Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

7 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

You are correct.

Until the people reject that idea.

But that is an "until" and a highly unlikely scenario given that the majority of people prefer to keep her in place.  

10 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

But that is an "until" and a highly unlikely scenario given that the majority of people prefer to keep her in place.  

But it is still the case that the queen and the Government are there by permission of the people.

That permission might wear thin if either of them participate in undemocratic acts.

21 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

That’s a damn fine post. I saw two guys holding hands walking down Hanover Way today and as a heterosexual married man it made me feel happy.

Quite.

I have never understood how messed up somebody’s brain must be to want to embrace prejudice. The nearest I got is assuming it is some deep rooted inferiority complex where “if I can’t have/be what I want then no one else should.” is the reason.

30 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Quite.

I have never understood how messed up somebody’s brain must be to want to embrace prejudice. The nearest I got is assuming it is some deep rooted inferiority complex where “if I can’t have/be what I want then no one else should.” is the reason.

I guess we are just born lucky TC?

Edited by Mister Gee

9 hours ago, Litotes said:

Democracy is about having the ability to change your mind.

Boris is being totalitarian and dictatorial in not giving the electorate the chance to either confirm the leave mandate or change their minds.

And you are supporting this mindset - and we all know where that ended up previously.

Are you aligning yourself with those in history that took a similar undemocratic stance?

Yes or no?  (Or once again do we not get a clear answer?)

I support democracy which is why I support Boris Johnson implementing the democratic 2016 EU referendum result. Boris Johnson is doing exactly what he said he will do during the Tory leadership campaign. Our Parliamentary representatives gave whoever is our Prime Minister the authority to do exactly what Boris Johnson is doing when they overwhelmingly voted in favour of triggering Article 50 making leaving the EU without a deal the legal default position. David Cameron made it clear to the electorate before the 2016 EU referendum that if the UK people voted to leave the EU then the UK would leave the EU and there would be no second referendum or  renegotiation about remaining in the EU.  550 MPs in Parliament backed David Cameron when they supported the legislation to hold the 2016 EU referendum. 

The only mindset I have is having respect for democracy which clearly we don't share.

26 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

I support democracy which is why I support Boris Johnson implementing the democratic 2016 EU referendum result. Boris Johnson is doing exactly what he said he will do during the Tory leadership campaign. Our Parliamentary representatives gave whoever is our Prime Minister the authority to do exactly what Boris Johnson is doing when they overwhelmingly voted in favour of triggering Article 50 making leaving the EU without a deal the legal default position. David Cameron made it clear to the electorate before the 2016 EU referendum that if the UK people voted to leave the EU then the UK would leave the EU and there would be no second referendum or  renegotiation about remaining in the EU.  550 MPs in Parliament backed David Cameron when they supported the legislation to hold the 2016 EU referendum. 

The only mindset I have is having respect for democracy which clearly we don't share.

Possibly shutting down a Democratic parliament to ram something home without people being able to do anything about it is NOT democratic, no matter how you spin it

38 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Possibly shutting down a Democratic parliament to ram something home without people being able to do anything about it is NOT democratic, no matter how you spin it

Those MPs who seek to take no-deal off the table are not behaving in a democratic way because we all know to rule out a no-deal is effectively the same as remaining in the EU which is not what the democratic UK people voted for in 2016.  The people have already given Boris Johnson a mandate to ram home the implementation of the democratic EU referendum result. 

Edited by Lockdoctor

1 minute ago, Lockdoctor said:

Those MPs who seek to take no-deal off the table are not behaving in a democratic way because we all know to rule out a no-deal is effectively the same as remaining in the EU which is not what the democratic UK people voted for in 2016.  The people have already given Boris Johnson a mandate to ram home the implementation of the democratic EU referendum result. 

The thing is, all of you extremist Brexiters seem to have a total contempt for parliamentary democracy.

Unluckily for you and your fellow extremists, Parliament has seen off bigger sets of bullies than you lot in the past  I’m confident that they can do so again.

4 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

The thing is, all of you extremist Brexiters seem to have a total contempt for parliamentary democracy.

Unluckily for you and your fellow extremists, Parliament has seen off bigger sets of bullies than you lot in the past  I’m confident that they can do so again.

I am not a Brexiteer as you call them because I voted to remain in the EU.  The reason I  have supported our country leaving the  EU since 24th June 2016  is because I strongly believe in democracy. 

I don't have contempt for Parliament unlike those who wish to ignore our Parliamentary Democracy voting in favour of triggering Article 50 which passed into law the UK will leave the EU with or without a deal. 

16 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

Haha twist and turn as usual, I just knew you would bring up the issue of no deal instead of answering my point

1 hour ago, Lockdoctor said:

Those MPs who seek to take no-deal off the table are not behaving in a democratic way because we all know to rule out a no-deal is effectively the same as remaining in the EU 

it certainly isn't the same as remaining in the EU.

26 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

it certainly isn't the same as remaining in the EU.

You can't seriously deny that the aim of those MPs  who seek to take no-deal off the table is for our country to remain in the EU which is against the democratic wishes of our people who voted to leave the EU in the 2016 EU referendum.  The MPs have had three chances to take  no-deal of the table and on each occasion a majority of MPs have voted against the Withdrawal Agreement supported by Theresa May.  

Edited by Lockdoctor