Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

31 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Pound crashing, foreign investment down to its lowest level in mote than a decade, economy contracting. And that's with the mere threat of a no deal.

I can do more if you want.

Bless. We've got enough on our plate as it is, let's get side tracked with something else. Besides, it absolutely rules in people like Kate hoey (nutjob) and pritti Patel (dangerous nut job - who unilaterally decides to put a salary of £36k on all immigrants wanting a job here, ruling out most nurses etc and other important skilled workers).

Again, I'm not sure this is true either... 

The only news article I can find about that are ones saying that Priti Patel has been urged by the Centre of Social Justice to increase the threshold to £36k. She hasn't 'unilaterally' decided to set that as the threshold, no decision has been made, and it's not a figure she came up with anyway. 

17 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

Is it? 

https://economia.icaew.com/news/december-2018/foreign-investment-in-uk-highest-level

"Foreign investment in UK at record level. The UK remains a top destination for foreign investment, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS), with investment increasing by 12.6% last year" 

December 2018 news about the 2017 figures, eh?

What difference could more up-to-date data make, I wonder?

Edited by L00b

14 minutes ago, L00b said:

December 2018 news, eh?

What difference could the missing 2019 data make, I wonder?

I can't read that as I'm not subscribed to the Financial Times. Apparently 2017 was the last year that we have full details for - at least that I can find. 

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/balanceofpayments/bulletins/foreigndirectinvestmentinvolvingukcompanies/2017#fdi-flows-continued-to-be-affected-by-mergers-and-acquisitions-activity-in-2017

(Note that it says 'this is the latest release' ) 

Does the FT article say that total foreign investment in the UK is down to the lowest levels in more than a decade?  

Edited by Robin-H

23 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

I can't read that as I'm not subscribed to the Financial Times. Apparently 2017 was the last year that we have full details for - at least that I can find. 

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/balanceofpayments/bulletins/foreigndirectinvestmentinvolvingukcompanies/2017#fdi-flows-continued-to-be-affected-by-mergers-and-acquisitions-activity-in-2017

Does the FT article say that total foreign investment in the UK is down to the lowest levels in more than a decade?  

Than 6 years, rather than a decade. Your link is official stats, which are always released much later after consolidating all data.

Plenty of economists and financial journalists have been keeping real-time tabs since before the ref, and particularly since triggerring Art.50, which are all very well documented online.

In particular, automotive FDI in the UK is so far past on its ar*e, it's through the floor (from billions to double-digit millions: two orders of magnitude down). Brexit or not irrespective.

Edited by L00b

53 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

that's a very specific/limited use of the word 'investment' though isn't it - that's overseas* bankers buying stocks/shares to take advantage of a devalued pound. it's not R&D, it's not infrastructure, it's not factories, it's not training, etc.  

(*mostly american, by those numbers, who can smell blood in the water, and the imminent prospect of a heavily one-sided trade deal)

Edited by ads36

16 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

I read it somewhere, I'll have a look. I also read the pound has dropped https://www.express.co.uk/finance/city/1164678/pound-to-euro-exchange-rate-pound-sterling-uk-recession-GBP-sterling-GDP-figures

And here's the economy contracting https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/aug/09/uk-economy-contracts-on-back-of-brexit-uncertainty

Maybe sunlit uplands look different to you.

Just now, L00b said:

Than 6 years, rather than a decade. Your link is official stats, which are always released much later after consolidating all data.

Plenty of economists and financial journalists have been keeping real-time tabs, which are all very well documented online.

In particular, automotive FDI in the UK is so far past on its ar*e, it's through the floor (from billions to double-digit millions: two orders of magnitude down). Brexit or not irrespective.

I'd be interested in seeing some. I searched for more up to date data, but those official stats were the most recent ones I could find. 

I'm am sure that Brexit has caused investment into the UK to drop, but I was questioning the claim that foreign investment in the UK is down to the lowest levels in more than a decade, which even the FT article doesn't suggest is true. 

2 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I read it somewhere, I'll have a look. I also read the pound has dropped https://www.express.co.uk/finance/city/1164678/pound-to-euro-exchange-rate-pound-sterling-uk-recession-GBP-sterling-GDP-figures

And here's the economy contracting https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/aug/09/uk-economy-contracts-on-back-of-brexit-uncertainty

Maybe sunlit uplands look different to you.

I didn't query the other statistics. I'm a remainer, so not sure what your comment about sunny uplands is about! Just like quoted statistics to be accurate is all! 

I did find an article that said foreign investment into the UK is down to lowest level in a decade, but that was from 2015. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34996207

2 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

I'm am sure that Brexit has caused investment into the UK to drop, but I was questioning the claim that foreign investment in the UK is down to the lowest levels in more than a decade, which even the FT article doesn't suggest is true. 

