Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

22 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Don't worry, he's not singling out all middle aged white men.  He's specifically talking about conservative party members.

Im not worried at all. 

Just curious as to why race or gender would have any relevance? 

Black unemployment levels are at an all time low in the US. (During obamas obamas presidency black unemployment doubled from 8% to 16%) The Dow is at an all time high. 

Id love to debate politics with anyone but I dont think it's a good fit if your just going to shout Orangeman Racist etc....

I welcome you all into a grown up chat about US politics though if you'd oblige me?

Edited by crookesjoe

55 minutes ago, crookesjoe said:

Black unemployment levels are at an all time low in the US. (During obamas obamas presidency black unemployment doubled from 8% to 16%) The Dow is at an all time high. 

Id love to debate politics with anyone but I dont think it's a good fit if your just going to shout Orangeman Racist etc....

I welcome you all into a grown up chat about US politics though if you'd oblige me?

Maybe in the Trump thread as the brexit threads not really relevant?

45 minutes ago, crookesjoe said:

Not true, Obama started with Black unemployment at 10.1%,, that rose to 16% (in 2011) as a result of the largest recession in living memory left by Bush.

When Obama left office, Black unemplyment stood at 8%, and it's largely follwed the same path:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/194151/unemployment-rate-of-african-americans-in-the-us-since-1990/

You'll notice the rate of reduction under Trump has slowed!

Obama created over 3m jobs for black americans, so far Trump has created 0.7m... according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics :?

The *vast* majority of reduction in black unemployment happened under Obama's presidency.

By Trump’s own standard, Obama was better for black Americans:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2018/08/21/by-trumps-own-standard-obama-was-better-black-americans-than-he-is/

Your notion is like claiming you climbed everest after being dropped off near the top by helicopter and only climbing the last little bit.

In the meantime, the black homeownership rate has fallen to its lowest level on record in the first quarter of this year:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/black-homeownership-drops-to-all-time-low-11563183015

.. and yet.. you start doing that with dodgey made up stats! :?

I did, and when your notions where shown to be complete garbage, you ran away!

1 minute ago, Magilla said:

Not true, Obama started with Black unemployment at 10.1%,, that rose to 16% (in 2011) as a result of the largest recession in living memory left by Bush.

When Obama left office, Black unemplyment stood at 8%, and it's largely follwed the same path:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/194151/unemployment-rate-of-african-americans-in-the-us-since-1990/

You'll notice the rate of reduction under Trump has slowed!

Obama created over 3m jobs for black americans, so far Trump has created 0.7m... according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics :?

The *vast* majority of reduction in black unemployment happened under Obama's presidency.

By Trump’s own standard, Obama was better for black Americans:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2018/08/21/by-trumps-own-standard-obama-was-better-black-americans-than-he-is/

Your notion is like claiming you climbed everest after being dropped off near the top by helicopter and only climbing the last little bit.

In the meantime, the black homeownership rate has fallen to its lowest level on record in the first quarter of this year:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/black-homeownership-drops-to-all-time-low-11563183015

.. and yet.. you start doing that with dodgey made up stats! :?

I did, and when your notions where shown to be complete garbage, you ran away!

Fact: Black employment in the US is higher now then ever before.

Yes or no, is my above statement true or not?

2 hours ago, crookesjoe said:

What is wrong with being a white middle aged man?

Nothing individually, but when as a collective they almost exclusively comprise the electorate for the next PM then perhaps that’s a problem.

4 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

Nothing individually, but when as a collective they almost exclusively comprise the electorate for the next PM then perhaps that’s a problem.

Black/White/Gay/Straight/Asian/Transexual etc. are all part of the electorate. 

I don't understand your point?

1 hour ago, crookesjoe said:

Fact: Black employment in the US is higher now then ever before.

Fact: The *vast* majority of that employment happened under Obama. The rate of black employment has slowed under Trump.

Yes or no, is my above statement true or not?

It's true, but most of it can't be attributable to Trump or his policies.

As before, your notion is like claiming you climbed everest, despite someone else carrying you 90% of the way up! :loopy:

https://www.apnews.com/d7a35c3d0ad342ad8b3a041226f06746

"The administration was born on third base and wants to make us think they hit a triple"

Clearly... you fell for it! :?

The reality is that the rate of black employment under Trump has slowed by comparison, as it has across the wider population:

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/15/638851896/fact-check-white-house-apologizes-for-false-claim-about-african-american-jobs

"85,000 more African-Americans found work during the 18 months before Trump took office than the 18 months since.

The pattern is similar for the broader population. In the 18 months since Trump was sworn in, the U.S. has added 3.4 million jobs, about a quarter-million fewer jobs than were added in the previous 18 months."

After 28 months, that gap has widened to around  810,000 fewer jobs:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2019/07/05/trump-is-falling-almost-1-million-jobs-short-vs-obama/

Edited by Magilla

42 minutes ago, crookesjoe said:

I don't understand your point?

The electors for the Tory leader are overwhelmingly white, male and middle class

2 hours ago, crookesjoe said:

Of the Conservative Party?

I think you’ll find that they’re not.

On 20/07/2019 at 07:53, crookesjoe said:

Im not worried at all. 

Just curious as to why race or gender would have any relevance? 

The tory party membership just happens to be made up of a higher proportion of white men than you would expect if it were representative.  It also happens that it's made up of people who are more wealthy than a representative sample would be.  It's not wrong to point these facts out.

UK trade envoy to Canada resigned this morning.

Turns out the Canadians don't see any interest in rolling over CETA conditions for the UK post-Brexit, when the UK is going to zero-tariff unilaterally post-Brexit, covering 95% of CA-GB trade.

Who knew? :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, according the Times, your new PM-elect gets briefed, and a healthy dose of reality checking is dispensed:

"... In talks last week with Sir Mark Sedwill, the cabinet secretary, Johnson made clear that he wants the civil service to launch a big advertising campaign to prepare business for no-deal.

Whitehall sources say the presumptive prime minister was left “visibly shaken” after being briefed by civil servants to expect civil unrest if he goes through with his threat.

A senior government source revealed that importing fresh food through Dover would be only the third highest priority in the event of no-deal, with clean water only fifth. Top of the list are life-saving drugs, followed by medical devices and fresh food. Nuclear power plant parts are then given priority over the import of chemicals to purify drinking water."

Edited by L00b