Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

1 hour ago, convert said:

I'd consider the vote to be 44% in favour, 37% against, and 19% abtaining.

However I know that remainers like to insist that those not voting against them MUST be for them (as you yourself have done may time sin this thread).
Much fairer to exclude those with no opinion, and look at those who actually expressed one.

The fairest would be to include the 44% for proroguing and the 19% without an opinion, as the 63% portion of UK population (est.) which is obviously happy or apathetic (same difference) about the executive to ride roughshod over the UK's sovereignty, for implementing the most extreme form of Brexit which none of the Leave campaigns actually campaigned for...

...wouldn't you say?

No insistence whatsoever about the above, and I have not been a remainer for 546 days :)

Edited by L00b

2 minutes ago, L00b said:

The fairest would be to include the 44% for proroguing and the 19% without an opinion, as the 63% portion of UK population (est.) which is obviously happy or apathetic (same difference) about the executive to ride roughshod over the UK's sovereignty, for implementing the most extreme form of Brexit which none of the Leave campaigns actually campaigned for...

...wouldn't you say?

No insistence whatsoever about the above, and I have not been a remainer for 546 days :)

No I wouldn't say that is fairest. We don't know what the 19% want, so they should be excluded from both of the other options.

Nice try though.

14 hours ago, convert said:

I believe that proroguing Parliament to be wrong. I also believe that our elected MPs are also wrong for delaying, or even thwarting Brexit.

Lets not forget that many Brexit supporting MP's voted against May's deal (and leaving the EU in March)

46 minutes ago, convert said:

No I wouldn't say that is fairest. We don't know what the 19% want, so they should be excluded from both of the other options.

Nice try though.

Well, to take no decision is always, ultimately, a decision: it's a decision to not take a decision, and therefore to eventually be ruled by those who do take the majority decision.

Subtracting that 19% doesn't alter my point, by the way: according to that Comres poll, the majority of those polled who expressed an opinion, 44%, are obviously happy about the executive to ride roughshod over the UK's sovereignty, for implementing the most extreme form of Brexit which none of the Leave campaigns actually campaigned for.

Your point about "not knowing what the 19% want" happens to mirror exactly the problem which the EU27 has with the UK and its Brexit 3 years on, we in the EU27 are still none the wiser about what the UK actually wants (besides having its cake and eating it, of course! :lol:)

The manifestos and campaigns for the 2019 GE expected this autumn, may shed some light. Johnson may get his majority, and you can all go at last, assuming you haven't already by then.

Alternatively, this time the EU26 may listen to Macron and not give you another extension, even if you ask, so GE or not, you will be out regardless. Now, will you be  thanking or blaming the EU for making your government and politicians respect the will of the people at last? ;)

Edited by L00b

1 hour ago, geared said:

Lets not forget that many Brexit supporting MP's voted against May's deal (and leaving the EU in March)

An often ignored point!

A Brexit supporting MP who votes against May’s deal is a hero.

A Remain supporting MP who votes against May’s deal is a traitor.

It shows a logic fail among many Leave supporters. A well known right-wing poster on here who happens to live in Angela Smith’s constituency, would constantly refer to Theresa May’s deal as a ‘sell-out deal’, a ‘betrayal deal’ or ‘a Brexit in name only deal’. However, when Angela Smith voted against the deal three times, she was repeatedly called a traitor by this same poster.

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

An often ignored point!

A Brexit supporting MP who votes against May’s deal is a hero.

A Remain supporting MP who votes against May’s deal is a traitor.

Where does our current PM sit with regards to this??

15th Jan:

R9zLAge.jpg

12th March

D7mmWoK.jpg

Well this thread is nothing if not educational.

There we were ticking along happily for 50 years ,with the occasional EU negotiation to hit the news,but hardly a subject for discussion amongst the general population.

Now,thanks to a few on the looney right,it has become a burning issue that has split the country apart.

Having tried to acquaint myself with Schengen,world trade,tariffs and the numerous versions of Brexit,it now seems that we must bone up on The British Constitution.I seem to remember that this was included in my A level syllabus but I must have skipped the proroguing lecture.

For all this discussion I can’t for the life of me see the benefit of leaving the EU,and certainly not in view of 3 years (and counting) of chaos.

3 years of negotiations to leave the EU ..........which were thwarted by those who wish to leave the EU.

Whither to next?

On 13/08/2019 at 12:42, Delayed said:

It's not a lack of understanding.

It's a fairly accurate description, which word would you prefer?

Ask yourself if News Broadcasters would use that word to describe possible trade negotiations. 

We're not on the news... :hihi:

Offense for offense sake.. says more about you.... not much else tbh :roll:

Johnson doing his Trump impression:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49348072

Utterly ridiculous.. it'll appeal to the woof woofs tho... sadly :(

Edited by Magilla

4 minutes ago, RJRB said:

(...)

Whither to next?

BofE shifting cash into euros ahead of Brexit

With the £ plunging on currency markets, inflation has now jumped to 2.1%, but the UK economic indicators are hitting the buffers (negative growth last quarter): stagflation is a possibility.

A situation not seen by the UK since the 70s, I believe. Which would be quite the poetic outcome, for Brexiteers after time-travelling to yesteryear, no?

Assuming we leave on Oct 31st, what will happen next?

What views does Boris Johnson hold? I did a Google on his views on climate change, he tries not to rock the boat, but he does not believe in climate change.

Rather like his position on Brexit, he will choose the side that he thinks will work best for him in Parliament.

He is in favour of taking action, but only in the far distant future, but he loves to criticise China or the USA.

Well you've got to leave around 6 weeks after calling a General Election so that probably rules one out this side of Christmas but I'd expect one around

late Feb / early March 2020.