Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

7 hours ago, Baron99 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49352250

This idea is dead in the water already due to one major fundamental problem? 

It's called Jeremy Corbyn.   Who but the desperate would want to align themselves with Corbyn & make him a de facto PM? 

There won't be any stomach in the HoC to support his ambitions.  Thank God. 

As much as everyone blames Brexit supporting MP's for being self-absorbed, Corbyn is just as bad if not worse.

Funny how he's spent several years sitting on the fence over this issue, only now is he trying to model himself as opposing Brexit.

His great plan conveniently involves him becoming PM?? 

5 hours ago, melthebell said:

A hell of a lot of Americans have Irish heritage and are proud of the fact

A hell of a lot of English have Irish heritage & are proud of the fact but we don't fall for the guff of the likes of Pelosi. 

Former Chief Economist of the NFU paints a particularly bleak picture for farmers:

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/in/pages/19999/attachments/original/1565772927/PV_NoDeal_SeanRickard_13Aug19_FINAL.pdf

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/business/farming/farming-news/957560/claim-that-no-deal-brexit-could-force-more-than-half-of-farms-to-stop-trading/

Many of them voted to leave the EU in good faith because people like Boris Johnson told them it would mean an improved trading relationship with the EU and a better future.

The reality looks very different now.

It would be a disgrace to democracy to impose no deal on this country without the public having the final say…

5 hours ago, Baron99 said:

A hell of a lot of English have Irish heritage & are proud of the fact but we don't fall for the guff of the likes of Pelosi. 

yet again you fail to put critical thinking into action and yet again fail to recognise its NOT about republicans versus democrats. its about people of irish descent...and those that recognise the fact, that they do not want the good friday agreement, and the last couple of decades worth of peace putting in jeopardy

On 14/08/2019 at 19:56, Mister Gee said:

De Pfeffel is in full on Trump mode.

The first rule of Brexit, is to blame everyone else.

▪️Blame Remainers.

▪️Blame the EU.

▪️Blame Parliament.

▪️Blame John Bercow

I'm now confused. I thought the brexit line was that no deal is not a problem and is what everyone voted to do. If so, why on earth would they need to blame anyone? Shouldn't they be shouting from the rooftops that they are responsible?

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 05:35, Baron99 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49352250

This idea is dead in the water already due to one major fundamental problem? 

It's called Jeremy Corbyn.   Who but the desperate would want to align themselves with Corbyn & make him a de facto PM? 

There won't be any stomach in the HoC to support his ambitions.  Thank God. 

While I personbally think that any alternative is better than crashing out with no deal, I can't help thinking that installing Corbyn as a 'caretaker PM' is somewhat akin to installing Senator Palpatine as Supreme Chancellor. He won't give up the power without a fight and we will be all dragged down the dark side...

10 minutes ago, DnAuK said:

While I personbally think that any alternative is better than crashing out with no deal, I can't help thinking that installing Corbyn as a 'caretaker PM' is somewhat akin to installing Senator Palpatine as Supreme Chancellor. He won't give up the power without a fight and we will be all dragged down the dark side...

I wondered if this is the real reason LD won't support him.

Once installed how could we have a GE? The FTP Act specifies a no-confidence vote doesn't it? Whats to stop Corbyn then just not doing that and staying in power? Perhaps the answer is someone else would table it and even if all labour MP's voted confidence, there are enough other MP'sin the other parties to bring him down.

Edited by nightrider

13 minutes ago, nightrider said:

Whats to stop Corbyn then just not doing that and staying in power? 

The fact that he is more interested in making changes than being Prime Minister.

Without a working majority he would be unable to get any of his more radical proposals through so it would be a waste of time just being Prime Minister for the sake of it.

48 minutes ago, DnAuK said:

What’s the point in having a caretaker government to stop a no deal brexit if the EU won’t talk about any deal except the one already negotiated and a parliament who have rejected the said deal on three occasions. 

3 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

What’s the point in having a caretaker government to stop a no deal brexit if the EU won’t talk about any deal except the one already negotiated and a parliament who have rejected the said deal on three occasions. 

To secure an extension to Article 50, remove the threat of no-deal then allow a general election which will be effectively a second referendum with the Tories, Farage and UKIP standing for Leave and pretty much everyone else standing for Remain. 

22 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

To secure an extension to Article 50, remove the threat of no-deal then allow a general election which will be effectively a second referendum with the Tories, Farage and UKIP standing for Leave and pretty much everyone else standing for Remain. 

Personally I don’t think the EU will grant us a further extension. Why would they the UK could and would have taken a no deal scenario of the table by voting for the deal which was negotiated but rejected three times by parliament. The EU have said time and time again they believe it is a good one and the only one on the table.

7 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

The EU have said time and time again they believe it is a good one and the only one on the table.

No, the EU have said time and time again that the best deal is the one we already have.

It is now simply a case of no-deal or remain, so of course they’ll give us an extension.