Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

Project Fear

:lol:

Why would the EU kick one of their own after Brexit, pray tell? 

Edited by L00b

US politicians - We'll block trade deal if Brexit imperils open Irish border:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/31/brexit-mess-with-good-friday-and-well-block-uk-trade-deal-us-politicians-warn

"Pete King, the Republican co-chair of the Friends of Ireland group, said the threat to abandon the backstop and endanger the open border was a “needless provocation”, adding that his party would have no compunction about defying Trump over the issue.

“I would think anyone who has a strong belief in Northern Ireland and the Good Friday agreement the open border would certainly be willing to go against the president,” King said."

37 minutes ago, L00b said:

Project Fear

Also seems to have missed the point of the article - the Irish economy would suffer because of falling demand from the UK. i.e. The UK economy would tank.

48 minutes ago, L00b said:

Project Fear

The EU gave the Greeks a good kicking and I’m sure they’re one of their own.

1 hour ago, L00b said:

Project Fear

I thought the Express were pro-Brexit?

13 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

Well needed IMO, and more specifically they gave the populist PM a good kicking, pretty much embarrassing him in front of his country.

Did a similar thing happen to the Italians?  I remember the new government wanting to go mad on spending when they came in?

Edited by geared

33 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

The EU didn't give the Greeks a good kicking.

The EU respected the Greek people's will to stay in the €urozone (71% in June 2015), despite their parlous public finances and refusal to entertain belt-tightening measures, by finding a workable agreement with the Greek government of the time.

The Greek economy, and by extension the Greek people, have done really rather well out of it since (...considering where and what they were starting from).

They exited the last bailout plan last August, by the way. Between the £ dropping like a lead bucket and Johnson's spending promises, if he (or Corbyn - the irony! :lol:) should implement them, you're getting lined up for your own bailout plan in a few years' time.

So if I were a Brexiteer, I'd spend a little less time phantasizing about the EU breaking down or the € tanking, or spaffing about consequences of Brexit on the EU27,  and a little more time pragmatically wondering how does my pro-Brexit government plan to keep the lights on past Christmas 2019, tbh.

Saw some interesting stats mentioned today, about automotive sector investment in the UK year-to-date. £90m in the first 6m of 2018. Compared to £347m same period last year. In the context of a minimum of £330m spent by m'facturers on Brexit contingency planning so far. But not a consequence of Brexit. No Sir.

Edited by L00b

1 hour ago, L00b said:

Project Fear

You mean the UK weren't one of their own, there's a surprise.

1 hour ago, altus said:

Also seems to have missed the point of the article - the Irish economy would suffer because of falling demand from the UK. i.e. The UK economy would tank.

The UK economy is not dependant on Ireland.

1 hour ago, retep said:

The UK haven't / aren't / won't be "kicked" by the EU. Any damage is entirely of the UK's own making (or more to the point the no deal brexiteers).

46 minutes ago, retep said:

The UK economy is not dependant on Ireland.

The article didn't say that - I don't think you read it.

2 hours ago, retep said:

What on earth gave you that idea? :confused:

You made a claim that the EU would kick Ireland after it exceeds its usefulness (subtext of your claim: after Brexit). I just asked you for why the EU would do that.

Still waiting for you to explain your claim.

2 hours ago, L00b said:

The EU didn't give the Greeks a good kicking.

The EU respected the Greek people's will to stay in the €urozone (71% in June 2015), despite their parlous public finances and refusal to entertain belt-tightening measures, by finding a workable agreement with the Greek government of the time.

The Greek economy, and by extension the Greek people, have done really rather well out of it since (...considering where and what they were starting from).

They exited the last bailout plan last August, by the way. Between the £ dropping like a lead bucket and Johnson's spending promises, if he (or Corbyn - the irony! :lol:) should implement them, you're getting lined up for your own bailout plan in a few years' time.

So if I were a Brexiteer, I'd spend a little less time phantasizing about the EU breaking down or the € tanking, or spaffing about consequences of Brexit on the EU27,  and a little more time pragmatically wondering how does my pro-Brexit government plan to keep the lights on past Christmas 2019, tbh.

Saw some interesting stats mentioned today, about automotive sector investment in the UK year-to-date. £90m in the first 6m of 2018. Compared to £347m same period last year. In the context of a minimum of £330m spent by m'facturers on Brexit contingency planning so far. But not a consequence of Brexit. No Sir.

You have to be joking. The Greeks were punished or given a good kicking the choice of words is the same. The EU knew the Greeks were not in a position to join the Euro but fudged the figures so they could be admitted then when it went belly up they imposed stringent terms on them if they wanted to remain. I’m pretty sure the Greek people thought they had been kicked by the EU.

21 minutes ago, L00b said:

What on earth gave you that idea? :confused:

You made a claim that the EU would kick Ireland after it exceeds its usefulness (subtext of your claim: after Brexit). I just asked you for why the EU would do that.

Still waiting for you to explain your claim.

I said expect the EU would kick Ireland to one side , 

and Ireland may wake up when it gets  it's bill after Brexit.