, Dardandec said:

If the ........ is over my post, its not aimed at you

Just now, hackey lad said:

If the ........ is over my post, its not aimed at you

It wasn't aimed at anyone mate, posted in error and edited. :hihi:

Just now, Dardandec said:

It wasn't aimed at anyone mate, posted in error and edited. :hihi:

:thumbsup:

On 22/04/2019 at 16:28, Tony said:

Then you mean daily clearing, not "financial services". We can only work with what you write, not what you imagine. 

AAUI around a quarter of daily clearing is expected to move. People will have their own thoughts on what that means in reality to the long term UK economy as a whole, when Deutsche Bank et al move their short term business because of the corporate domicile reasons I cited above. 

Meantime, I will consider myself educated. :)

The banks aren't going anywhere.

Nowhere in Europe would they be allowed to launder as much money as they can in City of London.

6 hours ago, geared said:

I thought the vote to envoke A50 wasn't free?

You are right in that Labour had a whip to get their MP's to vote for A50 but 47 didn't including 13 frontbenchers, and they were mainly the ones in remain labour areas.

11 hours ago, Revel said:

The banks aren't going anywhere.

Nowhere in Europe would they be allowed to launder as much money as they can in City of London.

Meanwhile, back in reality

29 Nov 2018 - London will lose up to to €800bn (£700bn) in assets to rival financial hub Frankfurt by March 2019 as banks start to transfer business to the German city before Brexit day.

7 Jan 2019 - London (CNN Business)Brexit hasn't happened yet but it's already shrinking the United Kingdom's financial services industry. Banks and other financial companies have shifted at least £800 billion ($1 trillion) worth of assets out of the country 

Sunset on London? Banks say they will shift significant resources out of the UK irrespective of the outcome of Brexit

The world’s biggest investment banks will not reverse plans to shift billions of dollars and thousands of jobs out of the UK even if Britain ends up staying in the European Union, senior bank executives and people with knowledge of the plans revealed to Financial News.

In a big blow to the City, at least eight of the largest investment banks in London, including Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Citigroup, Goldman Sachs and JPMorgan, have said they will shift a significant proportion of their operations to Europe irrespective of the outcome of Brexit.

The move would harm the City of London’s status as a global financial centre. Banks are already preparing to move hundreds of billions of dollars from London to the continent after Brexit. Deutsche Bank is reportedly set to shift €400bn from its balance sheet to Frankfurt, while JPMorgan will move €200bn to the German city.

“Everything is timetabled, and once the plane is on the runway, it’s not going to be called back,” said a UK head at a large investment bank based in the City.

Edited by Cyclone

10 hours ago, apelike said:

You are right in that Labour had a whip to get their MP's to vote for A50 but 47 didn't including 13 frontbenchers, and they were mainly the ones in remain labour areas.

It's surprisingly hard to check so long after, I thought it might be recorded as other Parliamentary business is.

It's important information in my opinion.

Edited by geared

2 hours ago, geared said:

It's surprisingly hard to check so long after, I thought it might be recorded as other Parliamentary business is.

It's important information in my opinion.

You are correct as it is a bit of important information and to be honest I didnt think any party used a whip on that occasion. One thing it does show though is how much labour and its leader were at that time pro-brexit and determined that A50 was passed.

Yes, back before the cult of Corbyn began to crumble.

Now it's more a case of do they let him contest the next GE or boot him out before and take a genuine run at it?