One thing that Brexit apologists can’t argue with is the fact (not opinion, not Project Fear’) that every time Brexit looks more likely the value of Sterling falls and every time Brexit looks less likely, Sterling recovers.

A fundamental economic metric such as the value of a country’s currency responding in such a way, shows beyond doubt that both Brexit and the fear of Brexit are bad for our economy.

2 hours ago, L00b said:

Never as big a chuckle, as good old Nigel can produce:

(for anyone wondering, this is likely the start of the Bannon playbook's chapter, about how to handle the UK Monarchy's pivotal role in the upcoming UK constitutional crisis - can't call Lizzie and Charles traitors, without massaging public opinion about it a little bit beforehand)

After reading reading your post, it is evident you have not read the article, you have taken snippets totally out of context and posted them as fact. Get a grip, read the WHOLE article, then post it - if you dare, as it shows your post as mere diatribe.

Angel1.

22 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

After reading reading your post, it is evident you have not read the article, you have taken snippets totally out of context and posted them as fact. Get a grip, read the WHOLE article, then post it - if you dare, as it shows your post as mere diatribe.

Angel1.

I have read the article, thanks. I always do so, before commenting and linking. Not much point otherwise, is there? 

And I don't need to post it: it's freely available and I linked it, so any thread reader can click the link, read the whole article and make up their own mind.

But by all means, feel free to explain to me how I have "taken snippets totally out of context" and how that shows my post as "mere diatribe". Go on.

I'm guessing you're very proud of your Royal Family, but that you're a little sore (and/or embarassed) at finding out that you have paid £25 to support someone, who is quite happy to bad-mouth your Royal Family when he's a long way away and there's no journalist in the audience?

Can you guess how much sympathy I have for you, there? 

Edited by L00b

15 hours ago, Pettytom said:

On other forums I use, there is a facility to rate posts. 

It it is a shame that I can’t give this post the five gold stars that it deserves on here.

🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 

I do agree on that, it was a very good well rounded post, even if it is a direct opposite  response to my post.I fully expected a bit of a backlash to my post, but that was the best one.

Edited by Ontarian1981

On 07/08/2019 at 08:04, L00b said:

I think the only way the wind can be taken out of the sails of the maniacs in governement and Parliament, and their deluded followers, is for them all to have a hard Brexit with the WA deal, or the hardest of Brexits with no deal (either/or is fine). Once they stand in the ruins, they will know they were wrong. 

Because otherwise, should they feel 'cheated' out of it, we'll never hear the end of this excrement.

This doesn't mean that those of right mind should bow down to Brexiters, or give over to them, but I don't believe that there is enough determined, concerted resistance to avoid what looks inevitable now, never mind within a useful timescale before Halloween.

People are just worn down and fed up with it, they'll take anything to make it 'end' (of course, we all know that this will only be the beginning: there's an FTA to negotiate, and once the UK is a 3rd party country,  it'll take years). And that goes for the EU27 just as much as for the UK (though it's far less in headlines, and far less frequent in news here).

A referendum at this stage is a non runner I think, not before a GE anyway. A GE might be the only alternative to a crashout Brexit.

It is literally unbelievable how the UK government are behaving right now, they are every bit as bad as Trump, and in some ways worse. Trump is a bit 'off', but people like Gove are clever. Sneaky and deceitful, but clever. 

The UK has gone full on  withthe Cummings method now: manipulating people with populist 'us against them', nationalist rhetoric. It was very disturbing to see when Johnson, Raab, Javid and Gove all kept repeating the new mantra: 'the undemocratic backstop'. They will keep repeating it untill it is the first thing anyone (particularly Brexiteers) think when they hear the word 'backstop' (undemocratic). It's Goebbels-level propaganda techniques. 

Gove also trying to frame the UK bluff, as the EU refusing to negotiate, is utterly contemptible, but that seems to be official UK policy now: play the biggest game of chicken there ever was, look how big our massive British balls are.

Well, they are risking the livelihoods and welfare of millions of UK and EU citizens, and for what? Nonsense. Very few adults in the room, and no saving them from themselves.

The longer this goes on, and the worse the rhetoric gets, the less we EU27 actually want to save Brits from themselves. As things stand, I'd expect a very cutting "I told you so" from Macron to his fellow EU26 heads of state, when he categorically refuses another extension. 

Just go.

I agree that Cummings is trying to whip up divisions with his 'us [the people] against them [politicians]'.

Unfortunately for Cummings, it was disclosed by the Guardian that he received €235,000 in EU handouts, because he is part owner of a farm.

https://mobile.twitter.com/search?q="€235,000 in EU"&src=trend_click

Undermines the image he is trying portray of 'man of the people against the Euro elite'