Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

1 hour ago, retep said:

Looks like they took precautions a year on well done them.

One of those precautions was sacking him.

In related news, is this Boris applying the pressure to the EU ??

I assume the EU will respond in kind, flooding our shores with sun soaked retirees from the Cosa Del Sol ? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49393556

The UK government has said rules allowing EU nationals to live and work freely in the UK will end in the event of a no-deal Brexit on 31 October.

Theresa May had considered extending freedom of movement to 2021 or allowing EU citizens to stay for three months before applying for a longer stay.

Those options have now been dropped, in favour of a new approach to be set out later.

Edited by geared

2 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

If you are so confident, why did you give Farage £25?

That was well before Boris was PM. I still support Farage, and I hope a deal is done before the forthcoming GE that will enable the Tory and Brexit Party's to annihilate the Liebour rabble, and the LibDums.

Angel1.  

6 hours ago, Mister M said:

I've been listening to LBC yesterday & today & there have been some heart rending stories of people with terrible illnesses, parents of very sick children with life limiting illnesses that are now having the extra worry of not knowing of their medicines (which are manufactured in Europe) will be available when they need them. 

I think people who are now gloating about the supposed superiority of the British, their 'bulldog spirit' and 'we won the war' crap, 'we have the balls to do it' should listen to the people in the front line - the most vulnerable, who are going to be affected.

When you parrot the Mark Francois, the Jacob Rees Moggs of this world, they're doing just fine. They'll be gorging themselves in one of the many HoC tax payer subsidised restaurants, while vulnerable people die.

No deal Brexiters are either very rich and can isolate themselves from the worst of a no deal Brexit, or very stupid people who just don't care about others.

You are swallowing the remoan at any cost guff. There is no doubt in my mind that medicines will be as available after we leave as they are to-day.

Angel1.

5 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

OK, Parliament should be given a vote but only as long as they vote for the deal presented to them?

So Parliament is just a rubber stamp for the Government, like the Central Committee of the Chinese state or a Soviet politburo?

Not really ‘taking back control’, is it?

I’ve never said anything or implied parliament should ever be a rubber stamp institution. But if the EU has said there is no other deal on offer the ones who voted against one cannot complain if we now leave without one. I’ve said before you don’t get everything in a negotiated deal. So to the parliamentarians who turned it down for whatever reason stop crying we can’t leave without one when you voted against one.

3 hours ago, Obelix said:

Serious question..

My other half is dependant on drugs which have a limited shelf life. She has a months supply at a time and cannot get any more.

Interrupt that supply for more than a few days and she dies.

What do you suppose we do when the expected disruption to drug supplies come at Brexit day. You voted for this shambles. Whats your solution? Suck it up and die?

Serious answer, your other half is not the only one who's life depends on medication, my own is on the same footing. But I still back Brexit and the Governments ability to keep us supplied with our life saving drugs.

Another serious question, why would Brexit stop these drugs getting here. Are the foreign pharmaceuticals just going to stop sending them to us as a punishment for Brexit. I doubt it very much. Regarding the delay at the Ports, the French big wig said its under control and he can see no reason for delays. I must try to find his name.

Angel1.

6 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

But if the EU has said there is no other deal on offer the ones who voted against one cannot complain if we now leave without one. 

Not true.

The deal we have now is still on offer and every single credible economist, agrees that is the best for the UK economy.

46 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Another serious question, why would Brexit stop these drugs getting here. Are the foreign pharmaceuticals just going to stop sending them to us as a punishment for Brexit. I doubt it very much. Regarding the delay at the Ports, the French big wig said its under control and he can see no reason for delays. I must try to find his name.

Disruption at the ports will cause delays in all sorts of supply chains. Those organisations who don't hold large stocks of drugs (or anything else for that matter) because their business model has been built on the JIT supply chains enabled by the single market and customs union are going to struggle and may not survive

A larger problem is going to be the longer term future of the pharmacutical industry.  Faced with diverging regulatory systems, the manufacturers are going to aim at the biggest market and concentrate on getting approval in the EU first.

The regulator has moved, those who visit the regulator (and their expenses which supported local hotels etc) will be moving with them, 

If manufacturers start to focus on the EU then it starts to make sense to move manufacturing and research into the EU especially if there is longer term disruption at the port and increasing tariff and non-tariff barriers.

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Not true.

The deal we have now is still on offer and every single credible economist, agrees that is the best for the UK economy.

The deal negotiated with the EU is what’s being discussed on here. We voted to leave and parliament had the chance to vote for one they turned it down now they can’t say we can’t leave without one when they voted against one 3 times.

2 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Regarding the delay at the Ports, the French big wig said its under control and he can see no reason for delays. 

The ONLY way there would be no delays is if there were no checks on anything travelling into or out of the country. The ONLY way that this could happen is if we were in a customs union, something which I assume you would not support.

2 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

You are swallowing the remoan at any cost guff. There is no doubt in my mind that medicines will be as available after we leave as they are to-day.

Angel1.

Ah, well, we will all pop round to your mind for our insulin in November 

43 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

The ONLY way there would be no delays is if there were no checks on anything travelling into or out of the country. The ONLY way that this could happen is if we were in a customs union, something which I assume you would not support.

Delays of stuff going into France, no there won’t be. ANPR cameras are up, lots of new staff trained and ready to go. Systems in place. Do we have those things? No we do not.

26 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

lots of new staff trained and ready to go. 

The head of the Port of Rotterdam said last year, that it would take two to three years just to train up enough new customs officials to deal with freight coming in from the UK after Brexit.