Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

They won’t accept them because they need to be realistic and able to be implimented now, not in 10-15 years time.

At the end of the day, you can’t have a completely open border between two different tax regimes. This was the first thing many people raised when the whole daft idea was proposed but it was ignored by people on both sides of the argument.

I agree no one mentioned a backstop during the build up to the referendum that I remember.

4 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

There is no alternative to the backstop.

There is and that is to have a border!

Also the policing of ones borders is a requirement of operating under WTO terms.

Johnson and his cronies talk about WTO terms as some kind of panacea whereby the UK can stick two fingers up to the EU and the Irish border ‘problem’ will disappear.

They are lying to us. 😡 

What is the Backstop in relation the Brexit situation? I am not really following too closely at the moment.

Edited by Ontarian1981
Spelling

28 minutes ago, Ontarian1981 said:

What is the Backstop in relation the Brexit situation? I am not really following too closely at the moment.

OK the backstop in one paragraph.

A border exists between the North and South of Ireland which MUST allow freedom of movement of goods and people under the 1998 Belfast Agreement. If the UK leaves the EU then this border becomes an EU/non-EU border. To get around this, the backstop is an amendment to the withdrawal agreement which keeps the North of Ireland in a customs union with the EU so that there are no tariff differences across that border and it can be kept open.

Does that make sense?

57 minutes ago, Ontarian1981 said:

Boris and the Brexiteers are prepared to throw  the Good Friday Agreement (effectively a peace treaty) under the bus to achieve a no deal Brexit. If it all kicked off in NI again they would blame everybody but themselves.

56 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

This explains it well. 

https://fullfact.org/europe/irish-backstop/

Thanks, what a head scratcher, what a mess.. Who votes these for these stupid political leaders?

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

OK the backstop in one paragraph.

A border exists between the North and South of Ireland which MUST allow freedom of movement of goods and people under the 1998 Belfast Agreement. If the UK leaves the EU then this border becomes an EU/non-EU border. To get around this, the backstop is an amendment to the withdrawal agreement which keeps the North of Ireland in a customs union with the EU so that there are no tariff differences across that border and it can be kept open.

Does that make sense?

It's way over my head, what a mess these guys have created. This bull**** is asking for a return of the troubles to Ireland, unbelievable.

3 hours ago, hobinfoot said:

I agree no one mentioned a backstop during the build up to the referendum that I remember.

But the Good Friday agreement and the issues with the border in Ireland were mentioned repeatedly, and ignored as not appropriate by Brexiteers. Just one of many points that were ignored, all of which are coming back to haunt Johnson.

40 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Boris and the Brexiteers are prepared to throw  the Good Friday Agreement (effectively a peace treaty) under the bus to achieve a no deal Brexit. If it all kicked off in NI again they would blame everybody but themselves.

Yeah, I just answeed the other guys above.I can see no good coming from all this, I really can't.

4 minutes ago, Ontarian1981 said:

This bull**** is asking for a return of the troubles to Ireland, unbelievable.

I was in Ireland last week and saw a very informed programme on RTE about the situation in the North. Not only have dissident Republican paramilitaries been recruiting at record levels but Loyalist paramilitaries have also been re-arming in anticipation of the very real prospect of a united Ireland.

As the ‘IRA’s political aims have never been closer to being achieved and the Loyalists’ fears have never been more real, there is potential for a bloodbath of similar proportions to the early 70s. The most chilling interview was with an ex-Provisional IRA volunteer who said that significant numbers of his old comrades are considering a return to the ‘armed struggle’. Current dissident Republicans are a bit of a clown car of disparate nationalist elements but the ‘old Provos’ have the discipline, political acumen, ruthlessness and military skills to carry out a prolonged war until Britain walks away from Ireland for good.

And yes, you are right. Militant Republicanism was dying on its arse until Brexit came along. 

19 minutes ago, Ontarian1981 said:

Yeah, I just answeed the other guys above.I can see no good coming from all this, I really can't.

Not what you said - HERE

"Broken the country " lol. How can any democratic government on earth ever allow that to happen because of a referendum?

Put the sandwich board away and think of solutions to the "problems" ahead instead of ridiculing everyone who thinks that leaving is a good thing.

I am assuming you believe in a democratic society, therefore respect the majority decision and then do something to help turn it in your favour instead of accepting it and being a doomsayer.

Some of you guys seem to thrive on gloomy outlooks rather than thinking of ways to work within the framework of a democratic vote.

Just remember the three stages of a preconceived gloomy outlook i.e.Denial..Anger..Acceptance..

Most of you are in the Anger mode at the moment. However Acceptance will arrive on Halloween...Deal with it.