Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

18 minutes ago, Obelix said:

Remaining in the collecitivised EU is very much the radical progressive way forwards.

Conservative, both big and little c is to leave as that was the original status quo...

I enjoyed your post.

It is very amusing.

How you twist yourself into rhetorical knots to somehow prove that maintaining the current establishment status quo is actually the radical option...

Edited by Car Boot

33 minutes ago, Chez2 said:

This is what I was saying earlier. The Bulgarians I know that used to come over to harvest various crops went to other EU countries last year and did hospitality jobs. They tell me they have to speak several languages to work in hospitality or supermarkets in their own country in the tourist resorts so they have the language skills to be flexible. 

Most migrant workers speak several languages: it is the skillset that most enables them to get the jobs wherever, and which broadens (types of-) job opportunities.

For EU ones, freedom of movement simply broadens the job market beyond their domestic borders and makes it more accessible: it's a personal enabler, and those with the drive and initiative to use it will always make the most of it.

But economic migration and associated multilingual skills did not wait for the EU and FoM: how many of you (or your parents) know Poles, Ukrainians, Italians <etc> who came to the UK to work in the pits, steelworks <etc> so many decades ago (and longer)?

Most people here in Lux speak 2 or 3 languages fluently (natives learn and speak 3 by default, French-German-Luxembourgish: English and others are extras), and some at the lower end of the socio-professional ladder speak more than most (don't expect to land a receptionist job anywhere unless you can speak 5 at least: the 4 mentioned above, plus any of Italian, Portuguese, Arabic, Japanese or Chinese). I've got a team of 5 paralegals (5 nationalities: Lux, Belgian, French, Hungarian, Romanian), they total about 12 different languages, written and spoken, between them.

The only people (person, actually) I've ever met here who can't really speak more than 1 language is our Portuguese building cleaner.

Multilinguism has long been the  norm for economic migrants, and in the XXIst century, it is fast becoming a fundamental competitive advantage for job applicants, gained on the back of a quality education. On that last front, what little I've seen of it in the UK whilst my kid was in state education until last year, is beyond parodic. She's been learning an extra 2 languages since we moved last year, making her fluent in 2, by now competent in German, and getting there with Luxembourgish (...better than mine at any rate :blush::D)

Edited by L00b

Why do you think it's important whether it's the radical option or not.  Being radical doesn't make it correct, in fact it makes it rather suspect before you even start to investigate the realities of it as we have now done.

2 hours ago, bendix said:

leave is very much a radical move.

Radical yes, but not progressive.

Most leave supporters  I've ever met voted that way not to step forward into some brave  new world but to step backwards to a time where they felt more comfortable, everyone had a guaranteed job and you only ever heard English spoken in the town centre.

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

Why do you think it's important whether it's the radical option or not.  Being radical doesn't make it correct, in fact it makes it rather suspect before you even start to investigate the realities of it as we have now done.

Because the status quo, which Remain is so desperate to preserve, has failed the majority.

"There were many many people who didn't hear, or wouldn't listen, to the argument that the EU has made us a more prosperous country, and I think there's a reason for that. Because, over the last 30 years, all the evidence shows that actually that prosperity has been shared with only very rich people, and they've not had their fair share of that."

Tom Watson, Deputy Leader of the Labour party.

The talk of being radical is an interesting subject as i, being an anarchist and not trusting big business, government including the EU but come out in favour of remain is confusing  because of a couple of things.

1: I respect others, no matter of their nationality, race, country of origin, sex, sexuality, religion etc. There is a surge of xenophobia, nationalism, racism, bigotry and general idiocy which has surfaced after the last few years and is now the "alternative" and what was the alternative strangely is now the norm.

BUT

i wouldnt call it radical, nor would i call it a "good" thing, hence why being a long standing campaigner against racism i will not agree with it and its consequences.

2: lies, i will not stand by and let my family and other peoples families lose their incomes and lifestyles because of what is based on lies and mistruths, my parents always instilled in me to be honest and tell the truth and i inturn do the same to my children...whatever happened to honesty?

So calling it the status quo versus being radical is very simplistic but thats what leavers seem to like, its not a case of wanting the status quo its about rejecting all of the above lies and general racism etc etc

Edited by melthebell

2 hours ago, L00b said:

Most migrant workers speak several languages: it is the skillset that most enables them to get the jobs wherever, and which broadens (types of-) job opportunities.

For EU ones, freedom of movement simply broadens the job market beyond their domestic borders and makes it more accessible: it's a personal enabler, and those with the drive and initiative to use it will always make the most of it.

But economic migration and associated multilingual skills did not wait for the EU and FoM: how many of you (or your parents) know Poles, Ukrainians, Italians <etc> who came to the UK to work in the pits, steelworks <etc> so many decades ago (and longer)?

Most people here in Lux speak 2 or 3 languages fluently (natives learn and speak 3 by default, French-German-Luxembourgish: English and others are extras), and some at the lower end of the socio-professional ladder speak more than most (don't expect to land a receptionist job anywhere unless you can speak 5 at least: the 4 mentioned above, plus any of Italian, Portuguese, Arabic, Japanese or Chinese). I've got a team of 5 paralegals (5 nationalities: Lux, Belgian, French, Hungarian, Romanian), they total about 12 different languages, written and spoken, between them.

The only people (person, actually) I've ever met here who can't really speak more than 1 language is our Portuguese building cleaner.

Multilinguism has long been the  norm for economic migrants, and in the XXIst century, it is fast becoming a fundamental competitive advantage for job applicants, gained on the back of a quality education. On that last front, what little I've seen of it in the UK whilst my kid was in state education until last year, is beyond parodic. She's been learning an extra 2 languages since we moved last year, making her fluent in 2, by now competent in German, and getting there with Luxembourgish (...better than mine at any rate :blush::D)

No nation has ever prospered by allowing its workforce to become economic nomads to suit the short term needs of transnational big business.

A basic right of any worker is to be able to prosper and grow in the land of their birth and to have meaningful, gainful employment. The EU Project seeks to deplete the economies of Eastern Europe of their skills and youth in order to undermine the social provisions and communities of the west through enforced migration. 

Long Brexit extension incoming. 

Not leaving on Friday then.

13 minutes ago, ez8004 said:

Long Brexit extension incoming. 

Not leaving on Friday then.

The rich have won, once again. 

Revolution is coming. Stuff the status quo.

5 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

yup, every song sounds the same

9 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

The rich have won, once again. 

Slight problem. The people bankrolling Brexit are the rich.