Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

11 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

But this can't be new information for people. You could tell how this was going to go for years. Umpteen people have said it in the media, and it's been mentioned on every brexit thread on here. It's obvious.

You're right, it isn't new information.

For remainers, it's the same consequences of Brexit as expected for the past 4 years.

For leavers, it's still "Project Fear".

What HAS changed, however, is who is giving that information.

Pre-referendum, and then pre-first Brexit Day, it was Cameron's government and its referendum leaflet, Mark Carney and trade/economics experts.

These days, increasingly, it is coming from the horse's mouth: Canadian, Australian, Japanese, American etc. premiers and secretaries for trade.

So perhaps that gets the penny to drop for some. Even though it's looking well past too late to change anything about it.

'Been telling you for months and years now: such is the level of geopolitical ignorance and misplaced entitlement in the UK, that you need to Brexit (with or without a deal, I wish you *with* a deal), for the British people to realise en masse (the 52% and the undecideds) what the UK's EU membership ever did for them (particularly since those so resolutely against that membership, cannot ever say how the EU has personally affected them negatively).

Short of that, you won't ever put Brexit behind you, for more generations than the Miners' strike.

Edited by L00b

2 hours ago, Pettytom said:

An interesting point made by more than one of those contributors is how Brexit has strengthened the EU. Despite some on here predicting the imminent collapse of the EU once Britain has left, not a single elected, populist party in Europe, including Marine Le Pen’s Front National, is advocating leaving the EU.

Is it any wonder when they look at the mess we are in? The respect we once had internationally is gone, and I doubt it will ever return.

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

An interesting point made by more than one of those contributors is how Brexit has strengthened the EU. Despite some on here predicting the imminent collapse of the EU once Britain has left, not a single elected, populist party in Europe, including Marine Le Pen’s Front National, is advocating leaving the EU.

Is it any wonder when they look at the mess we are in? The respect we once had internationally is gone, and I doubt it will ever return.

.. and strengthened nationalism and warmonger talk in China :?

Leavers won’t listen.

They think knowing a sound bite or two and reading the Express or Mail is evidence of solid research into the EU.

I waver between wanting to help them avoid personal disaster, and wanting them to fall as fast and hard as possible.

I’m in the latter frame of mind at the moment. 

28 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

Leavers won’t listen.

They think knowing a sound bite or two and reading the Express or Mail is evidence of solid research into the EU.

I waver between wanting to help them avoid personal disaster, and wanting them to fall as fast and hard as possible.

I’m in the latter frame of mind at the moment. 

So what would you do personally to prevent personal disaster? It's all well and good saying that you may or may not want to help people but the way I see it is that none of us really have a say in the matter anymore..

We have an unelected prime minister that seems determined to leave despite what the country may or may not think now. 

So my view is that it doesn't matter what you think or your leaver neighbors, Boris is having the final say. So whatever help you think you can provide isn't going to make a difference

What can anyone really do??

It seems like now the Government is trying to take the decision away from Parliament, find a loophole to push through a no-deal Brexit and prevent any democratic vote on stopping it.

1 hour ago, geared said:

What can anyone really do??

It seems like now the Government is trying to take the decision away from Parliament, find a loophole to push through a no-deal Brexit and prevent any democratic vote on stopping it.

Which is ironic with the recent shouting from leavers about democracy being destroyed lol

2 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Which is ironic with the recent shouting from leavers about democracy being destroyed lol

Well that’s the thing innit.

You have to destroy democracy to get the democratic decisions through

2 hours ago, Delayed said:

So what would you do personally to prevent personal disaster? It's all well and good saying that you may or may not want to help people but the way I see it is that none of us really have a say in the matter anymore..

We have an unelected prime minister that seems determined to leave despite what the country may or may not think now. 

So my view is that it doesn't matter what you think or your leaver neighbors, Boris is having the final say. So whatever help you think you can provide isn't going to make a difference

Well we keep fighting or we don’t.

One option is to let it happen and then let Brexiters experience it.

Im not complacent but I think I’ve done enough to protect my family financially.

Obviously we could go into a deep recession and our services could collapse. I can’t do much to protect against illnesses my family may suffer and not be able to get treatment, the closure of my kids schools or a deterioration in law and order. All those things are possible but I think Brexiters have to experience it now. It’s the only way they will learn.

The EU say that they won’t negotiate a new deal. The UK parliament has said the deal negotiated with the EU is dead. Parliament say a no deal outcome has to be stopped. So if the EU will not negotiate a new deal and the UK parliament wants to rule out a no deal how do we get passed the deadlock?

27 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

(...)

Obviously we could go into a deep recession and our services could collapse. I can’t do much to protect against illnesses my family may suffer and not be able to get treatment, the closure of my kids schools or a deterioration in law and order. All those things are possible but I think Brexiters have to experience it now. It’s the only way they will learn.

It certainly is...but it won't happen overnight: it'll likely take 20 years or even longer.

Long enough, at any rate, for enough gammons to push the daisies, and changes in media-consumption habits to make the pernicious influence of hate-monging red tops redundant.

You've got quite the stretch of lean years ahead of you already anyway, in view of the UK-wide investment shortfall of the last 2-3 years.

Well, us all tbh, if you go out by H'ween without a deal (I'd expect it to precipitate a global financial crisis, it's the logical end game of the disaster capitalists and their tax evading buddies terrified about the 2020 EU tax anti-avoidance measures - nothing on the scale of 2008, but still a serious bump in the road just the same). But you most, still.

14 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

The EU say that they won’t negotiate a new deal. The UK parliament has said the deal negotiated with the EU is dead. Parliament say a no deal outcome has to be stopped. So if the EU will not negotiate a new deal and the UK parliament wants to rule out a no deal how do we get passed the deadlock?

You don't.

With 4 months to go (far less, after taking off holidays and party convention season), that's why no deal is such a quasi-certainty at the moment.

So, err...bye.

Edited by L00b