Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

4 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

<...>

With Johnson, we do seem to be in a Trumpian world where what you say is more important than what you know. The danger is that the EU may just see Johnson as a joke who is impossible to deal with and may just allow a no deal to go ahead knowing that it will damage the EU but will cripple the UK.

What do you mean, "with Johnson"?

You already forgotten 'Brexit means Brexit', 'easiest deal in history', 'sunlit uplands', 'no deal is better than a bad deal', 'citizens of nowhere', 'queue jumpers', (etc, etc, etc.)?

And -bit in bold- don't get my hopes up like that.

Hunt on BBC Breakfast this morning said he'd employ a Swiss style arrangement with no border posts, checks or delays.

Although the BBC reports:

The Swiss border is often held up as an example of what could be achieved in Ireland, but here too there is physical infrastructure at all the main crossings - it is a hard border.

According to information from the International Road Transport Union (IRU), the average waiting time for lorries carrying goods ranges from 20 minutes to more than two hours if full inspections have to be carried out.

8 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Hunt on BBC Breakfast this morning said he'd employ a Swiss style arrangement with no border posts, checks or delays.

Although the BBC reports:

That BBC report is not news, but just restating simple facts: there have been dozens of media pieces about the Swiss border (also the Norwegian border) like this one, since the referendum campaign started in February 2016.

The only newsworthy bit, is that this particular one of the two contestants for being your next Prime Minister, is either a liar or an imbecile.

15 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Ah, this will be the ‘non-existent’ Swiss border that I have spend literally dozens of hours queueing at, to get trucks through on an ATA Carnet?

The Swiss border is typically open with no checks taking place, at least from what I've seen.  It is however often manned and they can and do stop vehicles checks sometimes.  We were stopped and told to clean the foot of snow off our roof.

16 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

The Swiss border is typically open with no checks taking place, 

The small roads are yes, but all the major roads in and out have full on customs posts. 

Huge development today.  17 Tory MPs and around 35 abstain to ensure Parliament voted 315-274 to block any future prime minister from unconsitutionally proroguing Parliament to push through a No Deal Brexit.

The fightback starts, and Johnson's premiership will have to face up to the fact that an anti-No Deal alliance will not let him throw centuries of parliamentary democracy out simply to satisfy 160,000 middle class, aged bigots.

45 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

The small roads are yes, but all the major roads in and out have full on customs posts. 

You've misunderstood what I said.  I didn't say that there were no posts, I just said that there were typically no checks taking place.  I've driven through on the Geneva Autoroute blanche quite a number of times and only ever been stopped once for the snow on the roof issue.

1 minute ago, Cyclone said:

You've misunderstood what I said.  I didn't say that there were no posts, I just said that there were typically no checks taking place.  I've driven through on the Geneva Autoroute blanche quite a number of times and only ever been stopped once for the snow on the roof issue.

Were you carrying commercial goods?

Jesus H Christ guys.  Perhaps the first meaningful sign that Johnson will not be allowed to subvert Parliament and push through a No Deal Brexit happens, and you're bickering about European roads?

17 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Were you carrying commercial goods?

Clearly not.  Did I miss that we were talking about commercial goods specifically crossing the swiss border?

11 minutes ago, bendix said:

Jesus H Christ guys.  Perhaps the first meaningful sign that Johnson will not be allowed to subvert Parliament and push through a No Deal Brexit happens, and you're bickering about European roads?

It's good that parliament won't let him do this.

But I didn't vote conservative, I didn't vote for brexit and frankly this entire disaster is just one never ending car crash of bigotry and stupidity.  Individually we've never had the power to change it, so I see little point in worrying about it, I'm personally going to be fine anyway, and I hope the brexit voters all drown and then go to the hell they probably imagine exists.

10 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Clearly not.  Did I miss that we were talking about commercial goods specifically crossing the swiss border?

Yes, in alchresearch's post: talks of borders in the Brexit context only gain any relevance when discussing the transit of commercial goods, because Brexiteers only ever talked of -and promised- 'frictionless' trading.

The Swiss border is not frictionless, by any stretches of meaning (it is for people: Switzerland is in Schengen).

51 minutes ago, bendix said:

Huge development today.  17 Tory MPs and around 35 abstain to ensure Parliament voted 315-274 to block any future prime minister from unconsitutionally proroguing Parliament to push through a No Deal Brexit.

The fightback starts, and Johnson's premiership will have to face up to the fact that an anti-No Deal alliance will not let him throw centuries of parliamentary democracy out simply to satisfy 160,000 middle class, aged bigots.

My take-away from that one, is that 274 MPs voted to be silenced by the executive.

Clearly, they are unfit to represent their constituents' best interests.

Edited by L00b