Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

10 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

The head of the Port of Rotterdam said last year, that it would take two to three years just to train up enough new customs officials to deal with freight coming in from the UK after Brexit.

The guy who I read seemed to think France was sorted. I'll find the link.

Worth pointing out though that Rotterdam is by the biggest port in Europe (the world?) So their staffing issues might be bigger.

1 minute ago, tinfoilhat said:

Worth pointing out though that Rotterdam is by the biggest port in Europe (the world?) So their staffing issues might be bigger.

Ten times more freight goes between the EU and Dover than the UK and Rotterdam.

8 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

France doesn't need to sort much : most of the freight transiting via Calais is outbound to the UK (UK imports much more than it exports - "they need us more than we need them", remember?)

That freight is arriving in Calais on lorries or rail, e.g. from Rotterdam where its been transhipped  from arriving cargo ships, for loading onto UK-bound ferries and Euroshuttles.

It's UK customs that need sorting for that: because that freight is outbound to the UK, so leaving France, it's not French customs responsibility to check it as it goes out of France, it's UK customs responsibility to check it as it gets into the UK.

The expected queues won't be on the French side (-too much), especially if the UK just waves through everything coming in down in Dover to try and prevent the problem (...but then, creating lots of other problems, particularly of the drug/people/weapons/etc smuggling kind).

They'll be bad in Kent on the return side though (insufficient UK infrastructure), to the point where EU27 hauliers will soon stop taking contracts for UK imports deliveries and sending trucks through (to stop their rolling stock from getting stuck, empty, in the UK for days on end).

UK hauliers, without the requisite permits for continental driving and picking up (read up on that if needed) won't be able to take up enough of the slack in imports delivery contracts.

Edited by L00b

10 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Depending in which side you are on, depends on which guy you beleive/prefer for news.

15 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Serious answer, your other half is not the only one who's life depends on medication, my own is on the same footing. But I still back Brexit and the Governments ability to keep us supplied with our life saving drugs.

Another serious question, why would Brexit stop these drugs getting here. Are the foreign pharmaceuticals just going to stop sending them to us as a punishment for Brexit. I doubt it very much. Regarding the delay at the Ports, the French big wig said its under control and he can see no reason for delays. I must try to find his name.

Angel1.

It's been pointed out to you many times by myself and others why a customs barrier will stop flow of trade.

It's now been pointed out to you in Govt planning documents that there will be delays.

This is not something you can dismiss as project fear - this is going to happen and people are going to do. The utter selfishness you show because of this tells me all I need to know about your empathy, your logic and critical decision making skills.

Led by donkeys is becoming more and more the reality here. But the populace is going to rise up and there is going to be serious civil disorder from this and I know whose door they will be kicking in.

11 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

This fella?  Jean-Marc Puissesseau

https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/no-deal-brexit-dover-calais-ports-consequences-queues-france/

41 minutes ago, retep said:

Is Puissesseau still pushing the same line of bullcrap as back in January before the 'first' Brexit deadline? Looks like it.

Meanwhile, far from the "it will all be fine" one liners unsubstantiated by any concerete evidence, here is rather the contrasting view about Calais, as of early July 2019, from a highly-respected Brexiter (yes, there are some of these to be found, and Richard North is certainly one of those), moreover who is a professional customs & safety expert. 

Edited by L00b

33 minutes ago, Obelix said:

It's been pointed out to you many times by myself and others why a customs barrier will stop flow of trade.

The ‘no deal deniers’ on here would have done well to have watched the interview with the Professor of Nuclear Medicine at University College London  on Channel Four earlier this year.

She said that it was completely irrelevant that an agreement had been reached between the NHS and the EU about radioactive materials for X-ray machines and radiotherapy, because most these material come from Brussels in a small van which would be swamped in the cluster**** at Dover. 

These materials have a very short shelf life and are supplied weekly which is why they can’t be sourced in the US.

4 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

(...)

These materials have a very short shelf life and are supplied weekly which is why they can’t be sourced in the US.

Ah, give it up now: they can get flown in by the RAF's Spitfires sorry, Galaxy airlifters, in what is by now typical Brexit "spend £10 to save £0.01" problem-solving :D

13 minutes ago, L00b said:

Ah, give it up now: they can get flown in by the RAF's Spitfires sorry, Galaxy airlifters, in what is by now typical Brexit "spend £10 to save £0.01" problem-solving :D

These materials could be flown from the US but being radioactive would have to be flown on specially chartered aircraft which would increase the cost to the NHS by literally 1000’s of percent.

Just as well Boris has earmarked more money for the health service. They’ll need it.

31 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

These materials could be flown from the US but being radioactive would have to be flown on specially chartered aircraft which would increase the cost to the NHS by literally 1000’s of percent.

Just as well Boris has earmarked more money for the health service. They’ll need it.

Well quite, that was the sense of my "£10 for £0.01" quip.

The problem for Boris -and you all, by extension- is that there is little such 'new' or 'more' money to be had for the NHS: it's now been confirmed by NHS England's very own CFO, that over £1bn of Boris' recent £1.8bn promise to the NHS, is withheld money that should have long gone to the NHS already, but never did (see today's news, take your pick from Sky, Mirror, Guardian etc.)

Your public healthcare -and public services more generally, including frontline like police & fire brigade- have been deliberately cash-starved for years, so that future Tory governments could make these promises...and you know what they say about "one in the hand or two in the bush", right? I'd check very carefully on whether these spending commitments are actually spent in the end, if I were you.

Accessorily, you could factor all that, against the cost of Brexit planning and no deal contingency measures to the Exchequer, to date (significantly higher than this new-not new money for the NHS). And I'm not just talking about the public-money-to-friends-for-nothing à la Chris 'cancelled ferry contracts' Grayling, here.

Brexit is such a con on the British public purse, of unprecedented proportions, and yet so much of your population not only don't seem to care one bit at this senseless waste, they want to double-down on it with a no deal Brexit! :loopy::lol:

Edited by L00b

2 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

The ‘no deal deniers’ on here would have done well to have watched the interview with the Professor of Nuclear Medicine at University College London  on Channel Four earlier this year.

She said that it was completely irrelevant that an agreement had been reached between the NHS and the EU about radioactive materials for X-ray machines and radiotherapy, because most these material come from Brussels in a small van which would be swamped in the cluster**** at Dover. 

We can always give the EU their nuclear waste back.