Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

13 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

I think you mean calibre, which also says something about yours given the above!

Says more about my phone’s capacity to scramble my writing.

Thank you for adding to the debate by pointing out the autocorrect.

Did you have anything meaningful to say?

Edited by Pettytom

On 29/07/2019 at 18:12, Top Cats Hat said:

I guarantee that the first Irish citizen to be arrested or detained for refusing to have their vehicle searched will have tens, if not hundreds of thousands of people on the streets in border areas.

If the Irish know about anything, it is standing up for themselves.

The UK has said it doesn’t want checks on the border. So the problem is with the EU insisting on border checks. Drop the backstop and the problem goes away. I agree the Irish do stick up for themselves and they will let the Republics government know their feelings.

2 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

The UK has said it doesn’t want checks on the border. So the problem is with the EU insisting on border checks. Drop the backstop and the problem goes away. I agree the Irish do stick up for themselves and they will let the Republics government know their feelings.

No, the problem is with monitoring cross-border trade, to avoid WTO complaints and sanctions.

What the UK says about borders doesn't matter one bit: either it sets up a border in NI and monitor goods crossing, or it doesn't and (1) gets it in the neck at the WTO within a week from dozens of WTO member countries for tarriff dumping (which would increase normal-level tariffs on all exported UK goods overnight from the ruling), (2) besides wiping out the UK agrifood sector and what is left of UK manufacturing within less than 12 months (Brexit economists' own projection).

28 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

The UK has said it doesn’t want checks on the border. So the problem is with the EU insisting on border checks.

Nope, the EU don't want them either! The problem is, of course, that if they don't take place then both sides fall foul of WTO rules re: tarrifs.

The EU are just being honest in stating that they will happen, the UK government is not.

In reality both sides *will* need to put checks at the border.

28 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

Drop the backstop and the problem goes away.

Nope, the real problem happens the second we leave. It's the backstop that prevents it!

2 hours ago, Pettytom said:

What about those of us who are employers and “remoaners” ?

What a childish term that is. Shows the calibre  of the leavers who use it.

The use of the term ‘remoaner’ always makes me laugh because the typical leave voter, if such a thing exists, is someone who has achieved very little in life but chooses to blame everyone but themselves for their plight. Professional moaners, in other words. 🤣

1 hour ago, L00b said:

No, the problem is with monitoring cross-border trade, to avoid WTO complaints and sanctions.

What the UK says about borders doesn't matter one bit: either it sets up a border in NI and monitor goods crossing, or it doesn't and (1) gets it in the neck at the WTO within a week from dozens of WTO member countries for tarriff dumping (which would increase normal-level tariffs on all exported UK goods overnight from the ruling), (2) besides wiping out the UK agrifood sector and what is left of UK manufacturing within less than 12 months (Brexit economists' own projection).

Let the EU do the checks.

2 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

The use of the term ‘remoaner’ always makes me laugh because the typical leave voter, if such a thing exists, is someone who has achieved very little in life but chooses to blame everyone but themselves for their plight. Professional moaners, in other words. 🤣

Hmm. How do you know that..? 

3 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

Hmm. How do you know that..? 

From the million odd profiles and surveys of various referendum voting groups in the past three years.

Just now, Top Cats Hat said:

From the million odd profiles and surveys of various referendum voting groups in the past three years.

Surveys on referendum voting groups ask if people have achieved much in their lives? And some people say no? 

Have you got a link to any of those? If there are a million odd shouldn't be too hard to dig out some!  

9 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

Let the EU do the checks.

So what stops the UK from falling foul of the same rules that those checks satisfy for the EU?

The EU only check whats entering the EU... that's their responsibility.

Stuff entering the UK... that's the UK's!

4 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

Surveys on referendum voting groups ask if people have achieved much in their lives? And some people say no? 

Sociological studies usually do more than ask people.

The fact that there are a million odd studies actually makes it harder to dig out the relevant ones.