Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

23 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

You have claimed however that one of the characteristics is that they have achieved very little in life. As I've stated, I find it very hard to believe that any poll or study has stated that, and have yet to been proved wrong. 

I doubt that any poll or study would state that a characteristic was that they ‘have achieved very little in life’ as those are my words. A sociologist would use a less pejorative and more scientific metric for economic and social underachievement.

Edited by Top Cats Hat

3 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

If they were totally taken in then they are not fit to handle the finances of millions of their citizens.

They don’t.

Governments of the member states handle the finances of the millions of their own citizens. 

1 hour ago, L00b said:

Ireland isn't a bargaining tool. It's an EU member state. It's not in its geopolitical interest to see a border with Northern Ireland, nor is it in the interest of the EU's Single Market to allow a third country (what the UK will be after Brexit) to have an open border with it. So the EU defends both Ireland's interest and its collective own.

The EU27 have long expected to cut their cloth after the UK leaves, including in case the UK welches on its divorcing tab. As a fervent Eurosceptic, I trust that you are sufficiently familiar with the EU budget and members' contributions, to realise how manageable those national contributions increases will be for the EU27?

You might like to take a look at Ireland's economy and Brexit preparations of the last 2 years, by the way. They'll take a hit, sure. Nowhere near like what you seem to think, however. And orders of magnitude less, at a national scale, relative to the UK.

We are of course talking about the Republic, here. Not the UK region that is Northern Ireland, for which you will be paying. Having seen their Brexit forecasts and preparations...don't fancy yours much :lol:

There is going to be massive costs to the EU, and that's just in flags and stationery, unless you can get another mug to join.

No deal no bill

1 minute ago, retep said:

There is going to be massive costs to the EU, and that's just in flags and stationery, unless you can get another mug to join.

Which flags are going to change? No need to change the EU flag (nor for that matter the Union Flag - for now).

4 minutes ago, retep said:

No deal no bill

So refusing to pay our debts is going to make it:

a) More likely to get good trade deals outside the EU.

b) Less likely to get good trade deals outside the EU.

People who welch on their debts generally tend to find it hard to get credit.

50 minutes ago, retep said:

No deal no bill

Firstly, reneging on our commitments to the EU would be the end of us as a country. Nobody would be interested in a trade deal with a country that doesn’t pay its debts.

Secondly, why would the EU need to change its flag? I’m assuming that most Brexiters can count to 27  and to 12. Some of them could probably use their fingers to help

Boris has found a few more quid behind the sofa.

No-deal Brexit plans to get £2.1bn boost https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49183324

Add that to the billion bung to to gob frothers at the DUP and you have to ask, even as a Tory voter, if austerity was a ideological move or for the good of the country’s bank balance.

57 minutes ago, retep said:

Really?

I guarantee that Scotland and Ireland* will leave the UK before the EU loses any more members.

(*and if yesterday’s Newsnight is to be believed, even Wales is seriously reconsidering remaining in a bankrupt union with England, after Scotland and Ireland leave.)

21 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Really?

I guarantee that Scotland and Ireland* will leave the UK before the EU loses any more members.

(*and if yesterday’s Newsnight is to be believed, even Wales is seriously reconsidering remaining in a bankrupt union with England, after Scotland and Ireland leave.)

I actually think that Boris is too much of a pragmatic politician to allow this to happen. He won’t want to be remembered as the last PM of the United Kingdom.

The clues are there already. He’s sending aides to talk to people that he said he wouldn’t talk to. He’s muttering about a two year transition. It is seven weeks until parliament reconvenes, by then he could have gone bat**** remain.

3 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

I actually think that Boris is too much of a pragmatic politician to allow this to happen. He won’t want to be remembered as the last PM of the United Kingdom.

Well if you believe George Osborne, he only supported Johnson because he believed that he was the only leadership contestant who was likely to turn around at some point and say ‘Sorry chaps, this isn’t going to work’ and sack off the whole sorry business.

In other news, Michael O’Leary of Ryanair has said that they are likely to get rid of 900 staff next month, not only because of the 737-800 Max debacle, but because the prospect of a no-deal Brexit is hitting ticket sales.

Project Fear, no doubt! 🙄

7 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Really?

I think Ireland are about as likely as Portugal to leave the UK.

It would be sad to see Scotland go, they are a nice successful group of people. They add to our nation.

I would not be happy to see the Welsh leave.

8 hours ago, retep said:

No deal no bill

We've been offered deals.

We've been offered something like a Norway deal, we said no - too close a relationship.

We've been offered something like a Canada deal, we said no - not close enough.

We came up with the withdrawal agreement, as a stepping stone, somewhere to wait while we figure out what we want. The EU agreed, then we voted it down.

If we end up with no deal, we really can't blame the EU.

Edited by ads36