Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

9 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

Doubt it. They’ll all be off overseas to use their skills.

Leaving unpaid student loans as a reminder to the Brexiters of the talent that has scarpered

They could leg it Scotland - Indyref2 looks a certainty if there's a no deal and they'll leave this time round. I'm giving serious consideration to a move.

19 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

They could leg it Scotland - Indyref2 looks a certainty if there's a no deal and they'll leave this time round. I'm giving serious consideration to a move.

Edinburugh is a lovely city, even Glasgow is nice these days.

and Falkirk, well....

visitscotland_34232250972-1200x800.jpg

C' mon guys, the country survived Thatcherism ,surely she will get through Brexit too.

You may say that it's easy for me to say, but that's not the case. I have 3 middle aged kids and 3 grandsons over there plus a brother and family and many friends from the old days.I also have taken a big hit on my small UK pension due to this Brexit business and the dipping pound that started as soon as the referendum results were announced.

Saying all that, I still think leaving will be for the better, in the long term.

14 minutes ago, Ontarian1981 said:

C' mon guys, the country survived Thatcherism ,surely she will get through Brexit too.

You may say that it's easy for me to say, but that's not the case. I have 3 middle aged kids and 3 grandsons over there plus a brother and family and many friends from the old days.I also have taken a big hit on my small UK pension due to this Brexit business and the dipping pound that started as soon as the referendum results were announced.

Saying all that, I still think leaving will be for the better, in the long term.

Leaving the UK?

I think that I agree. 

19 minutes ago, Ontarian1981 said:

Why and how? Most economists say we will take a big hit short term, and long term we'll end up taking crap trade deals because we won't have a choice. If you've heard something better, please, tell me. Belief that it will be better sadly doesn't count.

3 hours ago, retep said:

I see no mention of African swine fever outbreak in the EU, best keep it quiet eh.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/african-swine-fever-in-pigs-in-poland-lithuania-and-latvia

Tell you what, mate: when you start to show some balance in your posts, I'll show more balance in mine :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

The only problem with that is, if I ask you why it will be for the better, you will be as clueless as all the other leave supporters on this thread who in tens of thousands of posts haven’t come up with one single reason why it would be better. 🙄

Edited by Top Cats Hat

7 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

The only problem with that is, if I ask you why it will be for the better, you will be as clueless as all the other leave supporters on this thread who in tens of thousands of posts haven’t come up with one single reason why it would be better. 🙄

If you're a republican and listen to Retep then losing the monarchy is a benefit. About the only one I've ever heard...

6 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Why and how? Most economists say we will take a big hit short term, and long term we'll end up taking crap trade deals because we won't have a choice. If you've heard something better, please, tell me. Belief that it will be better sadly doesn't count.

It is all far from doom and gloom old chap. There are many economists and folks way smarter than you or I who think much differently to the shark tank on SF.

http://theconversation.com/how-the-uk-can-benefit-from-a-free-trade-future-after-brexit-even-outside-the-single-market-84171

3 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

It is all far from doom and gloom old chap. There are many economists and folks way smarter than you or I who think much differently to the shark tank on SF.

http://theconversation.com/how-the-uk-can-benefit-from-a-free-trade-future-after-brexit-even-outside-the-single-market-84171

This forecast model they discuss relies on Foreign Direct Investment, since they wrote this piece FDI has collapsed to the point that it is now negative - ie. UK businesses are investing more abroad than foreign business is investing in the UK.

They also refer to ‘19th century trading partners’ hurrah! The world hasn’t changed at all since then, Britain still is an empire!

Finding opinion pieces such as this one you cited does little to convey any confidence in Brexit or the economic future of this once great nation.

That all said, there will be opportunities for the UK that didn’t exist whilst part of the EU, mainly for the rich to get much, much richer.

7 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

The fact that you had to dig up an opinion piece by a group of free market economists as evidence shows how marginalised those who believe in a no-deal exit from the EU are.

Yes, we know the benefits of Brexit to multinational corporations and very wealthy individuals. What are the benefits to ordinary people?

24 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

(...)

Yes, we know the benefits of Brexit to multinational corporations and very wealthy individuals. What are the benefits to ordinary people?

Food rationing = nationwide diet, mass sustenance garden learning

Out of reach fuel prices = local habits-forming, non-fossil travelling/transporting

Severely devalued £ = domestic-only holidaying, death of online shopping (overseas + domestic, re. fuel prices/transport cost issue above)

Reduced/privatised NHS = mass self-medication learning

Curtailed range of imported medicines = rejuvenation of nationwide demographics

Hey, it does look good, tbh.

(I've not included blue passports, because 2nd and 3rd points)

:lol: