Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

Well Lewis Hamilton won’t be appearing on any €uro coins or notes.

He won a record sixth British Grand Prix on Saturday and it didn’t even make the news! 🏎😡

2 hours ago, Nightbird said:

Its great that as a country we can place Alan Turing on our bank notes. If we were in the Euro we couldn't do that.

and we arent in the euro cos we used our sovereignty to opt out of the euro 👍

9 hours ago, melthebell said:

and we arent in the euro cos we used our sovereignty to opt out of the euro 👍

Britain chose not to go into the Euro when the Euro came into being. I don't think a member state currently in the Euro could come out of it and remain a member state; and I believe a prerequisite of joining the EU now is adopting the Euro as your currency.

1 hour ago, Nightbird said:

Britain chose not to go into the Euro when the Euro came into being. I don't think a member state currently in the Euro could come out of it and remain a member state; and I believe a prerequisite of joining the EU now is adopting the Euro as your currency.

but it STILL negates the old bull**** about we dont have sovereignty ;) we dont have any at all now as we have to bend over backwards to the EU AND will for the rest of the world for trade deals.

1 hour ago, Nightbird said:

Greece was offerred exactly that solution during its financial crisis, so that it could regain its national currency and devalue it as a stop-gap solution. There was never any risk or talk of Greece exiting the EU; only the €urozone.

Since the Lisbon Treaty, joining the €urozone is indeed a pre-requisite for all prospective EU member states.

So if the UK Brexits, but then changes its mind in x years' time (or months' time after a no deal-exit :twisted:), it would have to undertake to ditch Sterling (adoption of € is mandatory, but not strictly timetabled).

Farage is now trying to claim that the European Commission is trying to create some kind of communist superstate. They’ll miss him when he’s gone, as he must provide endless comedy value in a grey bureaucratic chamber. 😂

The downside of course, is that he embarrasses the UK with his constant, bonkers pronouncements.

34 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Farage is now trying to claim that the European Commission is trying to create some kind of communist superstate. They’ll miss him when he’s gone, as he must provide endless comedy value in a grey bureaucratic chamber. 😂

The downside of course, is that he embarrasses the UK with his constant, bonkers pronouncements.

There is a silver lining to Farage's incohetent rants in the EU Parliament, and to his fellow BP MEPs' inane propaganda posts on social media: BP MEPs are not getting into any Committees :thumbsup:

15 minutes ago, L00b said:

BP MEPs are not getting into any Committees :thumbsup:

Nor should they be, given that their election campaign clearly stated that their only reason for standing was to ‘disrupt the workings of the EU.’

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Nor should they be, given that their election campaign clearly stated that their only reason for standing was to ‘disrupt the workings of the EU.’

Ah, well, given that state of affairs, I'd call their non-selection in EP committes a failure to deliver on their electoral promises to their electorate.

Question: can BP voters start calling their MEPs traitors yet, then?

(I'm not up on Brexiteer procedural timescales, I still haven't seen that limited company's disciplinary procedures)

Edited by L00b

12 minutes ago, L00b said:

Ah, well, given that state of affairs, I'd call their non-selection in EP committes a failure to deliver on their electoral promises to their electorate.

I think that you are ascribing too much sophistication to their plan.

Their disruption seems limited to turning their backs on Beethoven’s wonderful Opus 125 in Dm and doing a lot of boorish shouting.

Oh, and booing. They were doing a lot of booing when Ursula von der Leyen said that she was open to a further Brexit extension today. 

15 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I think that you are ascribing too much sophistication to their plan.

Their disruption seems limited to turning their backs on Beethoven’s wonderful Opus 125 in Dm and doing a lot of boorish shouting.

Oh, and booing. They were doing a lot of booing when Ursula von der Leyen said that she was open to a further Brexit extension today. 

Ah yes, saw that earlier.

It was disappointing, actually: I was expecting the full "18 year old Brits on the Costas" experience, complete with drunken rants, fisticuffs and vomiting in the Parliament aisles :( 

Maybe these MEPs are too old. Or still holding back :D

Edited by L00b

20 minutes ago, L00b said:

It was disappointing, actually: I was expecting the full "18 year old Brits on the Costas" experience, complete with drunken rants, fisticuffs and vomiting in the Parliament aisles :( 

The Brexit supporters who cheer on this behaviour are like the stupid kid at the back of the class. They admire all the naughty and disruptive kids, then are confused and upset when the disruptive kids manage to blag lucrative jobs and they end up on the dole for spending more time at school laughing at the naughty kids than studying.