Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

Since brextremists seem to always be banging on about democracy but salivate at the thought of either of the brexiters get the job i thought id leave this here

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/12/world/europe/conservative-leadership-race.html

Patrick Dunleavy, professor of political science and public policy at the London School of Economics, said he would give the Conservative leadership contest “around two and a half points out of 10” as an exercise in democracy.

six hectic weeks of campaigning and a vote among the 160,000 members of the party — about 0.3 percent of voters — who are the only ones with a voice in this contest.

Edited by melthebell

3 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Since brextremists seem to always be banging on about democracy but salivate at the thought of either of the brexiters get the job i thought id leave this here

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/12/world/europe/conservative-leadership-race.html

The Conservative party is choosing a new leader; why should anyone else except Conservative party members have a vote on that?

Just now, Nightbird said:

The Conservative party is choosing a new leader; why should anyone else except Conservative party members have a vote on that?

im not the one consistantly banging on about democracy

58 minutes ago, Nightbird said:

But as soon as they are in office shouldn't we have a new vote to elect a new PM as the one who will be in office isn't the one that was voted for as head of the party that was elected?

Or isn't that democratic? </hypocrisy>

Edited by Litotes

53 minutes ago, Litotes said:

But as soon as they are in office shouldn't we have a new vote to elect a new PM as the one who will be in office isn't the one that was voted for as head of the party that was elected?

Or isn't that democratic? </hypocrisy>

The Tories didn’t even win an outright majority in 2017

They’re propped up by the DUP and at times rebel Labour MPs like Skinner, Hoey and Flint

13 hours ago, Nightbird said:

We have a parliamentary Democracy not a presidential one. Therefore if a party chooses a new leader he or she will take over the position left by their predecessor.

8 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

We have a parliamentary Democracy not a presidential one. Therefore if a party chooses a new leader he or she will take over the position left by their predecessor.

If Boris tries to follow his hard line, no deal Brexit, you might just find out what that really means. 

A PM has to command the support of the house. There are serious doubts as to whether Boris can do this.

36 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

If A PM has to command the support of the house. There are serious doubts as to whether Boris can do this.

Even less chance if the Lib Dems win the Brecon and Radnorshire by election.

He will then be two votes down on what Theresa May had to deal with so even less chance of getting another deal through Parliament.

(although Amber Rudd now seems to be coming out in support of No Deal but most commentators think that this is simply a ruse to get a job in a Johnson cabinet.)

5 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Even less chance if the Lib Dems win the Brecon and Radnorshire by election.

He will then be two votes down on what Theresa May had to deal with so even less chance of getting another deal through Parliament.

(although Amber Rudd now seems to be coming out in support of No Deal but most commentators think that this is simply a ruse to get a job in a Johnson cabinet.)

It wouldn’t be great for the rest of us but putting myself in Johnson’s shoes if I really wanted to Brexit (with or without a deal) then I wouldn’t put a single remainer in the cabinet. For practical reasons 

If he does put remainers in Then there is your answer about how he really feels - he would want them there to derail it because he doesn’t want to be the one to take us off a cliff.  And he would dress that up as a democratic exercise.

Long extension on the way

3 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

It wouldn’t be great for the rest of us but putting myself in Johnson’s shoes if I really wanted to Brexit (with or without a deal) then I wouldn’t put a single remainer in the cabinet. For practical reasons 

I believe the opposite.

Cabinet members risk losing their jobs if they vote against a government bill* so having them inside your cabinet give you more control.

(*except in the last days of May’s cabinet when she had lost all control)

3 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I believe the opposite.

Cabinet members risk losing their jobs if they vote against a government bill* so having them inside your cabinet give you more control.

(*except in the last days of May’s cabinet when she had lost all control)

She never had true control, and Johnson won’t have either.

The only way he can get Brexit through is to railroad it

19 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

She never had true control, and Johnson won’t have either.

She never had true control in as much as she was expected to balance Leavers and Remainers in her cabinet rather than hand out the jobs on merit.